Working out at home

I have been working out at home ever since covid closed my gym in 2020. I have a pretty decent amount of equipment so I have been able to follow my program pretty well even without the gym. I really want to go back but I'm struggling to do it. I have really started to love not having to leave home to workout. Is anyone else experiencing this? I used to love the gym. I have also moved since then and cannot find a gym I love that is close enough. Does anyone else workout at home and are you seeing progress? I do a 4 day Upper Lower split but would like to find a way to cut back to 3 days eventually bc I'm so busy with work and school. Any advice is appreciated.

Replies

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    If you don't want to go to the gym, then don't go to the gym. Furthermore, if you have all the equipment you need, then you have all the equipment you need 🤷🏿‍♀️

I also amped up my home gym during the pandemic. For me, however, going to a gym for heavier lifts is an option... once I feel it makes sense to do so.

After "interviewing" a few gyms and private studios in my area, that's not yet the case for me.
  • I have a well stocked gym at home and love it. I'm actually a fairly new member. I came from Sparkpeople.com which closed down in August 2021. For me, having the gym at home takes away excuses. If I come home from work tired, since the gym is right there I can't say I don't feel like driving. And since I have a weight lifting cage, I can do all of the heavy lifts safely. If you are looking for a 3-day per week lift schedule, I would suggest googling it. If you google "3 day per week lifting program total body" you will come up with a variety of workouts to choose from. I am on a 3 day per week workout that covers all of the major muscle groups and I found it doing a search. It's more of a total body workout but the each day has a primary focus. Day 1 is back, day 2 legs and day 3 chest. But on each of those days the other muscle groups are challenged so that all of the muscles are worked out to some degree each day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    I have been working out at home ever since covid closed my gym in 2020. I have a pretty decent amount of equipment so I have been able to follow my program pretty well even without the gym. I really want to go back but I'm struggling to do it. I have really started to love not having to leave home to workout. Is anyone else experiencing this? I used to love the gym. I have also moved since then and cannot find a gym I love that is close enough. Does anyone else workout at home and are you seeing progress? I do a 4 day Upper Lower split but would like to find a way to cut back to 3 days eventually bc I'm so busy with work and school. Any advice is appreciated.

There is nothing special or magic about physically being in a gym...it's just a building...it doesn't dictate your progress. If I had the space for the equipment that I would want/need, I would never set foot in a gym again. I would love to be able to workout from home...going to the gym is just yet another place among many places that I have to get to which means I have to take additional time and inconvenience to drive to and back.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,514 Member
    I miss the gym, too. I can't possibly buy all the weights and machines that my dinky corporate gym offers. I have the stationary buke, but I miss the spin classes. I can't bring myself to buy a treadmill, although sometimes I like running on one.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    I have enough kit at home to follow my program, with some modifications as I don't have a squat rack or a heavy bag. I prefer working out at the gym, generally, and am very glad my gym is open again. But it is useful to be able to do a workout at home if I have to wait in for a delivery or workman, rather than miss a session.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,366 Member
    I know me, I'd never make the time to get to a gym consistently so I started acquiring equipment for home and now I have a decent collection of stuff. Eventually I turned 170 sq ft of my basement into the gym. I roll out of bed and half an hour later I'm down there doing my daily workout, no excuses. Sometimes in the evening I'll be downstairs waiting for the dryer to finish or something and take a few minutes to knock out a few reps. It's handy. But, like everything else, it turns into one of those things where you never have "enough" lol, so now I'm contemplating getting a set of Powerblocks.
  • No doubt, ythannah. I just bought an ez curl bar and I’m seriously debating a preacher curl bench. Don’t think I really need one of those, so I can’t get myself to pull the trigger to buy one.
  • Nothing wrong with continuing your workouts at home if it suits you! No need to be who you were before. Go with what feels right in the moment.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,958 Member
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    If you don't want to go to the gym, then don't go to the gym. Furthermore, if you have all the equipment you need, then you have all the equipment you need 🤷🏿‍♀️

^^^This...

• Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Why do you want to go back? It'll cost you more time, and more money, so what's the benefit?

More equipment? For sure, but if you have enough at home for what you need to do then no big deal. In the long run, it'll be cheaper to work out at home.

Motivation? Definitely. However, if you can keep up with your home workouts then that's not an issue.

Social interaction? Doesn't concern me. Especially not in covid times.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Except for pool, and dry feet running or biking on rainy days - home/outside is just fine.
    Haven't missed it.

3 days a week, hmmm - push/pull/legs routine.
    1 x weekly though for parts is tough for improvement though - much slower.

Perhaps 3x full body routine - just simplify what the lifts are to fit in the available time.
    Can you spread the days out to fit that routine?
  • al0481113
    al0481113 Posts: 67 Member
    Familiar situation. I used to go to the gym for years and since Covid affected everything I started to work out at home. Two months ago after struggling "gym<>home work out " I went to check the gym. I was so disappointed with conditions so I decided to continue working out at home. And now I actually see more advantages versus disadvantages. You don't need to drive to the gym, you don't need to spend money, you don't need to wait for the certain machines because they are occupied and so on.
    I chose to work out at home))))))
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,366 Member
    No doubt, ythannah. I just bought an ez curl bar and I’m seriously debating a preacher curl bench. Don’t think I really need one of those, so I can’t get myself to pull the trigger to buy one.

I ordered the Powerblocks a couple of days later :D It's just too easy to justify adding to the collection because "it's for my health".

The one piece of equipment I could see me using at a gym would be a leg press. It's not worth joining a gym just to use the leg press but it's a wickedly expensive thing to buy for home.
  • _canadianbakin_
    _canadianbakin_ Posts: 413 Member
    I renewed my gym membership in July and then the Covid numbers starting increasing again, drastically. I have put it on hold again and continue to go for long weeks. About three weeks ago I started incorporating walking workouts. The YT channel I follow is GrowwithJo, absolutely love the workouts and her.