Pescatarian- need help with soy free recipes

Options
Jade_Butterfly
Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
:smile: Okay. . So I really want to stay being pescatarian. . . I eat mostly vegan and vegetarian. . but apparently I have a sensitivity to soy if I eat too much of it.

My thyroid misbehaves and I was getting carpel tunnel like pain. . really bad in my arms. . So I need to minimize the soy in my diet. . I know one source are Quorn products. .

And I do use lentils. . can you please throw some of your regular every day recipes that you use at me. . . I really don't want to go back to eating meat. . It grosses me out. I know my brothers wife has been a vege since she was 16 so I know there are ways to keep the nutritional level right with or without soy.

Thanks in advance.:flowerforyou:

Replies

• bossmodehan
    bossmodehan Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Try this: http://www.mostlyeating.com/comforting-butternut-squash-and-red-lentil-dal
    It's seriously comforting! Look up other dahl recipes too, and get creative with your favourite herbs and spices!
  • acireme
    acireme Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Are you looking for more protein sources (since you said you don't want to go back to meat)? You said you use lentils, good. Other beans (any legumes for that matter) and good sources. I think Seitan is soy free--it's a wheat "meat". Meat analogues that use beans like falafel (chickpeas) I think are soy-free. Grains have lots of protein. Hike up your veggie intake--people think veggies don't have a lot of protein but they really do! I can try to remember your username and come back with actual recipes, but have you looked at 1,000 Vegan Recipes by Robin Robertson? She has lots in there that I eat, like quinoa stuffed zucchini...mmmm.

I've been reading "Eat To Live" by Dr. Joel Fuhrman--there's lots of insight there about the dangers of eating meat and animal products and overeating protein. You may be surprised at the amount of protein we actually need. Not trying to change you or anything, but if you're 1/2 to 3/4 of your way to your "protein needs,' personally I think you're getting enough. Just my stranger opinion though. :) It's tough not being able to eat soy/tofu/tempah. :( Good luck!
  • acireme
    acireme Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Are you looking for more protein sources (since you said you don't want to go back to meat)? You said you use lentils, good. Other beans (any legumes for that matter) and good sources. I think Seitan is soy free--it's a wheat "meat". Meat analogues that use beans like falafel (chickpeas) I think are soy-free. Grains have lots of protein. Hike up your veggie intake--people think veggies don't have a lot of protein but they really do! I can try to remember your username and come back with actual recipes, but have you looked at 1,000 Vegan Recipes by Robin Robertson? She has lots in there that I eat, like quinoa stuffed zucchini...mmmm.

I've been reading "Eat To Live" by Dr. Joel Fuhrman--there's lots of insight there about the dangers of eating meat and animal products and overeating protein. You may be surprised at the amount of protein we actually need. Not trying to change you or anything, but if you're 1/2 to 3/4 of your way to your "protein needs,' personally I think you're getting enough. Just my stranger opinion though. :) It's tough not being able to eat soy/tofu/tempah. :( Good luck!
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Are you doing dairy? Eggs? These can be valuable sources of protein. My diet would look quite sad without them. Also, try portabello mushrooms. Try a lot of different kinds of beans as well. Here a couple of my favorite recipes that I've fixed lately.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/pollock-montreal/detail.aspx
    http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=61963
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/328271-vegetarian-dinner?page=1#posts-4389304

The last one is an MFP thread about vegetarian dinners with loads of very tasty suggestions.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I apologize for asking since I am not veggie - pescatarians eat fish right? You can get a lot of protein from fish and if you are looking for something easy to take with you, most imitation crab meat is white fish (don't know if you eat shellfish). If you get the ones that are frozen, they will stay cold until lunch time without a refrigerator. Hummus is a good source of protein and so are black beans. You can easily do a mexican style dish with black beans, corn, salsa, quinoa/rice/barley. You could even add some fish to that for extra protein. Hope that helps.
  • phlumpet
    phlumpet Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    My mother in law makes some awesome rice and beans. Here is the recipe she gave me:

Ingredients:

2 cups dry beans - kidney, pinto, whatever, just not lentils. (Alternately, buy canned beans and skip the cooking process, which is much faster but not as tasty.)
    One medium onion (red, white or yellow; doesn't matter)
    One red bell pepper, chopped
    One green bell pepper, chopped
    A little bit of cilantro - 1-2 tbsp minced. To your liking. Fresh is better.
    3/4 cup generic tomato sauce - don't go for the sugary Italian flavored sauces with all the fixings. A plain, tomato-based sauce with maybe a hint of basil or oregano would be just fine.
    Salt to taste
    Olive or canola oil, just a tad
    Sofrito 2 Tbsp - this is a key ingredient. It is a distinctly Puerto Rican spice that makes these beans awesome. I would avoid the canned Goya variety, and check out your local Spanish grocery store/bodega (if there's one in your area; we live in the northeast so there are plenty)
    Uncooked squash, 1/2-1 cup, cubed

Directions:

Soak beans overnight. Drain, place in saucepan with water and bring to boil. Continue to boil, partly covered, until cooked (see instructions on package of beans). Test periodically by removing a bean, and biting into it. If it has a whitish center (and it feels not fully cooked), it needs more time.
    Note - DON'T add salt to water before or during cooking of beans.
    Or, for the lazy or time-impaired buy some canned beans and rinse.
    While beans are cooking, sautee (with a small amount of oil) chopped onions, peppers and cilantro until soft.
    Add tomato sauce and sofrito to sauteed veggies, heat until warmed.
    Combine drained, cooked beans and sauce. Add salt to taste. (Optional: add cubed squash). Simmer for 20 minutes covered.
    Serve with rice.

My other favorites: lentil soup and curried lentil recipes (look at www.theppk.com). Quinoa is a staple at our house. It is a pseudograin and a complete protein. You can cook it plain and add salt/butter (I use 1.5 parts water to 1 part dry quinoa - boil water and a pinch of salt, add quinoa, simmer for 12 minutes, done), but there are plenty of recipes available online these days.