How to lose body fat?

Options
What is the fastest way to lose body fat?

My new year resolution was "I have to be fit by end of this year" and it has been 9 months since 2021 started and I'm doing nothing. :(

So I'm looking for someone how can suggest to me some good videos courses for a home workout. By watching videos at least I can get motivated. B)

Replies

• thisvickyruns
    thisvickyruns Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    losing bodyfat doesn't make you 'fit' though?
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    you lose fat by eating in a calorie deficit.

You can not 'out exercise' a calorie surplus.

In other words, weight loss happens in the kitchen, fitness happens in the gym (or through working out in general)

Also, just so you know (because many people do not), you can not 'spot reduce' fat. So say you have fat on your stomach you want to lose. Thats where you feel your 'trouble spot' is. There is no exercise you can do that will 'target' the fat in that one specific area only. You can target muscles through strength training but until the fat is gone, you wont be able to SEE that muscle definition. Fat disappears where it wants to, and because our bodies are jerks, it tends to be where we WANT it to be.... last. At least it always seems to be that way.

All that said, working out is fantastic for you, for many reasons! Home workouts are not really my thing but there is a huge giant thread here: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10796095/what-youtube-workout-did-you-do-today#latest with all sorts of youtube workouts people have been doing, probably of various intensities.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    You lose bodyfat when you consume fewer calories than you expend. Exercise can help in that it increases your calorie needs to some extent, but it doesn't default to losing weight. Lots of people exercise regularly who aren't trying to lose weight. losing bodyfat happens largely in the kitchen.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,267 Member
    Options
    Fitness and slimness/leanness are not synonymous. A person can be slim and unfit, or (surprise!) fat and reasonably fit.

I became very active while still obese. I was reasonably fit: Getting age-group place medals in some races (on water & machine rowing), training in a disciplined way most days, low resting heart rate, reasonably strong. Stayed fat for over a decade, nonetheless. I was healthier than I'd been while fat and inactive, but not *healthy* healthy.

Weight loss, obese to healthy weight, was a matter of managing my eating. I figured out how to stay full, well-nourished, happy, while eating basically the same foods, but in different portions/proportions, some at different frequencies, to hit a reasonable number of calories. I didn't significantly change my exercise routine, just pretty much kept doing what I'd been doing for over a decade. I've been at a healthy weight for 5+ years since.

Losing weight "the fastest way" - if I may be frank - is IMO a fool's game. Instead, find habits that let you lose weight in a sustainable way, so you can learn how to stay at a healthy weight permanently, and happily. *That's* the magic.

Find some exercise that you find fun and motivating, to improve your health. If you want more strength or muscularity, include some strength training. This is a great resource for that:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

If you enjoy cardio-type exercise, and videos, there's a good thread here where others share what they're doing:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10796095/what-youtube-workout-did-you-do-today/p1

If you want to think about an eating approach, there are a billion of 'em. Different ones work for different people. This is what I did, to lose about a third of my bodyweight, obese to healthy weight, and stay at a healthy weight since, after previous decades of overweight/obesity:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm/p1

Be skeptical of anything that promises huge losses quickly and steadily (more than 1% of body weight weekly), requires you to buy things, says there are hacks or tricks. Those things aren't realistic.

Picking a plan that works *for you* long term, that's where success lies: Personalization, in light of your individual preferences, strengths, limitations. What I did might or might not work for you, as a way to eat. Experiment, figure out *your* way.

Wishing you much success!