Having trouble sticking to Carb limit!

Options
Hi all

I've been using MyFitnessPal now for a few days having moved on from Weight Watchers which I followed for 4 months.

With MFP I find keeping within my recommended calories easy enough, but I cant seem to keep under the goal for carbs. I keep ending up going over by about 50g. It's all coming from healthy food, and a large amount is coming from fruit and veg, so is this bad?

I know its better to eat fruit than sweets etc, but Im concerned that if I keep going over it could effect my weight loss in the future.

Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated. even if its just to put my mind at ease!

Replies

• semhe
    semhe Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    you can google low carb veggies n fruits. this is one of my big problems too, who would think a banana has the same carbs as bread
  • prestonmay
    prestonmay Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    that's not too bad at all. It really depends when you are getting those carbs. I digest about 50 after a gym workout and only 15 after cardio. I try to do all my carbs or most of them by 2pm..... This way you will hopefully burn them off by night. I lost 5 pounds just by changing when I took in carbs.....

On a workout day I get about 150
    non 50

If you are working out, its better to have a full tank then to run out of gas and start eating away at your muscle store....
  • evesacks
    evesacks Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of fruit and veggies but am always under on carbs (over on sugar due to the fruit though) - you must also be eating bread / rice / pasta / cereal? Can you cut down on these at all?

eg today had 3 pieces fruit, salad lunch, and veggies with dinner, and still only 140g carbs.

Are you eating enough protein?
  • Gemnildy
    Gemnildy Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you are eating the good carbs if you can! Check out "The Carb-Lovers Diet" for some great information on which carbs you can really benefit from. I know that if I don't get enough carbs and starch my body tends to get into "starvation mode" in a heartbeat and I won't lose a pound! This has really helped me pick some of the right foods to satisfy me and are good for my diet overall.
  • TS19
    TS19 Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies guys. You're a helpful bunch!

I do eat a moderate amount of cereal (40g), bread (2-3 slices) and rice/pasta (60-80g) a day. Any less than that and I really feel tired and hungry. I work shifts (plus I have a 2 year old and a 10 month old) so i need to make sure I have that energy through the day.

I'm getting good amounts of protein and not too much fat. I just hate the idea of having to give up any fruit or veg. To be honest I've been eating bucket loads of it over the last few months, and I've been loosing steadily the whole time.

I guess we'll see on Sat when I weigh myself!
  • digitalsteel
    digitalsteel Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Try inverting it, eat more fat and less carbs. Check out the book: why we get fat and what to do about it