Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Solar Energy

mph323
mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
Since we're talking about home temp control I thought it would be interesting (and helpful to me) to see what people have to say about solar vs traditional heating/cooling. We live in an area where we use more cooling in the summer and less heating in the winter, and there's an aggressive campaign by various solar companies going on right now to get everyone on board with solar.

My husband wants me to seriously consider it, but I'm skeptical - some of the claims seem overly optimistic. My concerns are mainly

1. The system is expensive, so even if the reduction in heating/cooling bills is as advertised we would be adding a monthly payment until it's paid off (with the addition of interest on the loan).

2. PG&E is bankrupt and desperate, and has already announced they will start charging for putting excess power back into the grid. I'm a little concerned that they would eventually find a way to tax solar users for not using their service. PG&E is privately owned so I'm not sure what the law is regarding their ability to do this.

3. We plan to sell the house in 10-15 years, and my understanding is that the solar panels don't necessarily add value to the house, and we would end up on the negative side of thousands of dollars in the end.

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience?

Replies

• rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    I am not well-versed in solar yet but hubby and I are researching building our own system as it is cheaper overall vs. a complete system. With that said, I am unsure of the cost of a do it yourself built system but he said if we had one that could power our house with AC, it would take about 12 years for the system to pay for itself ... if you plan to sell the house in 10-15 years, you won't get a return on your investment in my opinion. But again, I am not well-versed. AC sucks up a lot of energy so you would need a fairly big set-up (at least where I live in SE Texas). Right now, we are looking at a smaller system to be able to keep our refrigerator, deep freezer and some fans or a small window AC going should we lose power. That kind of do-it-yourself unit to power just the incidentals is about $3,000 ...
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    UK here. I was reading a little about solar power the other day. The article was saying the pay back time is 5 years. Vastly different to 10 years ago when the panels cost way more and the power generated received a higher payment. Any surplus mostly goes into the grid, at least the older systems do. More modern ones in outlying areas, off grid can and probably do have batteries incorporated into the system.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    @MikePfirrman ,
    Do not enter your information on an add on Facebook or similar unless you want bombarded by calls.

Just curiosity -- I recently heard of this construction (lacking the more usual "to be" before a verb phrase that is essentially the object in the sentence, "bombarded" in this case) as common in Idaho. Is this the construction you intended, and do you think it's common in Arizona? Linguistics in general and English regionalisms more specifically are an interest of mine -- personal as well as tangentially professional.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    edited September 2021
    rhtexasgal wrote: »
    I am not well-versed in solar yet but hubby and I are researching building our own system as it is cheaper overall vs. a complete system. With that said, I am unsure of the cost of a do it yourself built system but he said if we had one that could power our house with AC, it would take about 12 years for the system to pay for itself ... if you plan to sell the house in 10-15 years, you won't get a return on your investment in my opinion. But again, I am not well-versed. AC sucks up a lot of energy so you would need a fairly big set-up (at least where I live in SE Texas). Right now, we are looking at a smaller system to be able to keep our refrigerator, deep freezer and some fans or a small window AC going should we lose power. That kind of do-it-yourself unit to power just the incidentals is about $3,000 ...

If you had x number of dollars to invest would you put it in something where after 12 years you had gotten your x number of dollars back and not a penny more? No, you would call that a crappy investment.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited September 2021
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »

If you had x number of dollars to invest would you put it in something where after 12 years you had gotten your x number of dollars back and not a penny more? No, you would call that a crappy investment.

In California, that's not true. First year, they are net positive in cash. Cali rips people off for energy costs. It's not uncommon for people to have $1000 utility bills in the Summer. A very large solar system will cost, ballpark, around $200 (that's a huge one) on a 20 year loan. Most 2000 SF houses could get by on around $160 a month (ballpark, including battery). That same house might have a $500 Summer utility bill. So would you rather pay $30 to the utility and $160 or for a solar loan or 500 all Summer?

Seriously, in California, if you have decent credit, getting solar isn't just a no brainer, it's insane not to have it.

