numb toes

Options
Does anyone else have trouble with the toes getting numb after decent about of time on the elliptical??

any ideas why? or what i can change?

could it be my shoes.? or i dont know

Replies

• foster59803
    foster59803 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Yes this happens to me... very curious to hear if anyone has good answer! I am wondering if it is a circulation issue? Good question, thanks!
  • butterflimom
    Options
    I have the same issue about 20 minutes in. I just went and bought a new pair of different brand shoes yesterday to see if that is the reason, plus it was past time for a new pair. I can let you know if it helps or not, but honestly have no clue. I try and keep adjusting my feet on there and even end up curling my toes towards the end of my workout just to get some feeling back into them.

I hope you find out, cause I would like to know as well.

Kassie
  • struong12
    struong12 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    The same thing happens to me. I would like to know too.
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    sounds like a circulation issue.. may want to have your shoes checked :) awesome shoes make all the difference!!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I had this problem. I stopped tying my shoes as tightly and it helped a lot.
  • cxfremin
    Options
    Same here. Toes go numb and bottoms of feet start burning. Not as bad on an arc trainer, but elliptical causes it at about 20 minutes into workout.
  • crunchymommy
    crunchymommy Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've never used the elliptical, but I get numb toes sometimes in my hiking shoes and in my running shoes (when on a hike or a run). I think it's actually related to not stretching enough. Try a foam roller? Of course, it could have to do with the shoes themselves, but for me I haven't found that to be the case.
  • harleygirlT
    harleygirlT Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have been doing elliptical for years now and thought it was just me. I also thought it might just be from wearing heels so much but now that you mention it to it makes me wonder. I have tried changing shoes and it still happens so I really don't know if there is anything that can be done, but it's sure weird!!
  • mpcass
    Options
    I have the same problem, and only on the eliptical. I don't have any idea why, I have been leaning toward my shoes, but it is just that machine, so I'm not sure. If you get any good feedback please let me know.
  • saldridge
    saldridge Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Not sure about the elliptical, but when I bought running shoes, the guy in the store told me to go with a wide or different pair because he doesn't want my feet to get numb -- so my guess would be shoes.
    Do you have some very wide, comfy shoes you can try next time and see if it happens again?
  • Fit4_Life
    Fit4_Life Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    I started to get that this afternoon. Doesn't help wearing the wrong shoes and tied too tight. I didn't bother changing my shoes from hiking shoes to gym shoes. You may want to loosen the strings too..
    :flowerforyou:
  • lisalynnharr82
    Options
    I have the same problem and it doesn't seem to matter what shoes i wear or how i place my feet on the elliptical. About 30 minutes is all i can do at a time. For some reason it doesn't happen on the treadmill?

Lisa
  • 2dayirun4me
    2dayirun4me Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Could be your shoes are too small try going up 1/2 size in your shoes. when we exercise our feet and toes swell.
  • JRGeorgia
    Options
    This is common, your shoes are laced too tight, just loosen your laces on your shoes, that should solve the problem.
  • tbelivea
    tbelivea Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Same thing happens to me after about 20 minutes. I found that untying the laces and loosening them as much as possible and then just tucking the ends in helped.
  • juggalotus
    Options
    I get this when i am on the stationary bike 15 min in usually. The bottoms of my feet start burning. It's a very weird feeling!
  • ASPhantom
    ASPhantom Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Mine were doing that when I run.
    I loosened my strings and haven't had anymore troubles.

I have read that you should go up a half size for running shoes so, it might be the same for using the elliptical.

Good Luck.
  • HarlCarl
    HarlCarl Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I've had the same issue in the past on one machine. Then I tried a different machine and didn't have the numbness even though I went longer on the second machine. These machines had a little different type of movement.

Not sure what it is though.

*edit* I wore the same shoes using both machines. Interesting.
  • Fit4_Life
    Fit4_Life Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    Try to position yourself to use your heels rather than the front part of your feet. Using your heels works more on your back and buttocks. :-)
  • outersoul
    Options
    I had that problem too. My toes would go numb on the eliptical after a while. I got fitted for new running shoes and haven't had the problem since then.