Going for a run to make up for going over the limits

Options

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    nbuuifx wrote: »
    I've always run with a rest day in-between to ensure my muscles have chance to recover but would happily run every day. I was looking at a training programme where the rest days included a slow jog instead of a fast run, and they believed that the slow jog actually aided recovery more than complete rest and helped to build a better base level of fitness.

So I might look into doing a couple of km on the rest days too.

as i said, im not a runner, so what i know is based off being friends with some of the weirdos i mean lovely people. ;)

i know that (it seems to be the norm) that when training for longer race, at least, they do alternate between longer runs and shorter. I am positive there a reason for this. I do not know what it is, I presume to not overtrain the muscles/ stress them/ some similar reason.

working out in general.., many people do still do some sort of activity on their rest days. whether it is a walk or light jog - something to be active still, just not quite the workout that is typical. nothing strenuous or taxing, more of a warm up pace type thing.

• autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I've done exactly what you're describing, but I don't recommend it. It's a slippery slope, and ultimately, I couldn't outrun my fork.

I changed my calorie goal to a TDEE estimate instead of NEAT so that I wouldn't be tempted to run myself into an injury, trying to allow for more food.

To be honest on a day to day basis, the calorie goal is easily achievable and I tend to be a little under since starting watching it. I do think I'm eating less between meals since watching though which is probably what is making a difference combined with making tweaks to what I was reading which is hopefully leaving me feeling fuller. So on a normal day I don't really need to do anything additional to buy calories.

Next week when I get back into my normal routine, I'll be running and cycling weekly again. I enjoy exercise, it is my way of clearing my mind after a busy day at work. I've always run with a rest day in-between to ensure my muscles have chance to recover but would happily run every day. I was looking at a training programme where the rest days included a slow jog instead of a fast run, and they believed that the slow jog actually aided recovery more than complete rest and helped to build a better base level of fitness.

So I might look into doing a couple of km on the rest days too.

Sounds like you've got the nutrition in better check than I did - carry on!

If it changes, and you're running more miles than you can handle because Food Is Awesome, and More Is Better, consider if a static goal number is a better option.

I have a love/hate thing about running. I'm in the middle of marathon training, and if I didn't need to lose a few more pounds, I'd be adding to the goal to support it, instead of just overeating and hoping that next week I'll actually log properly. (Oops - and then the mask mandate is back, here in Illinois, so I'm adding some stress eating - but that's not at all connected to your question... sorry)

If it's an occasional thing, and you don't have trouble running on a full stomach like that, I'm not going to tell you to stop. And who am I to tell you that, anyway? This is YOUR nutrition strategy - you do you. Thank you for considering our advice.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    cw106 wrote: »
    Sadly,you lost me when you topped off with a doughnut. After a 1000 cal fish +chips!!
    I can only suggest you look for a mentor who might inspire you.
    G luck

My partner's brother's family does this sort of thing all the time. In fact, replace "doughnut" with "cupcake" and his nephew did this exact same thing Monday. I feel nauseous just thinking about it.

Disclaimer, I'm the sort of person who always feels unwell after large meals, and the thought of OMAD makes me feel queasy as well.

However, I realize plenty of people are fine with large meals. Often they accommodate by skipping meals that day or the next day. So I try not to project My Way onto other people :)

A run afterwards would feel punitive to me, but as it clearly does not to the OP, and he also made no mention of feeling unwell after the meal, as far as I'm concerned, he made the right decision for this day.
  • Fatgonegirl
    Fatgonegirl Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Is this the correct way to do it?

Basically, the family wanted a chippy tea tonight, so I participated and had 300g of deep fried chips and 330g of battered cod. To top it off I had a jam and cream filled doughnut.

This is where you went wrong! Never eat cod, it's a bottom feeder riddled with parasites. Stick to chippy battered haddock! :)
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    Honestly, what you did is considered "disordered" and is actually very concerning. You are in essence punishing yourself for eating food and is not healthy, especially long term. You need to work on your relationship with food so that "going off plan" isn't the end of the world. You should be able to enjoy your food, and if that means going over sometimes, than so be it. Have you ever considered therapy to address your relationship with food?
  • Fatgonegirl
    Options
    I come from a North Sea fishing community that catches and processes all types of fish. I agree the parasites are unable to infect humans and if you at happy to eat them great. I can tell you that none of us eats cod. If you think haddock is as bad ask a North Sea fisherman what he has for his fish supper.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,102 Member
    Options
    I come from a North Sea fishing community that catches and processes all types of fish. I agree the parasites are unable to infect humans and if you at happy to eat them great. I can tell you that none of us eats cod. If you think haddock is as bad ask a North Sea fisherman what he has for his fish supper.

Curious: If the parasites are of no harm to humans in the cooked fish, why do the fishermen object to eating them? Is this just distaste, similar to the way that people from cultures that don't eat insects don't want to eat cricket flour or satay grasshopper, or that people unfamiliar with them don't want to eat mountain oysters (bull testicles)?

It seems like the parasites might even have some protein, maybe other nutrients, though no way I can think of to find out for sure.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Reading (or watching) available information to increase one's knowledge on a matter before thinking you know what is going on and giving a comment on it.

Sadly that willingness to do so is ruined by ..... (insert your observed reason here).

The app makes it too easy to read first comment and not even see any others (unless they changed it), and then comment.

I used to see more comments that were obviously on just the title, didn't even read the first post that explained anything. Talk about the easy way out there. And mistaken comments.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Curious: If the parasites are of no harm to humans in the cooked fish, why do the fishermen object to eating them? Is this just distaste, similar to the way that people from cultures that don't eat insects don't want to eat cricket flour or satay grasshopper, or that people unfamiliar with them don't want to eat mountain oysters (bull testicles)?

It seems like the parasites might even have some protein, maybe other nutrients, though no way I can think of to find out for sure.

I know a bunch of AK fishermen and they eat both AK cod and haddock. Not sure if there is some parasite difference or if AK types are just less fussy, but in that I like AK cod, I'm not going to find out.
  • Fatgonegirl
    Options
    I come from a North Sea fishing community that catches and processes all types of fish. I agree the parasites are unable to infect humans and if you at happy to eat them greatly. I can tell you that none of us eats cod. If you think haddock is as bad ask a North Sea fisherman what he has for his fish supper.

It's the distaste of seeing them when the fish is gutted but it's probably also cultural as well. Cod is viewed as dirty, it's supposed to be a bottom feeder consuming carrion. I can still remember going on holiday with my ex-husband and being amazed that fish and chip shops sold battered cod. We just looked at each other and walked out. :)
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,618 Member
    Options
    Is that like catfish? or basa? :smiley:
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,102 Member
    Options
    I come from a North Sea fishing community that catches and processes all types of fish. I agree the parasites are unable to infect humans and if you at happy to eat them greatly. I can tell you that none of us eats cod. If you think haddock is as bad ask a North Sea fisherman what he has for his fish supper.

It's the distaste of seeing them when the fish is gutted but it's probably also cultural as well. Cod is viewed as dirty, it's supposed to be a bottom feeder consuming carrion. I can still remember going on holiday with my ex-husband and being amazed that fish and chip shops sold battered cod. We just looked at each other and walked out. :)

Thank you for answering honestly: It was true curiosity on my part, not a loaded question of some type. I was afraid you might be offended that I'd even ask. (Truth in advertising: I've been vegetarian for 47+ years, so I don't eat any of those things . . . but I'd try any/all, if I weren't veg. I sample all the scary veg stuff, like natto.)

Apologies to the OP for the digression!