Help Clear up Confusion on Calories

JAJinAK
JAJinAK Posts: 16 Member
Hello. I restarted my efforts towards achieving a healthy weight and am looking for a bit of guidance on calories. I am currently 191, started at 215. I am 52F and 5' 10". I am fairly sedentary but try to walk at least 2 miles a day with my dog and I have started a small strength routine 3X weekly. I have my calories set at 1350 and find that to be plenty with planning of healthy nutritional food. Is that fine to stay there or should I be trying to eat at the higher calorie level of 1450 - 1600 depending on exercise? I am losing about 1lb a week so I am inclined to stay the course but am reading so much information on eating too little. Thanks for any suggestions.

Replies

• mjglantz
    mjglantz Posts: 487 Member
    That sounds about right if you are losing 1 lb/week. When I started I set my calorie goal higher (heavier than you and I knew how many calories I had been eating). What makes sense to me is if the calorie goal is letting you get all the nutrients you need, you aren't hungry, & you're losing weight. If you up the exercise you might want to add 100 calories/day and see how that goes. It wouldn't be strange to hit a plateau in a week or two and then you might want to tweak the calories and up the exercise. JMHO
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Are you eating back exercise calories and NETTING 1350, or is 1350 your GROSS calorie intake, meaning you're netting closer to 1150 (1350 in minus ~200 out)?

Either way you can probably eat more, why not try increasing to 1450 and see how you feel/what the scale looks like in a month or two?
  • JAJinAK
    mjglantz: Thanks for your input.
    goal06082021: The 1350 is my gross calorie intake for the day. I will try to add maybe a bit more and see what that does to my loss. Thank you.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member
    It's important to avoid undereating, but actual loss rate, averaged over a period of 4-6 weeks, is the best guide to loss speed. For premenopausal women, comparing weights at the same relative point in at least two different menstrual cycles, and determining average weekly weight loss from that, can be more reliable than just plain weeks.

*However*, that assumes the person is not feeling weak, fatigued, depleted, or other bad symptoms - which can be a sign that loss rate is distorted (slowed) by reduced daily activity, plus perhaps water retention beyond normal due to stress hormones (which hides some fat loss on the scale). If any symptoms like that appear, for otherwise unexplained reasons, it's a good idea to increase calories eaten.

Best wishes!

• JAJinAK
    Thank you very much for your post AnnPT77. I am feeling great so might up it to 1400 or 1450 and just see what that does for a few weeks. I am in no rush and want to lose at a nice steady rate. I think that will help me maintain better than I have been able to.
  • JAJinAK
    What a great way to look at it and this is the approach that I am using, after reading your insightful posts on this forum :)
  • batman4121
    batman4121 Posts: 15 Member
    If you are losing weight steady (your rate of loss looks perfect) and you are eating well, balanced and don’t feel hungry then don’t change it.

Once you reach you bf % goal then increase your calories gradually to maintain that weight and bf.
  • JAJinAK
    Batman 4121: Thanks! I appreciate the people on this site providing feedback. I really want to try to avoid pitfalls that I otherwise wouldn't think of.
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,240 Member
    sounds like your on the right path, good luck, slow and steady!
  • ChristopherLimoges
    ChristopherLimoges Posts: 298 Member
    I'd you're focused on strength, you're going to be eating more calories, resting 10-15mib per set, focused on lower reps for maximum weight and gaining more weight in a more inflated form/body makeup...
  • JAJinAK
    Thanks for all of the replies. I have upped my calories to 1450 and feeling pretty good. Overall down this week about .5 so seems good to me. I am not eating back my exercise calories yet but my exercise is only walking and very beginning strength training. Will just keep on the plan :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member
    edited September 2021
    Urine color does NOT determine your real healthfulness. 🤣

You can have a UTI, drink plenty of water, an reduce the color of your urine. just one very simple example.

Water intake is not soley based on your urine colors. 🤣

You asked about water needs, i.e. hydration as a generality, not total health. No one indicator signals health. An infection is going to require more attention than just modifying hydration.

Specifically, you asked "do you . . . even know what your personal water intake should be per day?" I don't have a UTI, so that's irrelevant to my water intake at this time.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    edited September 2021
    I have never had a UTI and had normal colored urine regardless of hydration status at the time, as a totally irrelevant aside to hydration level in a healthy person. It is always AT LEAST cloudy.

Not that having a UTI is determined by color of urine. My tip off is usually, you know, pain and frequency. After which my urine turns bright orange because like heck I'm suffering through without both antibiotics and that lovely urinary tract painkiller that results in the magic color changing pee thing.