Accountability Thread - Reduce treats

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    emmies_123 wrote: »
    So I know about boredom eating and emotional eating. Is "sleepy eating" a thing? I'm sleep-at-desk tired today (yay stress + cycle + not sleeping last night) and all I want to do is snack. I'm not hungry, I have had a healthy breakfast and it was a sensible portion size. But damn if I don't want to cram random food in my mouth. Not even craving junk food, although that is all that is available at workplace. Just want to be eating...this is weird. I'm weird aren't I?

I definitely beleive that it is!

When I am super tired, I ALWAYS want to eat. It is like my body thinks that by eating, I can create more energy. It has yet to ever actually DO this, but it sure thinks it CAN. When what I really need to do... is go take a NAP.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    glassyo wrote: »
    So I know about boredom eating and emotional eating. Is "sleepy eating" a thing? I'm sleep-at-desk tired today (yay stress + cycle + not sleeping last night) and all I want to do is snack. I'm not hungry, I have had a healthy breakfast and it was a sensible portion size. But damn if I don't want to cram random food in my mouth. Not even craving junk food, although that is all that is available at workplace. Just want to be eating...this is weird. I'm weird aren't I?

When I'm short on sleep, I almost always crave calories. It's as though my body thinks it can make up for lack of sleep with energy from food. My brain, on the other hand, thinks it can make up for lack of sleep with caffeine. Both are right in the very short term.

That's me except it's more mindless eating and then afterwards I think, "Shouldn't all that sugar I just had have woken me up??"

Caffeine from my diet cokes definitely work better depending on how much and I drank/drink it.

Soda won't help me. Coffee will *sometimes* help - not much- but sometimes enough to get me through....
  • emmies_123
    emmies_123 Posts: 513 Member
    Sadly I never got a taste for coffee, and now caffeinated drinks give me a headache so no energy perk from those. On the plus side I also never got a taste for soda so that wasn't something I had to give up when I started trying to live a healthier lifestyle.

Wish I could take a nap, sadly I am at work and snoring is frowned upon.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,582 Member
    Sadly I never got a taste for coffee, and now caffeinated drinks give me a headache so no energy perk from those. On the plus side I also never got a taste for soda so that wasn't something I had to give up when I started trying to live a healthier lifestyle.

Wish I could take a nap, sadly I am at work and snoring is frowned upon.

I like coffee ice cream and coffee flavored hard candies but I tried regular coffee once when I was 5 and once when I was 20 and...ewwwwwww.

So diet sodas and...chocolate? Chocolate has caffeine, right? are my only sources.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,387 Member
    Sometimes your body interprets dehydration as hunger cues.

Try drinking a glass of water and waiting a few minutes to see if assuages the hunger.

And re: sleep and hunger, I sleep with my mouth wide open (beautiful mental image there, amIright?), so have a problem with dehydration at night, and first thing in the morning, so occasional hunger. Having a drink of water helps.
  • emmies_123
    Good morning wonderful people =)

@springlering62 Oh yeah I drank a lot of water yesterday, sadly it did not help. I think my brain is doing as other people commented and going "food is energy right? Eat it all right now. That will help right?" Note - it did not help.

I did go home and just plop in the bean bag for an hour and let my brain blue screen. That seemed to help me get a second wind for the rest of the night. I had my healthy dinner, then went for a 20 min walk around the neighborhood before settling down for the night. I did have dessert, which I'm not proud of as I was neither hungry for it nor calorie room for it, but oh well.

I woke up in much better spirits today. I started Day 1 of new fitness program, completed the daily workout challenge, and have healthy food to last through the workday. About to go plan out my week of tasks!
  • springlering62
    Don’t eliminate dessert. Change it up.

My favorite evening dessert (courtesy of @Noreenmarie1234 ) is a mix of a can of pumpkin, sugar free vanilla pudding mix, and greek yogurt. (I add pie spice, ginger, vanilla and cinnamon.) Even with whipped cream and honey/ginger granules on top it’s only 165 calories for a 300gr bowl.

Four delicious Trader Joe’s vanilla meringues are only 90 calories.

There’s so many tasty options besides what we used to perceive as dessert.
  • emmies_123
    Yesterday update:

I did good. I gave into stress eating at lunch and had a fig granola bar. At least it was on the healthier side of treats, and I updated my logging to reflect it. As I had that I stuck to my goals and did NOT have treat after dinner! I ended the day meeting my macros and not over calorie!

I have mapped out my food for today and as long as I stick to plan I have room for evening treat. That is a good incentive to not snack at work I hope
  • judyvalentine10
    judyvalentine10 Posts: 65 Member
    Unfortunately, we all have trigger foods, or treats, and keeping them handy which eventually will wear us down. A friend of mine has joined an online group called FOOD ADDICTS ANONYMOUS. She is finding it so helpful, and has lost 28 lbs in about 1 1/2 month. She feels healthier, has the accountablility, sponsors, and tools and literature to help her along the way. I know for myself, if I leave treats in my apartment, they don't last long. Good luck.
  • emmies_123
    Thank you. I'm really trying to avoid having to throw things out. I feel like I should be able to learn self-control instead of having to take an all-or-nothing route. Throwing things away, to me, feels like avoiding the growth I could be teaching myself. Even if obtaining that growth is really really hard.
  • emmies_123
    Good morning,

I had a treat last night, which fit in my calorie budget and boy I made it last so much longer instead of just wolfing it down! Any time I wanted to snack during the day I just reminded myself that if I did I could not have the dessert, and stuck to my guns!