I sell plenty of solar in Arizona, but it's much cheaper here for electric, so I usually can't offer too much savings from day one. It's more you'll save 15K to 30K over 25 years or so (plus the equity you gain in your home). Considering the average utility bill, here in AZ, is only like 150 a month, that's still a lot of money. The main advantage I have in AZ is that, in most cases, you don't have to buy a battery. Not needed. The utilities are still paying 6 to 8 cents a kWh for what you produce in excess of what you need -- back to the grid. That number is going down by around 10 percent per year. Eventually, AZ will be like Cali, where you only get 2 cents per kWh when you sell it back, necessitating a battery. Batteries make the upfront cost more (by 12K, 9K or so after tax rebate), but they also make what you produce more efficient, so you end up buying less from the utility and keeping more of what you produce, so it's not a bad trade off. If you don't have a battery, the price you get from the utility is your efficiency (here in AZ, roughly 50 percent).

People on this thread are also confusing "paying for itself" and "paying it off" -- completely different. It takes around 8 years to make the money it would have taken to pay it off back. But understand, in California, your net payments (from the residual utility bill and solar payment) will likely be much less from day one. You'll be net positive cash flow from day one with decent credit (and a solar provider that's not ripping you off).

@Lynn -- maybe it's my age (approaching 60). Not from AZ originally. From Southern Ohio, which might as well be Kentucky. I grew up in a small town that was very blue collar and 60% had Appalachian descent. I speak, to this day, with a slight country/Southern draw.

@paperpudding -- yeah, in Australia, you'd be foolish not to have solar. It's around 30% cheaper there, mostly due to regulation, permitting and just (in general) making everything harder. Even the individual states can make it harder. For instance, my contracts in AZ are two pages. In Cali, they are like 40 pages. That's why I don't sell in Cali but have business partners that do.
  • MikePfirrman
    edited September 2021
    Just to add one more thing, commenting on what paperpudding said, if you have decent credit in the US, it's no money down. And what most customers do is to take their Federal Tax Credit (26% of the system cost) and when they get it (in the form of not paying it to the Fed Govt in the form of taxes), put it toward the Solar Loan Principal. That keeps the system cost low. On most 20 year loans, for instance, you'll pay a lower amount for the first 18 months. If you decide to pocket the Fed Tax Credit (if your income qualifies for it), your loan will go up after 18 months (by like $30 a month). But also understand, utilities, on average, go up by 4% or so a year. So sometimes, even if you pocket that amount, which can be quite large, you're still not paying more for the loan that you would for the utility payment when you take 4% per year increases into account had you not gotten the solar.

Another issue to consider. The 26% Fed Tax rebate only lasts one more year (it was extended last year) into 2022. Also, the rate which you sell back to the utility, if you don't have a battery, is locked in for 10 years typically. I don't have a battery and have a solar system on my house. I sell what I don't use back to Trico, my utility, at 6.3 cents per kWh. I'll be locked in for 10 years at that exchange rate. In two years, if someone gets solar then, they will likely only get 4 cents for what they produce in excess.

With interest rates being the cheapest they've ever been, it's a really good time to buy solar. The wait times, on the other hand, especially in Cali, with all the regulation, is silly. Like 6 to 8 months at times. So if someone were to take advantage of the interest rates along with getting the 26% rebate, they better act soon.

The only possible advantage for waiting is that panel efficiency is slowly getting better. I installed a 400 Watt Bifacial panel on my neighbors home. It's a new panel made by a startup that built the largest solar factory in the world (a California based company). Now, you can't find their panels they are in such high demand. These panels are opaque and the sun shines through them. Unlike other panels, they have the solar cells on both sides and pick up 30% more energy on the back side through indirect light. And they aren't much more expensive than other panels and look great. He's super happy. His roof (by his choice) is covered on four planes with panels (he has a complex roof) and he's paying like $160 a month plus $23 for a utility bill (183 total). He was paying $210 to $220 a month. He's also a real estate agent and broker and knows that homes with solar sell for higher amounts.

