Weight Loss Patterns

Options
So I am a 28 year old male, 5"8, currently 236 lbs but my starting weight was 299 lbs on 21st April 2021.

At first weight loss was so fast, which was to be expected, I would weigh myself everyday and I could see myself losing half a pound everyday! And it would show on the scale.

But now I go weeks without seeing change on the scale, then suddenly I just lose 3 lbs overnight. Why is this? At 236 lbs I am still obese so weight loss should still be relatively fast no? But what changed my reflection of weight on the scale?

Why I used to see daily change, now I only see it after a week(s)?

If anyone could shed some light on this, please that would be very helpful and insightful for me and maybe for others. Thank you!

Replies

• Harpin_Maddog
    Harpin_Maddog Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Could be several reasons. 1 could be that your BMR is lower now than when you started. So if you are eating the same calories as when you started, your deficit is smaller now. As you lose weight, your BMR decreases since it takes less energy to move a lighter body. 2nd, I would look at your sodium intake. You could just be retaining some water then losing it a few days later which could explain a few pound difference all of a sudden. Not uncommon to lose a pound or more while you sleep due to water loss. My honest opinion would be to take out a tape measure and track your measurements to see if you are losing inches in certain areas. That is more of a realistic indicator. If you are losing inches, the scale will catch up at some point. If you are not losing inches or pounds, you may want to recalculate your caloric intake and expenditure. Could be just bad math.
  • viajera99
    viajera99 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Totally, completely normal. This article can shed a little light on why. https://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the 63 pound loss!

Have you adjusted your calorie goal downward? MFP used to ask you if you wanted to do that after every 10 pounds lost, but I don't think it is still doing that.

What is your final goal weight?
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    am i reading this right? 63 pounds in roughly 4 months?

how many calories per day are you eating? how much are you exercising and how many of those calories are you eating back?

I ask because that is EXTREMELY rapid weight loss, even for someone with a lot to lose, assuming that time frame is correct.

it is NORMAL to not see much, or any movement on the scale for a week or so. even a few, and then wake up and be down one, two, or a few pounds for seemingly no reason. bodies are weird and that is normal. you simply do not lose every day, or every week. weight loss is not linear. it goes up and down a bit every day, due to many reasons. it is an overall trend, over time, that you are looking for, a downward slope, if you will. it is not a straight line down.

unns777ub7m2.jpg