Any other gluten allergies out there?

Options
Hi, Im pretty new to MyFitnessPal and so far its awesome. I just recently found out this summer that I am now allergic to gluten, corn, and milk. It is soooo lame. I have had to change my eating habits dramatically. It wouldn't be so hard if I was living at home with a kitchen, but i am a college student. I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to get enough protein in your diet when you are in college with no kitchen, love to work out, have a limited amount of money and 3 crazy food allergies. I can work a little with corn and milk, but gluten is off limits. Any tips would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks!

Replies

• yesenia195p
    yesenia195p Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I bought one of those grilling machines. Works great! And all you need is an outlet
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    My advice. . go to the search tool on here and put in gluten free recipes. . You will find a lot of threads with recipes and websites where you can find more. . I just looked it up the other day for a friend of mine that told me she too is on a gluten free diet. . and with hers egg free as well. . so I gave her all the substitutes for that too. . So know there are others and you will have support here. . Good luck in your fitness journey!
  • meeperoon
    meeperoon Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Does your local grocery store have a gluten free section? Ones in the UK do and the food looks rather yummy from what Ive seen!! :) x
  • labrat26
    labrat26 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    my daughter is gluten, egg, dairy, beef, bean, and soy free. Pretty much clean eating. stuff from scratch. I am so sorry....especially with living somewhere like residence, where there is no where to cook. If you can, or are in an apartment, there are sooooo many options for gluten free....pastas, flours, cereals.... search the internet, and experiment. even trying foods from other cultures....We found asian, and carribean cooking was more allery friendly....good luck.
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Wanted to share this thread with you we have had going for those who are gluten free. Others on there are dairy, or corn free or whatever as well. it's been a great group of people with lots of helpful ideas. We just hit 500, so here are both threads, so you can look over what we have shared, or just join in on the second thread.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/207159-gluten-free-girls-and-guys
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/342365-gluten-free-girls-and-guys
  • lovelyiskey
    lovelyiskey Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    It's probably a blessing in disguise for you (your allergies). Enriched flours and stuff are terrible for you. full of chemicals and false nutrients for the most part.

I can't eat corn cause it causes weight gain and i have trouble drinking more than an ounce of milk if i'm not working our hard.

I'm really focus on health as well as weightloss and fitness. I love gluten free breads, crackers, cookies etc. I never feel bloated and puffy or tired after i eat them.

You can get lots of proteins out of veggies, seeds, nuts legumes. be sure to balance your foods though, cause you need to replace the vitamins you can't get from what you can't have beyond just the carbs, etc. here's a good article: http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/nutrition_articles.asp?id=158
  • rabbit99_47203
    Options
    good luck
  • Nikkiham520
    Nikkiham520 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Sorry you are having to deal with this. It really sucks at first, but it gets easier. In most stores there is an organic freezer section, and the GF bread is in there. Udi's is my favorite, but I have heard rudi's is good, too. I buy it frozen, but let it thaw and eat on it all week. Amy's brand has some frozed dinners that are GF, but not sure about corn. Blue diamond rice crackers are very yummy. You could do cheeseand crackers for snacks. Hoping you have a mini fridge and microwave. Walmart has large bags of trail mix for like $5. Potato chips....I know that aren't healthy, but sometimes you gotta have a salty snack. Lots and lots of fruit. Oh yeah...Udi's has bagels, too. Good luck!
  • Nikkiham520
    Nikkiham520 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Sorry....didn't even see the milk part. Dang!!! Good luck!