I also see (possibly) the battery prices getting lower. There are products in the works where they have batteries that would replace your entire electrical box on your home (like a 3 in one -- electrical box, inverter and meter in one). I can see battery tech getting better and cheaper. Panels, I don't see, getting much better any time soon. I'm a tech recruiter as my first business and know that space really, really well.
  • Theoldguy1

In California, that's not true. First year, they are net positive in cash. Cali rips people off for energy costs. It's not uncommon for people to have $1000 utility bills in the Summer. A very large solar system will cost, ballpark, around $200 (that's a huge one) on a 20 year loan. Most 2000 SF houses could get by on around $160 a month (ballpark, including battery). That same house might have a $500 Summer utility bill. So would you rather pay $30 to the utility and $160 or for a solar loan or 500 all Summer?

Seriously, in California, if you have decent credit, getting solar isn't just a no brainer, it's insane not to have it.

I sell plenty of solar in Arizona, but it's much cheaper here for electric, so I usually can't offer too much savings from day one. It's more you'll save 15K to 30K over 25 years or so (plus the equity you gain in your home). Considering the average utility bill, here in AZ, is only like 150 a month, that's still a lot of money. The main advantage I have in AZ is that, in most cases, you don't have to buy a battery. Not needed. The utilities are still paying 6 to 8 cents a kWh for what you produce in excess of what you need -- back to the grid. That number is going down by around 10 percent per year. Eventually, AZ will be like Cali, where you only get 2 cents per kWh when you sell it back, necessitating a battery. Batteries make the upfront cost more (by 12K, 9K or so after tax rebate), but they also make what you produce more efficient, so you end up buying less from the utility and keeping more of what you produce, so it's not a bad trade off. If you don't have a battery, the price you get from the utility is your efficiency (here in AZ, roughly 50 percent).

People on this thread are also confusing "paying for itself" and "paying it off" -- completely different. It takes around 8 years to make the money it would have taken to pay it off back. But understand, in California, your net payments (from the residual utility bill and solar payment) will likely be much less from day one. You'll be net positive cash flow from day one with decent credit (and a solar provider that's not ripping you off).

@Lynn -- maybe it's my age (approaching 60). Not from AZ originally. From Southern Ohio, which might as well be Kentucky. I grew up in a small town that was very blue collar and 60% had Appalachian descent. I speak, to this day, with a slight country/Southern draw.

@paperpudding -- yeah, in Australia, you'd be foolish not to have solar. It's around 30% cheaper there, mostly due to regulation, permitting and just (in general) making everything harder. Even the individual states can make it harder. For instance, my contracts in AZ are two pages. In Cali, they are like 40 pages. That's why I don't sell in Cali but have business partners that do.

The post I was quoting said a 12 year payback for the panels, I took that as the poster understood payback as stated on Investopedia.com

What Is the Payback Period?
    The payback period refers to the amount of time it takes to recover the cost of an investment. Simply put, the payback period is the length of time an investment reaches a break-even point. The desirability of an investment is directly related to its payback period. Shorter paybacks mean more attractive investments.

Given a 12 year payback, that would not be considered a good investment in any way shape or form. 8 year payback is going to be pretty marginal unless we're talking about large, sure returns after the 8 years and a very long life for the asset.

• MikePfirrman
    edited September 2021

The post I was quoting said a 12 year payback for the panels, I took that as the poster understood payback as stated on Investopedia.com

What Is the Payback Period?
    The payback period refers to the amount of time it takes to recover the cost of an investment. Simply put, the payback period is the length of time an investment reaches a break-even point. The desirability of an investment is directly related to its payback period. Shorter paybacks mean more attractive investments.

Given a 12 year payback, that would not be considered a good investment in any way shape or form. 8 year payback is going to be pretty marginal unless we're talking about large, sure returns after the 8 years and a very long life for the asset.

The payback years ago might have been 12 years. In the US, more like 2 now. In California, less. Break even points are more productive than payback periods. There is no cost upfront. The only time that payback periods are pertinent is when someone pays cash for a solar system. Even if they have the money, that's stupid. Even though you get a nice discount with cash purchases, I've convinced many in their 60s and even some in their 70s to hold onto their money and finance it. Why pay for a solar system all upfront when, if you live in the house for 7 years, on a 20 year finance, someone else will gladly pay the 13 year balance and then have free electric (and gladly pay 3% to 5% more for the house!). Why would anyone pay cash upfront is beyond me unless they have money to burn. With 1.5% financing, you can break even, many times even be cash positive, in year one.

