Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

whats with the tanning?

I understand wanting a nice little glow, but I don't get why the majority of fitness/health freaks (term of endearment, I promise) that I know are so concerned about hitting the tanning beds. I feel like that's pretty counter-productive - trying to be healthy but causing skin damage at the same time. WTF.

(Random thought of the day. Don't hate.)

Replies

• keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Sunbeds are my guilty pleasure.

I so shouldn't use them tho- I'm not about having a winter tan either really so won't be going anywhere near them for a long time!
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    spray tan all the way
  • I appreciate your concern...

Well for me it is part of my daily schedule to take a quick jog in the sun shirtless to absorb some of the Vitamin D.
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    The darker you are the more muscle definition shows up.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    I agree. A friend of mine has gotten into fitness modeling and competitions and now she looks burnt. It's really gross.
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    I'm won't do it. I'm fair skinned and I like it. To each his or her own though...but I wouldn't mind a spray tan...if I could afford it. Damn economy.
  • i used to do tanning beds but stopped since i didn't want a) skin cancer b) to waste anymore money c) to look old

now i'm just happy with the whiteness i am. but i do get a twinge of jealousy when i see nice tan legs! it takes me forever to tan and makes me a little angry that i'd have to fake tan to get that!

anywho...
  • I'm so used to seeing the really ripped and buff dudes as really tan, then one day I found out why... there is a really ripped and buff dude at the gym I go to who is as pale as me (I slap on the 50-80spf every day). He looked silly :p
  • I'm so used to seeing the really ripped and buff dudes as really tan, then one day I found out why... there is a really ripped and buff dude at the gym I go to who is as pale as me (I slap on the 50-80spf every day). He looked silly :p

Like a ribbed condom?
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    I don't get it either. orange is not supposed to be a skin color.
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    We always knew tanning beds were a bad idea, but in the last couple of years info has come out to prove just how bad they really are. I'm surprised some nanny-state nutjob hasn't started a campaign to outlaw them yet. The only other legal thing more dangerous is cigarettes.
  • jennmoore3
    jennmoore3 Posts: 1,013 Member
    the local tanning place by me runs a special 1 time a year. dollar a tan so I buy like 50 tans, and spread them out over the whole year. some days in the winter I go just to relax. I go about 8-10 minutes once a week or maybe twice a week if I have a bad week. it is relaxing and really I don't get "tan" from it. to me it is a small time of alone time in the warmth.

I know a waste if I don't get dark, but it is my relaxing time.
  • charityateet
    charityateet Posts: 574 Member
    I refuse to tan in beds because of the health risk and also wear spf 30+ but admit to being jealous of tanned girls!
  • Haha, I can't tan, even if I try. Even mid summer on the beach I'm the whitest person there (non-racial comment). I don't have a problem with other people tanning but I don't understand the concept of tanning beds because of the health risks, costs, etc.
  • kind of funny to me to run across this after tonight I just went and signed up for a months unlimited tanning..... lol
  • Well...I believe in sunshine and Vitamin D and make sure I get plenty but having watched three family members die from melanoma...I'm not pressing my luck by tanning.

Besides all I can think of when I'm lying there is "what if a light bulb explodes and sets this thing on fire?"
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    I don't get it either. My sister fake and baked all through her 20s and made fun of me for being "albino".

Now she's 30, has already had a skin cancer scare, and she looks like she's 40.
  • genxrider
    genxrider Posts: 107 Member
    Tanning beds are actually addicting - like cigarettes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/22/health/22brod.html
  • kmcrey87
    kmcrey87 Posts: 422 Member
    spray tan all the way

Agreed!
  • donnaeve8
    donnaeve8 Posts: 113 Member
    GTL!! Seriously though, I get free tanning with my gym membership so I use it. I also get SAD so it helps on a cloudy cold day. Those are my reasons, anyway!