Weighing with clothes on

Options
I am going to start weighing myself at the gym because their scale is more accurate than mine. At home, I would normally weigh myself naked, I will be weighing with clothes and shoes on at the gym. So I am wondering how much I weight I should take off for clothes and shoes?? I wear cotton running capris, sports bra, tank top, cami, socks, and Adidas running shoes.

Replies

• kimthomasandaimee
    Options
    Weigh yourself clothed, and naked at home - see what the difference is ^_^
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I wouldnt take off any. There is no way of being really accurate with that. I would still go with the home scale. even if the numbers are a tad bit off it should still be consistent enough to show your weekly loss.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    If I were to do something like that, I would focus more on what I was losing than the actual weight, since it won't be 100% accurate with clothes on, etc.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    As long as you are wearing approximately the same amount of clothes every time you weigh in - it wouldn't worry about it.

I weigh in at the same time - always first thing in the a.m. (in my PJ's). Later in the day is no good ..... maybe I drank lots of water, etc .... too many variables to account for.
  • JeffGDDG
    JeffGDDG Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Weigh yourself at home with and without your clothes on and note the difference.
  • fabulousfebe
    Options
    when I go to the doctor's they take off about 3lbs..and it doesn't matter what I have on...LOL I usually take about 5lbs off or you could buy another scale... just a thought.. :happy:
  • Chemmy
    Options
    or you could weigh your clothes and deduct from the gym scales result.
  • mgdufresne
    Options
    Hi,
    I would take everything you would normally be wearing at the gym, and pile it on your scale at home, just to get an estimate for how much weight you're wearing. Although it sounds like your scale may not be the most accurate in the world, it will be able to give you an estimate to take off from your weight at the gym, so you're not shorting yourself nor crediting yourself a guessed amount. That's what I have done, it's amazing how much clothes change the outcome! :)

Hope this has helped!
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    or you could weigh your clothes and deduct from the gym scales result.

Ditto :bigsmile:
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I think the long term trend is more important than every day number, just like stock market. LOL with or without clothes, as long as it shows consistent downward trend, it's ok. :)
  • ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Even at home i weigh myself with clothes on, but i weigh myself with the same clothes on - my thought on that is once i get my start weight, then i am really just measuring what i have lost when i keep checking. I dont think that the clothes you described would add much - although i would suggest you remove your shoes.

If the scale at your gym is REALLY accurate, maybe one day bring a 2nd set of those same clothes and weigh just them by themselves (although the scale would have to be very acute to register them, i would assume)

Suzi
  • ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Even at home i weigh myself with clothes on, but i weigh myself with the same clothes on - my thought on that is once i get my start weight, then i am really just measuring what i have lost when i keep checking. I dont think that the clothes you described would add much - although i would suggest you remove your shoes.

If the scale at your gym is REALLY accurate, maybe one day bring a 2nd set of those same clothes and weigh just them by themselves (although the scale would have to be very acute to register them, i would assume)

Suzi
  • Tereztaylor07
    Options
    I would stick with a home scale personally. How do you know their scale is more accurate? I prefer to weigh at the same time every day, and you might not be able to do that at the gym.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    If I were to do something like that, I would focus more on what I was losing than the actual weight, since it won't be 100% accurate with clothes on, etc.

This ^ Sensible.

Personally, I'd just give the people at the gym a show... :wink:
  • tulipsrbetter
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I would weigh my clothes at home, but my scale is so messed up it doesn't even register. I know I have lost weight, according to the gym scale with my clothes on, but I weighed myself as soon as I got home, naked.... and it said I was 4 lbs heavier.. so that scale is going in the trash, it was a cheap one anyway. I need to get a new one, and until then I will be weighing at the gym.
  • treesloth
    treesloth Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason you can't just give everyone at the gym a thrill? Don't be selfish, now.