Cardio

Options
Is it better to do cardio before or after you eat?

Replies

• poloplayer76
    Options
    before - so that you end up burning fat - if you eat then exercise you need to burn off the food youve eaten first before you burn fat
  • sarahazelnut99
    sarahazelnut99 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    any exercise is good honestly. When you are trying to get back into working out-or just starting its good to just try to encourage yourself to do it everyday-any time
    then when your use to it you can start scheduling it at certain times

i hate working out, i go on and off with it all the time
  • Cokamo
    Options
    Whether you eat before or after, you'll burn the same number of calories and even if you burn the calories you just ate, your body will have to dip into your fat for your body functions. So, it seems to me, it's 6 of 1 and half a dozen of the other. It's really a matter of comfort...for me, if I eat too close to exercise, either before or after, I get nauseated. If I don't have something light an hour or so before, however, I'll get light headed. About an hour after exercise, I'm starving. I try to plan my exercise so that I have a snack about an hour before and it's time for a meal about an hour after. That's me, however. You need to figure out what works for you.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    before - so that you end up burning fat - if you eat then exercise you need to burn off the food youve eaten first before you burn fat

Nope. The best time to do cardio is when you'll do it consistently. Whether that's at 5am or right after dinner (to each his/her own). There's no magic about burning fat before a meal versus after. Your body doesn't directly use the food in your stomach as fuel - it still has to go through the same process to digest into macromolecules (basic units of fats, carbohydrates, and amino acids) as the food that made your muscles and fat cells.
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I say do it whenver you can! For me, I have to wait at least an hour between eating a meal and doing cardio, otherwise I get cramps.
  • jessica2033
    jessica2033 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    i like to do both really cuz then i can burn first and get my metabolism up then burn off what i eat
  • HollyTsiaussis
    HollyTsiaussis Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Thanks, guys. :)
  • annika27
    Options
    When I do it in the morning before I have eaten anything, I have no energy and feel really weak, and I can't work as hard.
  • dreamangel18105
    dreamangel18105 Posts: 115 Member
    Options

Myth. Do it when you have the three things you need: the time, the energy and the desire. Personally, do my workouts at 5am, and there's no way I would wake up at 4:00 just so I can eat before I work out and then let my food settle before cardio. So generally, I do mine on an empty stomach. However, days where 5am won't work for me, I'll exercise around 7:30 or 8:00, after I've had dinner and I let it settle. Because this is what feels "good" to my body.