Please help

Options
Hi,. I’m in a very bad place right now. I have been dealing with constipation and stomach issues for a long time. I gained a decent amount of weight from it as well. I started to exercise and track my calories 4.5 months ago and I lost about 8 pounds in total…my inches barely moved and I’m at a loss here. I checked my thyroid and unfortunately it came out perfect. I’m so sad and I don’t have it in me to keep trying anymore…please help me

Replies

• BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    We’re going to have to ask a few questions, I think, if we’re to help.

How many calories are you eating?

How do you measure those calories…to the gram on a kitchen scale or by measuring cups or guesstimating?

How tall are you? Current weight? (I’m assuming that you’re female from your user name).

That’ll do to start with…but be aware that unless you have a lot to lose your progress so far is good! You’ve been losing at around half a pound a week. That’s not a bad thing!

As far as your stomach issues and constipation goes - are you getting a decent amount of fibre in your diet?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    Have you seen a doctor for the constipation and stomach issues?
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,477 Member
    Options
    In addition to what has already been asked -
    Have you talked to a doctor about your GI issues?
    Are you drinking plenty of fluids? Dehydration definitely doesn't help things ahhhh "go smoothly," so to speak.

I'll echo the sentiment that half a pound a week is definitely not bad progress though. If the constipation etc is a problem/bothering you, by all means address that, but as far as the weight loss goes, keep up the good work! The inches will come off along the way
  • zfitgal
    zfitgal Posts: 478 Member
    Options

How do you measure those calories…to the gram on a kitchen scale or by measuring cups or guesstimating?

How tall are you? Current weight? (I’m assuming that you’re female from your user name).

That’ll do to start with…but be aware that unless you have a lot to lose your progress so far is good! You’ve been losing at around half a pound a week. That’s not a bad thing!

As far as your stomach issues and constipation goes - are you getting a decent amount of fibre in your diet?

I’m 35 years old…I’m 5”5 and I’m eating 1640 a day. I measured food by the gram with a good scale. I have lost weight before eating this number but not this slow. I am getting a decent amount of fiber in my diet. I had something called sibo and it screwed my entire body up and I haven’t been able to get it back. I started at 159 and I’m 152.

I work out 6 days a week for an hour each session. 3 weight trading and the other 3 cardio. I’m so sad right now.
  • zfitgal
    Options
    Yes and it’s been a long struggle and it’s still on going :(
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,429 Member
    Options
    zfitgal wrote: »

I’m 35 years old…I’m 5”5 and I’m eating 1640 a day. I measured food by the gram with a good scale. I have lost weight before eating this number but not this slow. I am getting a decent amount of fiber in my diet. I had something called sibo and it screwed my entire body up and I haven’t been able to get it back. I started at 159 and I’m 152.

I work out 6 days a week for an hour each session. 3 weight trading and the other 3 cardio. I’m so sad right now.

With your sibo history: Have you been treated? If so, does your medical team consider the sibo to be resolved? Have you consulted them about your current situation?

Most specifically, have you been referred to a registered dietitian to help you with an eating plan, since sibo can go hand in hand with nutritional deficiencies (as either causes or consequences, I gather, though I know very little specific about it)?

In someone with a normal GI system, the usual contributors to constipation are:

* Too little dietary fiber
    * Too little water/fluids
    * Too little dietary fat
    * Possible nutritional deficiency (magnesium is a common one)
    * Sub-ideal movement (i.e., exercise helps some people, especially exercise the moves the midsection)
    * >Maybe< insufficiently diverse gut microbiota (i.e., probiotics help some people, but given your medical history certain probiotics could be contraindicated for you, maybe)

I can understand that half a pound a week would seem frustratingly slow, but it's really not a terrible rate for someone who's not significantly overweight. 1640 doesn't seem unreasonable (I'm your height, have been your current weight as that's around where I was when I started on MFP part way through weight loss, but am older).

If you're not consulting a registered dietitian, in your case, I'd suggest asking for a referral if possible. The normal interventions may not work, given your health history.

Hang in there - please try not to be discouraged. I believe you can succeed, but it may take more than the average amount of patience and persistance, unfortunately. The end result will be worthwhile, though, I'm sure.

Best wishes!
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    Hi,. I’m in a very bad place right now. I have been dealing with constipation and stomach issues for a long time. I gained a decent amount of weight from it as well. I started to exercise and track my calories 4.5 months ago and I lost about 8 pounds in total…my inches barely moved and I’m at a loss here. I checked my thyroid and unfortunately it came out perfect.

