Why Buying an Interactive Rower over a Concept2 Makes no Sense

I don't think there's much argument within the indoor rowing community which company makes the best indoor rower. Every single rating you read tells you that the Concept2 is the way to go.

The issue that some have with the Concept2 rower is that, on its face, it doesn't look particularly fun or interactive. That's very deceptive, because the PM5 (their monitor) has Bluetooth and there are a ton of interactive apps that you can link to the PM5 and make it very interactive.

Here's one of the many -- one of the more interesting ones too. It's like Zwift for rowers. And with the $17 addition of a I-Pad holder, you have an interactive machine that will last forever.

5vr309v6u4a6.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rsCLPAbrxk

https://www.etsy.com/listing/817684061/concept2-model-d-pm5-tablet-holder-for?fbclid=IwAR0X8qIixAe4dqWIRJHe8-rdTzt76FwJ7_f2pLk4S9NIeM7Cnn5z5N1-fvA

Not trying to sell anything, just pointing out (because there's a post every month it seems on rowing machines) that the Concept2 is a lot more interactive than the average consumer realizes.

Replies

• SomeMFPuser
    SomeMFPuser Posts: 53 Member
    Yes, agreed.
  • SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    edited September 2021
    And the tons of free c2 based workouts on YouTube, such as RowAlong, DarkHouse,TrainingTall etc.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    Also Zoomergos, where an excellent rower/coach I know sometimes runs workouts (along with an array of other accomplished rowers).

Guilty admission: As an on-water rower (when I can, my river not crunchy), I understand the appeal of structured machine rowing workouts, but I don't really get the visual video bodies of water thing. In the abstract, I can see how it could be stimulating . . . but it just seems pale by comparison - a little frustrating? Maybe even distracting?

For me, machine rowing in off-season is a time to concentrate on certain aspects of stroke cycle that get a little less attention in summer (when bladework and balance and sometimes synchronization predominate), and work on conditioning unhindered by the chance of (ugh) impromptu swimming.

Biases, biases. 😆

Also:

https://www.craftsbury.com/sculling

At some sessions, they accept complete beginners. It's fabulous. There are cabins, and you can reserve those, bring a non-rowing spouse (they need to like the North woods, kinda). Great food, wonderful coaching. I don't work for them, nor am otherwise affiliated with them in any compensated way . . . I just love going there. Owned by the Concept 2 folks, nowadays.

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    edited September 2021
    Personally, I have absolutely no need for or interest in paying to use an interactive "training" program while rowing on my C2 or "riding" my spin bike.

However, time spent while rowing or spin biking can obviously be tedious and boring, especially if you do it for longer time/distance sets, as I do.

What I do to alieve the tedium is just listen to music or watch a video on my phone using Bluetooth earplugs for audio (or just watch a TV located nearby) while rowing or riding.

That's all the "interactivity" that I need.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited September 2021
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Personally, I have absolutely no need for or interest in paying to use an interactive "training" program while rowing on my C2 or "riding" my spin bike.

However, time spent while rowing or spin biking can obviously be tedious and boring, especially if you do it for longer time/distance sets, as I do.

What I do to alieve the tedium is just listen to music or watch a video on my phone using Bluetooth earplugs for audio (or just watch a TV located nearby) while rowing or riding.

I was asked to be a "beta tester" for EXR Rowing, so I've done it a few times. But yeah, I do use ErgData, which is fantastic - loads your workouts automatically to the C2 Logbook. But ErgData isn't a game or a fake water screen, it's simply a tool that gives additional data layered on top of the PM5. Most days, it's just ErgData (on a phone cradle, above the PM5 on an older I-Phone), along with my music and HRM. ErgData tells you how many strokes, length of the stroke, stroke speed and Force (in lbs) on average and peak, among other things.

I've also done Zwift too, which requires some effort and an additional app called Painsled. Not really all that fun, to me at least, rowing as a bike character. But for many, it helps them pass the time.

Of the apps I've seen, though, EXR and asensei show the most promise. EXR is most like Zwift and asensei is probably similar to what NordicTrack does, just by real Olympic rowers, not personal trainers. With training plans, visuals and more. That's in Beta right now.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member

I was asked to be a "beta tester" for EXR Rowing, so I've done it a few times. But yeah, I do use ErgData, which is fantastic - loads your workouts automatically to the C2 Logbook. But ErgData isn't a game or a fake water screen, it's simply a tool that gives additional data layered on top of the PM5. Most days, it's just ErgData (on a phone cradle, above the PM5 on an older I-Phone), along with my music and HRM. ErgData tells you how many strokes, length of the stroke, stroke speed and Force (in lbs) on average and peak, among other things.

I've also done Zwift too, which requires some effort and an additional app called Painsled. Not really all that fun, to me at least, rowing as a bike character. But for many, it helps them pass the time.

Of the apps I've seen, though, EXR and asensei show the most promise. EXR is most like Zwift and asensei is probably similar to what NordicTrack does, just by real Olympic rowers, not personal trainers. With training plans, visuals and more. That's in Beta right now.

I also use ErgData (which is free) but only to log my rowing sessions and automatically upload them to my C2 Logbook online.

There is an "interactive" rowing routine which marks your pace vs a virtual skull based on parameters that you set but I never use it
  • SomeMFPuser
    SomeMFPuser Posts: 53 Member

Same.. I tried row pro and found I was simply NOT into the 'interactive' experience whatsoever. Just give me music and I'm good.