cheat day?

Options
Does having a cheat day, say once or twice a month, negate all the hard work done the rest of the month?

Replies

• Walkywalkerson
    Walkywalkerson Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I find it difficult to get back to it after a 'cheat day '
    I don't really like to call it that because it feels negative.
    A 'cheat' meal for me often leads to a 'cheat' day and then a whole 'cheat' weekend.
    That's what does the damage.
    But yes it is simple maths if you eat more calories than you burn you're going to gain weight.
  • ChaoticMoira
    ChaoticMoira Posts: 103 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    First, I second what @SuzySunshine99 said.

I personally don't like the concept of "cheat days" as it feels negative to me. As in the rest of the week sucks, and you will be thinking all week of the cheat day to come. I also think it creates a pattern of eating unhealthy at intervals of some sort (like Sunday is cheat day and that just becomes a habit).

I prefer to just allow and accept that there will be days that I eat junk food, or go over my calorie allowance. They are not cheat days in that they are not scheduled, I don't think about those days, or plan for them. I just accept that sometimes they will/have happen(ed). And when they do happen, I just try to make sure it doesn't happen again for at least the rest of the week. I also will sometimes try to make up for it by eating a little lower the next day or two.

By not scheduling cheat days, I am then not thinking of the junk food to come, and I find I eat junk less often. I might go two weeks where I had a day of indulgence each week, but then I might go 3 weeks in which I don't eat any junk at all, followed by a week I do, then 2 that I don't.. So you see, for me, not having a cheat day, means I indulge less often.

Also by not having I cheat DAY, I don't ignore everything I eat all day. When a day I indulge does come, it is generally just a meal I decide to have (usually eating out), and I will still have a healthy breakfast and lunch before that indulgent dinner, which will keep the calories much lower than if I just indulged at each meal for a whole day. And I have found by doing this when I add the calories up, my indulgent dish only took my calories to maintenance level anyway (and sometimes, I am still under even), which is not harmful at all, and I still lose weight.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    instead of a cheat day, why dont you set your rate of loss a bit slower (so you get more calories per day but are still in a deficit) and fit in the things you enjoy on a regular basis?

This will also help teach you how to eat a bit closer to your maintenance weight so you keep off the weight you lose.