I wasn't cash positive from day one, but that was by choice. I went with a 12 year loan, not a 20 year loan. The reason? I intend on winding down and having some fun in retirement in 12 years. I'll be living off of part time income and investments. Instead of a $600 Summer A/C bill, mine will be around $200 max (I got a smaller system than I could have purchased because I know a lot about improving my home's efficiencies) and my solar system will be paid for. $400 or so, when you're looking out for every dime, is a lot of money. I'm likely paying around $20 more (between my utility bill and solar payment) than I did before. I'll break even in two years but have my system paid 100% faster than most.
  • MikePfirrman
    @nooshi713 -- this is a typical example. Yeah, my son sold Solar in San Diego (and later LA) for a year. He left the job because his company focused on leases. He also didn't care for their ethics. That's the only exception in California why someone shouldn't get solar. Either they would have to do a stand alone unit or perhaps if their credit isn't solid. I would never, ever encourage anyone to get a solar loan.
  • lynn_glenmont

Thanks.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Great information here - I really thought it would be much more of a debate :)

I'm convinced to take the next step and sit down with a couple of solar companies and listen to what they have to say. Our PG&E monthly bill during the summer is 400+ even while conserving power as much as possible, and I only see it going up every year.

Thanks for the input, I really value your opinions 😊
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,978 Member

Just commenting on this - since I was person who mentioned paying for itself in 8 years - and gave my rounded off figures of how that happened for me.

Yes it is large sure returns after 8 years and long life of the assett (I think the basic structure has 25 year guarantee)

We have now had solar for 11 years - since paying for itself we are least $2, 500 per year better off - and that will continue on into future years
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    If we are concerned to do what we can and think about global warming, then are able to make use of solar technology, to me it makes sense. As does decreasing the heat/cold sensitivity of our homes.

Last night I was hearing a scientist telling how Norway and Sweden were once under deep ice. Then as the world changed and the ice was lost, so the land has risen. This land rise caused quakes, tsunamis and other geological issues. The scientists are warning Greenland has started the same process with the same expected consequences, not immediately but over decades to come.

Here our petrochemical fuel is being now sold with ethanol added to reduce emissions, its controversial land for fuel or food. I heard of one country which is drawing carbon from the atmosphere. Makes me feel we are so far behind in decreasing our emissions.

20 years ago we let trees grow in the garden, I hope they are doing their bit too, the gt grand children love running through them.
  • Theoldguy1
    @nooshi713 -- this is a typical example. Yeah, my son sold Solar in San Diego (and later LA) for a year. He left the job because his company focused on leases. He also didn't care for their ethics. That's the only exception in California why someone shouldn't get solar. Either they would have to do a stand alone unit or perhaps if their credit isn't solid. I would never, ever encourage anyone to get a solar loan.

I'm sorry but everything you have said about how you suggest acquiring a solar system involves a loan. Some keywords, credit score, discount for cash (says interest is involved), no money down, low interest rates.

How does the way your customers get a system not involve a loan?

• nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member

I'm sorry but everything you have said about how you suggest acquiring a solar system involves a loan. Some keywords, credit score, discount for cash (says interest is involved), no money down, low interest rates.

How does the way your customers get a system not involve a loan?

I’m not sure but maybe he meant purchase instead of lease? I have heard when you lease a system the savings are not as good. I purchased my system but it is financed and I still save a ton of money.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,129 Member
    Really wanted to add solar when I put a new roof on my house several years ago. The contractor I was going to use came and did an assessment. My neighborhood has homes just shy of 75 years old, so there's lots of mature trees. There was just too much shade on my roof for part of the day that at the time it didn't pencil out. We thought about adding solar on a pedestal out in the back yard where there was solar access. That would have taken pretty much most all of my vegetable garden and been pretty ugly.

Now that it's six years later I wonder if costs would have come down enough to put a smaller system up on the roof that would not produce as much power but would make financial sense.

The trees help keep summer temperatures down in our houses. Good thing. Nobody has A/C around here. Well not many people do anyway.
  • lynn_glenmont

You're ignoring the added value to the house (when you sell). I have no idea what that might be, but it seems extremely unlikely to be zero or negative. My recollection last time I was in the market, people were required to make property tax and utility payment info available to potential buyers.