Can't get myself to eat enough

Options
Starting on here again two weeks or so ago has brought to my attention that I don't eat nearly enough. I have been eating no more than 900 calories every day, sometimes as low as 500 calories. I know this is incredibly unhealthy but I just do not get hungry. What should I do? Don't want to go about this unhealthily. thanks loves! best of luck to all of you!

Replies

• rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    i wish i had your problem :) ...protein shakes? sprinkle hemp seed on food, couple extra glasses of milk or alternatives should bring you up
  • deniellelucas
    Options
    Eating a snack every 2 hours hungry or not will make a huge difference. I know that the more my body gets used to eating every 2 hours the more I notice I'm hungry every 2 hours. Once your body realizes you are no longer starving it it will leave survival mode and you will get hungry.
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Don't eat low cal or FF food. Real food - cheese, milk, ice cream, butter, cream, dressing, etc. They'll help you find the extra calories you're looking for.
  • johnhowson
    johnhowson Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    500 calories is worryingly low! Add fat into your diet that will start to help raise the calories.
    Snacks too are a good idea spread out the eating.
    Good luck
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,687 Member
    Options
    Eat more calorie dense foods.
  • Sararainmaker
    Sararainmaker Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Eat a good breakfast every day. when you sleep, you are essentially fasting. Breaking your fast first thing in the morning will allow your body to go back to a normal mode. also, if you have been eating like this for a long time, then it's also likely your metabolism is drastically slowed. eating breakfast and regular meals will help with that.

Try just eating a bowl of healthy cereal in the morning or oatmeal. this should get your system started up. :)
  • GreatSetOfBrains
    GreatSetOfBrains Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Put yourself on a schedule, you body will learn and want to eat. . .
  • Michelle_J
    Michelle_J Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    a handful of almonds will provide some calorie content. They have some yummy flavors-soy & wasabi, habanero bbq.....
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    I realized a couple months ago that I had the same problem. Maybe add some pastas into your diet? I started eating breakfast again and that has since helped spike my calorie intake and lack of hunger.
  • Mahoners13
    Options
    Eat complex carbohydrates. Avoid sugars and saturated fats and stick to lean meat and complex carbs (example: sweet potato fries). Consume protein with each meal along with those "good" carbs every 3 hours. Force yourself to eat perfectly like that for 3 days straight along with adequate exercise and after that it will become habit and your body will kick in with it.
  • Fit4_Life
    Fit4_Life Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way..I eat breakfast, lunch and eat healthy snacks. I guess I watch too much of what I eat, fear that I would go over and too tired to exercise in the evening. But then again...I make up for it on Saturday (which is my "worry free calorie day"). I may buy some protein shakes for low calorie days..
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Aim toward eating more calorie dense foods, not necessary quantity of food.

Breakfast - Steel cut oats, fresh berries, greek yogurt, eggs, whole wheat toast w/peanut butter or almond butter
    Lunch - A salad of as many different veggies and protein (beans, chicken, beef, hard boiled eggs) or a great sandwich on a multi grain bread or left overs from supper the night before
    Supper - lean proteins, lots of fresh veggies (steamed or roasted) sweet potatos, avocados, whole wheat pasta

Please don't try to eat your calories comprised of bars, shakes and empty calorie snacks. Your body needs some nutrition if you have only been eating 500-900 calories/day.
  • jeeping_mom
    Options
    I wish I had calories to spare - avocados. I would put them on everything. Good fat, too high in calories for my diet.
  • spackham
    spackham Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I had the same "diet" problem and it is easy to solve. I added nuts and avocado and sometimes I would go to my parents home and tell them "I need to have some chocolate covered almonds today" (didn't dare to keep them in my home) and then I would count out what I needed. When you don't eat enough on a regular basis, you don't get hungry. You may gain 4-5 pounds when you start eating but it will come off quickly. The rest has been EASY until I got to a size 10. So, enjoy food, it is good for you! Your body needs it. I also had blood work and all the good fat really helped my numbers pretty quickly. Friend me!