Supplements for females? Anyone recommend creatine?

Options
Wondering if any females have had positive experiences with creatine supplementation? I have read mixed info online and would love to hear your thoughts! Males--if you have females in your life that you know use this, feel free to jump in as well!

Replies

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    I used it while marathon training about a decade ago. It was one you could mix into your water and ended up like you were drinking Tang 🤣

Any noticeable difference? Not for me as much as I recall but since it wasn't detrimental either, I'll call it a win 💁🏿‍♀️

The thing with any supplementation is to see what works for you. You may as well be open to experimentatuon because supplements often come in different forms, flavors, brands, etc.
  • nay0m3
    nay0m3 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    @MaltedTea That is great it wasn't detrimental....I have read that it does cause weight gain for some!

Any supplements or companies you suggest?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Suggest you have a read on Examine.com as they have a very good write up on creatine.

It's well studied and safe but doesn't work for everyone and that's not a male / female thing, it doesn't work that way.

Didn't work for me, either I'm a non-responder (my wife often calls me insensitive!) or maybe I simply get enough from my usual diet.
    Mixed info generally on the web sounds about right. Works well for some, zero noticable effects either good or bad for others, upset stomach for some.

Worth trying as it's inexpensive and safe. Any weight gain would be water retention not fat.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Everybody should be taking creatine monohydrate. It's cheap, safe, and beneficial to those who respond(66%). The only exception if you have existing kidney issues.
  • wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    I quit taking creatine because after a few years of use it started messing with my tummy, and I didn’t perceive enough benefit to justify the discomfort.

ETA - Oop missed the female thing sorry, even though it probably doesn’t matter. I would at least try it no harm in that.
  • michaelsmithpa
    michaelsmithpa Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm not female but for what it's worth I used creative for 2 years. Not sure it made a big difference. I stopped taking it for 6 months and didn't notice any big changes so I stopped taking it altogether. It is not an expensive supplement and reasonably safe. Give it a try for 3-6 months and see if you get the desired effect
  • I2k4
    I2k4 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I started using this nearly daily since spring, concurrent with more and more consistent resistance training and macro tracking here, all of which is going pretty well - but no "before / after" evidence. I think it's more about individual tolerance and possible deficiency of natural fabrication, and individual goals and conditions in which it's taken.

I've supplemented high protein intake with 5 grams daily usually with a whey shake or yogurt snack after a workout. I avoided the 20g "loading phase" some suggest, and others don't, being leery of personal tolerance and feeling reasonably healthy to begin with. I'd be careful of dose measurement: the MuscleTech brand I get from Amazon is inexpensive, pure and unadulterated, and includes a true 5g scoop rather than sloppy overdosing with a "one teaspoon" serving. Some recent studies indicate less than 5g is optimal, especially for smaller people.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Everybody should be taking creatine monohydrate. It's cheap, safe, and beneficial to those who respond(66%). The only exception if you have existing kidney issues.

I largely agree but the other exception is those who experience international discomfort from it.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Ive been taking it this time for about a year. I can’t tell the difference on or off. I have to drink loads more water though to prevent dehydration/headaches.
  • nay0m3
    nay0m3 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I ordered Isopure creatine monohydrate :)

Will keep you posted! Excited to try it!

Thank you all!