I have mapped out my food for tonight and have decided my evening treat shall be apple + peanut butter. Peanut butter had been my covid comfort food so it definitely counts as a treat, but it is actually a healthy treat instead of empty sugar. Baby steps to retrain brain to think of healthy alternatives to chocolate
  • azalea4175
    azalea4175 Posts: 290 Member
    I have mapped out my food for tonight and have decided my evening treat shall be apple + peanut butter. Peanut butter had been my covid comfort food so it definitely counts as a treat, but it is actually a healthy treat instead of empty sugar. Baby steps to retrain brain to think of healthy alternatives to chocolate

That is a great choice for a "treat". Maybe you need to stop thinking of food as "good" and "not so good". Food is just food, it is just there. It only has value that you assign to it. Apple + peanut butter is good for your body and mind. Some foods are good for your body but if you don't like them you won't eat them. chocolate is good for your mind, but not so good for your body. Reframe how you look at food. I once had someone tell me "if you are in a toxic relationship with a person, you can break up with them and never see them again. Food is not like that, you need food in order to survive. You can't break up with food". You are developing good habits!
  • glassyo
    0oejb0wspc8h.jpg
  • emmies_123
    azalea4175 wrote: »

That is a great choice for a "treat". Maybe you need to stop thinking of food as "good" and "not so good". Food is just food, it is just there. It only has value that you assign to it. Apple + peanut butter is good for your body and mind. Some foods are good for your body but if you don't like them you won't eat them. chocolate is good for your mind, but not so good for your body. Reframe how you look at food. I once had someone tell me "if you are in a toxic relationship with a person, you can break up with them and never see them again. Food is not like that, you need food in order to survive. You can't break up with food". You are developing good habits!

I have heard the same thing about not being able to break up with food. I try not to think of food as good or bad, at least I don't think I do consciously. Apple & PB is good, I can rarely "afford" it on calorie budget because of the fat to protein ratio of PB. ANd eating apples plain is just...not me =P It used to be caramel dip all the time so PB is already an improvement lol
  • springlering62
    Apple & PB is good, I can rarely "afford" it on calorie budget because of the fat to protein ratio of PB. ANd eating apples plain is just...not me =P It used to be caramel dip all the time so PB is already an improvement lol

Lol. You sound like me.

I think of calories like a monetary budget, too. It really helps to think of them in terms of spending and “affordability”, and saving for a rainy day, even if that rainy day is just dessert after dinner.

(BTW, Walden Farms zero calorie caramel. Not bad at all.)
  • glassyo

I have heard the same thing about not being able to break up with food. I try not to think of food as good or bad, at least I don't think I do consciously. Apple & PB is good, I can rarely "afford" it on calorie budget because of the fat to protein ratio of PB. ANd eating apples plain is just...not me =P It used to be caramel dip all the time so PB is already an improvement lol

I've kinda been wanting to point this out (and apparently become an mfp worry wart) but it seems like you kind of do. I totally get what you're trying to do with "treats". I know you want to have more control over them but...

You say "empty calories/sugar" and "unhealthy" more or less repeatedly and you feel guilt if you eat something you think you shouldn't. And it worries me (not that my opinion matters :)) this is going to backfire on you. It's definitely not healthy to feel guilty over something as dumb as food. :)

Also sunflower butter > peanut butter.

:)

• emmies_123
    @glassyo

I get what you are saying, and why you are worried. I hope I can put your mind at ease with a little more background info:

-I have been on MFP for at least two years now and am only just now feeling ready to really tackle my sugar addiction. I am not jumping on this as an immediate fix or thinking I have to do it because society says sugar bad.

-As much as I love cake and ice cream, those calories are empty and unhealthy compared to other foods. They are carbs, maybe a minor amount of protein from the dairy, and that is it. There is the mental health "self-care" argument in favor of them, but wouldn't it be better in the long run to remind my brain that fruit can be a treat also? PS - yes I know I need carbs, I eat plenty of them. I can get them from other sources!

-I keep coming back to fruit, I know. That is because I don't want to eliminate all sugar from my diet. Fruit, greek yogurt, and healthy ice cream alternatives have sugar still but they also provide other nutrients my body needs.

-The root focus of this accountability thread is to get rid of the "it's 7:30 time for treat" mindset. The having something just because it is habit to have it instead of accounting for hunger or macro needs. Prior to posting this thread I had let myself fall back into the habit of "one day over won't matter" when dessert didn't fit in my goals, but I was doing it every night! Not only that, I was sneaking little chocolates from the pantry and failing to log it because "just one won't matter" (nevermind I are like 15 a day).

-When I have the calorie room for it I am still having sweet treats, guilt free. If you read the start of this post I said I was reducing to 4x/week, not totally gone. At the end of the day, I am recognizing I have a problem right now with sugar addiction, one that I didn't use to have even a year ago. I also know I respond well to encouragement from others that understand the struggle to make healthier habits, hence this thread.

I hope this helps explain a little more where I'm coming from, and how I got here.
  • emmies_123
    Daily update:

-Last night I had a Healthy Choice Fudge bar and it was way better than I expected it to be. Obviously not nice and rich like ice cream, but it was helped that chocolate craving, was less calorie (to fit in budget), and had surprise helping of fiber =)

-Today we are going out to dinner with friends from out of town and I will totally be getting dessert. Trying to decide between the two options, as both sounds excellent!
  • azalea4175
    azalea4175 Posts: 290 Member

try mixing peanut butter powder with nonfat light vanilla yogurt - you get the protein but not the fat of peanut butter, and it's super healthy!! it's good to recognize what will and won't work for you .
  • Omg your post reminds me of myself ! I love treats have multiples a day and I am trying to have none now ! My husband is a treat freak! I have a full closet for just treats !!! Need will power !!