Who has been in a weight loss plateau? What did you do to ge

Options
Just curious...I've only lost 7lbs, but I still weigh 170 and am 5'6" and could stand to lose another 20-30. Just curious...how did you get out of yours?

Replies

• alexa_image
    alexa_image Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Colemanlo1
    Colemanlo1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have been stuck in one for a couple of weeks now after losing 18 lbs. I have been reading over and over that you need to adjust your calories and your exercise routine. I have just started to adjust both as of yesterday and will let you know how it goes.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    zig-zagging calories (see my blogs on my about me page for links) and increase/change exercise (i.e. add in lifting for me personally)

i've just broken out of a NINE MONTH plateau!!!

good luck on yours

EDIT: most importantly, make sure you are eating enough calories to being with (See fat2fit.com and freedieiting.com)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    4 weeks ARGH! I just waited it out.
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Hey, you're where I was when I started and I am 5'6". How many calories are you eating? I started with 1300 calories and then hit a plateau at 147. I discovered that I was eating way too little. So I upped my calories to 1500, and zig zagged them for a month and now I am at 143. So it worked. I am now eating 1600 and still losing.

rule #1 make sure you're eating above your BMR and below your maintenance.

Don't exercise more (unless you're not at all). Chances are you're not eating enough and if you exercise more then you're only starving yourself more.
  • kurtybee
    Options
    If you hit your plateau you need to mix it up. Change up your excerise routine and diet also don't forget to do excerises to build muscle. I wouldn't even worry about buying weights. You can just start doing pull ups, push ups, Lunges, etc. Use your body weight to help you build muscle.
  • BuceesNana
    BuceesNana Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Use AggieCass's zig-zagging technique. It works! I lost 1.6 after 7 days of zigizagging. :) I hadn't lost anything for a month, :(
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Fat2Fitradio.com is an amazing site!!
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Each of the 3 times my loss has stalled since January I kick-started the losing again by consuming more calories. I'm at 2000 calories a day and losing.
  • rockstarginaa
    rockstarginaa Posts: 1,529 Member
    Options
    I increased my calories or I'm changed up my exercise and it has done the trick.
  • l3ugjuice
    Options
    Just curious...I've only lost 7lbs, but I still weigh 170 and am 5'6" and could stand to lose another 20-30. Just curious...how did you get out of yours?

First thing: make sure you are actually plateaued rather than just screwing up your math (I.E. eating more calories than you are logging or not burning as many calories as you are logging due to poor 'guesswork' on the numbers). I had several apparent 'plateaus' before I got a good calorie monitor...online BMR calculators & calorie burn calculators, not to mention exercise machine displays, are just NOT very accurate estimates. If you think you are eating 1500 calories, but are actually eating 2000, and think you are burning 2500 calories but are only actually burning 1900...well, it aint a plateau. It's user error.

Second thing: if you are sure your numbers are right, you may actually be 'plateaued'...or, you may just be retaining water. Drink more water & take in less sodium for a day or two and see if that jump starts you back.

The first one 'fixed' my early 'plataus' from happening. The last one fixed all the others except for one, which was I think my only real plateau. To fix that one, I spent the weekend at the lake drinking beer and eating bbq. After 2 days of being a pig, my body & weight loss went back to normal.

Anyway, just my $.02. YMMV.
  • damonmath
    damonmath Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I increased my calories or I'm changed up my exercise and it has done the trick.

Ditto... Increasing calories worked for me.
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options

Ditto... Increasing calories worked for me.

Same here. An increase in calories knocked me right out of the stand still.
  • Armygirl67
    Armygirl67 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • excalibur119
    Options
    bump
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I agree to first make sure you are actually plateauing and not messing up your calorie count or overestimating calorie burns. Also, many people go a week or two with no scale movement- that isn’t a plateau either. If it has been 3-4 weeks plus and none of the above applies, then you are probably plateauing.

I had 30 pounds to lose total and plateaued about half way through at 15 pounds lost. I now know why I plateaued, and it is because I wasn’t eating enough. I am 5’7” and was eating 1200 calories because impatient me set MFP to lose 2 pounds a week. First of all, being that I wasn’t *that* overweight, I had no business trying to lose 2 pounds/week. It isn’t healthy. After I upped my calories to 1600 and started eating more, I started losing weight again. I ended up setting MFP at a 0.5 lb/week loss and after a few days the scale started moving. Starvation mode is real, so make sure you are fueling your body well.
  • alexa_image
    alexa_image Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I've read a lot about zig zag dieting it will confuse your body and it will help you lose wieight.
    I also use Shakeology, it is the healthiest meal of the day. You replace one meal or two if you prefer for the shake,
    you can add fruits, nuts, almond milk, etc. to the shake, It will give you energy, stop the cravings for sweets and will help you lose
    weight and brake the plateau.
    The chocolate one taste great. You should give it a try.
    Good luck!
  • J3nnaLyn
    Options
    I log food/measure religiously, so I know that isn't the problem...and I'm going on 4 weeks of the same weight, so I'm guessing it's a plateau.

I'll try upping my cals/changing my goals and see what happens. Thanks!