Adjusting nutrients

Options
Chd83
Chd83 Posts: 9 Member
Do most of you all rely on the automated system to calculate the percentages of fat, carbs, etc...or do you do something different?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I run different nutrients to increase protein.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    I adjust mine to increase protein and decrease carbs.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    I've never actually changed the settings, but I just aim for more than 100gr protein per day (appropriate for my size and goals, and a number I had to work up to) and a minimum of 50gr of fat (I've never had any issues eating enough fats) and let the carbs take care of the rest.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Different - I ate to quantity minimums in grams for protein and fat rather than percentages.
    For my diary settings I changed the percentages to roughly equal my minimum goals:
    1g protein per lb of estimated lean mass, 0.4g of fat per lb of body weight.
    But soon realised fat minimum looked after itself and didn't need any great attention.

• penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I started out with the default and that was fine for a while - though really, I didn't even pay attention at the very beginning. Everything was calories. After a bit I noticed I had fallen into a pattern where my protein was consistently low. I started trying to actually hit the default macros then. Once I was doing that with reasonable success, I decided I wanted to make more room for protein after all, and upped them but lowered the carbs, since I found I didn't really miss them if they weren't there. The formula I have used is 1g/lb for goal weight, but most of the reputable formulas I've seen floating around MFP work out pretty close to the same for my particular goals (retain muscle while in caloric deficit).

Protein and fiber are really the only things I pay close attention to. With the way I like to eat I know I will hit my other targets no problem. I treat them like minimums and not maximums - the maximum only applies to calories (though there's a minimum there too).

Long story short - it's not necessary to have it all figured out on day 1 - it's fine to start with something and adjust it later if needed. :)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    Options
    I'm female and do light to moderate exercise 5-6 days a week. I have my macros set at the default setting of 50C 30F 20P. In reality I am nearly always over on protein and fat. When I actively try to lose weight, bread and sweets are the first things to get cut back, so my carbs always drop when I am trying to lose.

I've changed my eating style dramatically since I first started to lose and it was a gradual process.

All that matters for weight loss is calories. Keep that in line, and the rest will come with time and education.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about the goals MFP posts or about resetting them -- I know what I need to do and just compare my progress during the day to the goals in my head.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    I have gram goals, set my MFP profile to something close to that, but eat to my gram goals in practice.

The MFP macronutrient defaults generally aren't a terrible starting point for most people, except in cases where someone has set their loss rate to be crazy-fast for their current size.

Personally, I have MFP macros set at round numbers that are approximately 0.8g per pound of goal (which is now current) bodyweight (roughly equivalent to 1g per pound of lean body mass, but most people don't know LBM); around 0.4g fats per pound; then I shoot for a minimum of 5x80g servings daily of veggies/fruits for micros, beneficials and fiber (ideally more like 10+ servings).

I consider nutrition quite important, macronutrients, micronutrients, beneficial as well as essential nutrients and phytochemicals plus pro- and pre-biotic foods, and have gradually tweaked my eating routine in that light, to improve nutrition.

MFP's tracking is unlikely to be complete/accurate for any nutrient that hasn't consistently been on product labels long term and across nations. If you choose food entries carefully, you can reach reasonable accuracy for macros. Micros are harder. I just spot check representative days, if there's something I'm concerned or curious about.
  • ChaoticMoira
    ChaoticMoira Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I altered mine to get more protein as I am strength training. I left the fat and carbs evenly split and don't pay attention to them at all.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I just don't really pay much attention to my macros.