Please don't say unfortunately it came out perfect. Let me be straight. I have no thyroid. They radiated and killed it. I weigh 110 lbs. Even if you had thyroid issues, that wouldn't be your main issue.

By "decent" amount of fiber, how much are you getting per day? If you're not sure, track it. Make sure you're getting at least the recommended daily amount, ideally more.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    How active are you in life outside of your workouts? One extreme is the desk jockey/couch potato where you hardly move at all vs someone who is on their feet constantly moving all day. That will factor in to your total daily energy needs.

If you're fairly inactive when NOT exercising, 1640 could be maintenance or pretty close. For comparison I'm 46, 5'5", 145ish and when I walk enough to get in 5-6k total steps per day I burn 1750 approximately. Desk job... Not terribly active beyond making the effort to walk more. No structured exercise but my regular day and 25-30 minutes brisk walk on the treadmill gets me to the 5k-6k mark. For me eating 1640 daily AND walking 25-30 minutes each day would mean a VERY slow rate of loss. A little under 1 pound per month.

I only mention my #s because we are similar in height, weight. If your job, hobbies, daily life (not counting your exercise) are somewhat active the 1640 could be a good # for you. But if not, that may be too high.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    I'd say more fat.

When I cut fat too low I create constipation.

Of course, I eat a lot of fiber and drink a lot of water, too.
  • Wen2lose
    Wen2lose Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Soluble fiber foods help things to " move along" I also had trouble with the constipation when my diet changed and lifestyle. Make sure you have lettece in your everyday meals at least once. Also vitamin supplements can mess you up too. I started taking them every other day. Good luck with it all! Don't give up! Find out what works with you!👌💕
  • zfitgal
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I took a look at your diary and have the following suggestions:

1. Swap out something like sugar or sodium for fiber so you can more easily track this
    2. In order to get a better sense of your fat (and fiber) consumption, stop using Quick Add
    3. Log every day

I use quick add only after it is measured in gram s and I’m not in the mood to find the food in the data base
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,739 Member
    Options
    Bloat and constipation and associated illnesses can certainly affect your APPARENT (i.e. your scale) weight even if there are changes to your underlying fat levels.

Therefore, and in your case, some of the resolutions (inches for example) may have less to do with calories and amount of fat reserves lost, and more to do with other ongoing health challenges.

A registered dietician or equivalent may be better able to advise you as to the amounts of fats and fibers you should be aiming for to help things along.

Your weight loss in spite of the challenges you face is proceeding along at a respectable 10kg / 22lb a year clip.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,429 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Bloat and constipation and associated illnesses can certainly affect your APPARENT (i.e. your scale) weight even if there are changes to your underlying fat levels.

Therefore, and in your case, some of the resolutions (inches for example) may have less to do with calories and amount of fat reserves lost, and more to do with other ongoing health challenges.

A registered dietician or equivalent may be better able to advise you as to the amounts of fats and fibers you should be aiming for to help things along.

Your weight loss in spite of the challenges you face is proceeding along at a respectable 10kg / 22lb a year clip.

Good observation.

To that, I'd add that if the underlying GI condition is not 100% resolved, along with any other health conditions being managed well enough to recede to deep background as issues, fast loss is a Really Bad Idea.

Stress is destructive to health.

Pre-existing or chronic health conditions are a physical stressor. Subjective felt stress related to the health condition(s) is a psychological stressor. Sometimes symptoms of health conditions (like poor sleep, as an example), or side effects of drugs used in treatment, are physical stressors. A big deficit (fast weight loss) is a physical stressor. The potential sub-ideal nutrition that comes with a big deficit (or with eating limitations due to health conditions or medications) is a physical stressor.

Stress is cumulative, stacks up, whether it's physical or psychological. It's not a good idea to add extra optional stress into the picture, if health is a priority as it is for most of us. Repeating myself: In such a scenario, pushing for fast loss is a really bad idea . . . especially if not so severely overweight that that in itself is a major health risk.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I took a look at your diary and have the following suggestions:

1. Swap out something like sugar or sodium for fiber so you can more easily track this
    2. In order to get a better sense of your fat (and fiber) consumption, stop using Quick Add
    3. Log every day

I use quick add only after it is measured in gram s and I’m not in the mood to find the food in the data base

Okay, but are you also inputting nutrient info when you're Quick Adding, or just calories?
  • zfitgal
    Options
    Just calories but I know the nutritional information so add that up as well and make sure I’m hitting the right numbers