Confused!!

Options
allanrjudge
allanrjudge Posts: 84 Member
edited August 2021 in Getting Started
I've only made a handful of posts on here in the past but every post I make i start off by saying I've lost and gained weight for years. Sometimes fluctuating by 4 stone, so I know how to lose weight. Maybe my metabolism is just f****d now.

Im 35 and got down to 197lbs in 2019 (I've been lower than that in the past) but eventually got upto 237lbs this year due to laziness and lockdown.

Over the last month I've been trying to shift the weight. Started at 235lbs (cause lost 2lbs somehow) started LIIFT4 by Beachbody, got down to 226lbs from 10th August to about 2 weeks ago. Then after a leg day I went upto 232lbs which I put down to DOMS. Consuming 2000 cals a day following a plan on EatThisMuch - but now im stuck between 230 and 232 lbs... Measurements aren't going down so jts not just the scales.

Im doing 4 strength training workouts a week and 2 cardio. I've got a night out on the 17th that I'd love to see atleast a 5lbs loss for (being realistic, would obviously love more) so cut down to 1600 cals a day. I just don't understand why I'm not seeing results. And I'm being completely honest because the more honest you are the quicker the problem is to find. Its disheartening.

Does anyone have any advice please?

Replies

• thisvickyruns
    thisvickyruns Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    are you weighing everything you eat with scales?

If you have gone from 235 to 230/232 then you have lost weight maybe you have unrealistic expectations of how much you can lose, but 1-2lbs a week is a healthy amount.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Advice - give it four weeks of consistency after every significant change of diet or exercise routine for the effects of that change to settle out and for the overall trend to appear.

Where are you logging your food intake?
    How are you estimating that food intake?
  • allanrjudge
    Options

If you have gone from 235 to 230/232 then you have lost weight maybe you have unrealistic expectations of how much you can lose, but 1-2lbs a week is a healthy amount.

But why did I go from 235 to 226 back upto 232 and now im stuck between 230 and 232. I mean it could be muscle but would I gain muscle that quickly on a calorie deficit?
  • allanrjudge
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Advice - give it four weeks of consistency after every significant change of diet or exercise routine for the effects of that change to settle out and for the overall trend to appear.

Where are you logging your food intake?
    How are you estimating that food intake?

To be honest, im not tracking foods because I'm just following the meal plan by EatThisMuch. If it says I need so many grams of something im weighing it out with scales or the jug. But not actually tracking. I used to track my food with MFP... I might just start doing that aswell. But I've swapped tracking for just following a meal plan.
  • thisvickyruns
    Options

But why did I go from 235 to 226 back upto 232 and now im stuck between 230 and 232. I mean it could be muscle but would I gain muscle that quickly on a calorie deficit?

because weight loss isn't linear.

As you said yourself, you think the scales went up because of DOMS, and you're spot on. when your muscles are sore they retain water for repair, so you'll weigh more.
  • allanrjudge
    Options

because weight loss isn't linear.

As you said yourself, you think the scales went up because of DOMS, and you're spot on. when your muscles are sore they retain water for repair, so you'll weigh more.

Surely that would have gone within a few days though. Thank you for the advice though, I appreciate it
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    It's not muscle in such a short time
    May well be related to muscle soreness / water retention from the increase in exercise and intensity though.
  • allanrjudge
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    It's not muscle in such a short time
    May well be related to muscle soreness / water retention from the increase in exercise and intensity though.

Okay thank you. I'll keep at it, im not gonna just stop cause I'm not seeing results.

How can I lose maximum amount of weight in 2 weeks? (Then after that I'll just go slow and steady cause I know fast weight loss is only a quick fix)
  • thisvickyruns
    Options
    is losing 5lbs really going to make a difference to your night out?
  • B34k3r14
    B34k3r14 Posts: 1 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Cut out carbs completely except for the fibrous kind (veggies) and you should see a significant loss in water weight. You may not lose a ton of fat in this time, but if your looking to make a quick appearance change, this should work. Body builders do a form of this (although a bit more complicated) before shows to get really lean and cut looking. Make sure too keep your calories up though. You don't want to crash diet. Also, drink plenty of water.
  • allanrjudge
    Options
    is losing 5lbs really going to make a difference to your night out?

Dont really see the point of this comment? We could say is losing 2lbs really going to make a difference? But losing 2lbs weekly makes all the difference.

Id love to lose a stone in 2 weeks but as I said, im being realistic.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,457 Member
    Options
    I’d challenge you to really sit down and think about what you said here:

…I know how to lose weight. Maybe my metabolism is just f****d now.

Im 35 and got down to 197lbs in 2019 (I've been lower than that in the past) but eventually got upto 237lbs this year due to laziness and lockdown.

It’s not your metabolism. It’s your consistency. I think you totally get the cause and effect, and need to buckle back down to what you know works: weighing and tracking.

I know. It’s tedious and irritating. A lot of life is, but it’s what we do to be successful.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    I’d challenge you to really sit down and think about what you said here:

…I know how to lose weight. Maybe my metabolism is just f****d now.

It’s not your metabolism. It’s your consistency. I think you totally get the cause and effect, and need to buckle back down to what you know works: weighing and tracking.

Your metabolism doesn't just get F'd. It's not an object that can be broken or damaged.

Short-term effort gets you short-term results. Plan for the long term and then put that plan into practice.

I can drop 5 pounds in less than 24 hours but that weight certainly isn't fat and rest assured it's coming back in less time that it took to come off.

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    The answer is in the chart....

zes1iogzp6c8.jpg
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Time based weight loss goals are fraught with stress.

Talk about adding water weight - increase stress hormone cortisol - see how stressed you get then.

Unless you are sitting down to compare notes on weight loss, or planning on wearing a sign stating starting and current weight on this night out - what does scale weight matter?

You may even lose the fat not in the desired place for big visual effect.

As mentioned you can likely drop that much water weight easily days prior if this is a weigh-in for something.

Over the last month you've started the program, and measurements haven't changed.
    Likely that eating goal is a deficit - if you are truly eating that much.
    Weighing and logging accurately is tip there.

The program isn't going to make huge changes in just a month by itself without the diet.
    If it shows before/after pics - read the fine print.
  • allanrjudge
    Options
    Sorry I'm so late replying. Thank you for the advice.

The night out isn't the be all and end all, im planning on sticking to a health kick after the night out, just would have liked to feel/look a bit lighter.

How many cals should I consume to lose max amount of weight in the week leading upto the night out? Its only a night out, not a big event.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Sorry I'm so late replying. Thank you for the advice.

The night out isn't the be all and end all, im planning on sticking to a health kick after the night out, just would have liked to feel/look a bit lighter.

How many cals should I consume to lose max amount of weight in the week leading upto the night out? Its only a night out, not a big event.
    To lose the MAXIMUM amount of weight? Zero, of course. The larger the deficit the faster you lose.

I’m going to suggest you not do that. A crash diet right before a night out guarantees you will feel and look drained. Just follow your program and be patient.

A water weight increase from lifting is your body doing what it is supposed to do, retaining extra water to use in repairing muscle fibers to grow more muscle. You want this to happen. Let your body do its job.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,457 Member
    Options
    The night out isn't the be all and end all, im planning on sticking to a health kick after the night out, just would Have liked to feel/look a bit lighter.

Your choice of words in your posts fascinate me.

“Health kick” implies temporary effort and lack of focus, with implications of already making plans to go back to old habits.

I’m guessing you want to lose five pounds to impress someone you’ve got your eye on. If I had my eye on you in return, five pounds wouldn’t make a bit of difference.

In that case @rheddmobile ’s scorched earth policy would possibly achieve what you want. A temporary fix to a permanent problem.

Not saying all this be mean, but words have a way of revealing us. For me, changing my words changed my mind and ultimately changed my life.

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    truly, unless you are already tiny, 5 pounds is not going to be noticed. not by you, not by anyone. You say you are currently 230 pounds.

when i was that weight, I didnt notice any weight loss until at least 20 pound increments. And then it was in clothing only. not in the mirror. Because body dismorphia is a real thing nearly all of us have to some degree or another. a 5 pound difference on a larger person is not noticeable by anyone. I dont say that to be mean or 'non encouraging' or anything, its just the truth. I'm smaller than you (175 pounds) and a 5 pound difference on me is not noticeable on me, either.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    B34k3r14 wrote: »
    Cut out carbs completely except for the fibrous kind (veggies) and you should see a significant loss in water weight. You may not lose a ton of fat in this time, but if your looking to make a quick appearance change, this should work. Body builders do a form of this (although a bit more complicated) before shows to get really lean and cut looking. Make sure too keep your calories up though. You don't want to crash diet. Also, drink plenty of water.
    Well that statement is kind of humorous because you just told them to cut carbs completely. That IS a crash diet.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png