60 this year and lost 1/2 my body weight

Options

Replies

• oldiebutgoody
    oldiebutgoody Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    love to join this group - just cant seem to get my self in gear. need to lose at least 40 pounds. i am old 75 -
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    @oldiebutgoody
    Your only as old as you feel as the cliche goes. I'm a RN. I've seen 75 year olds that look 50 and I've see 50 year olds that look 90!
    WELCOME!
  • jaded989
    jaded989 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I am 64 and this is not my first time at this rodeo unfortunately. I just started keeping track on MFP again a little under a week ago. At a little under 5'4 and a starting weight of 220 I don't quite need to lose half my body weight. I am a lifetime yo yo dieter and have successfully lost a lot of weight in the past. I'm usually pretty good at keeping it off for a few years (usually around 5 or so) before it creeps back on. I really need to get off this hamster wheel, it's exhausting, lol. It does get harder as you get older so I'm hoping I can get healthy again and this time MAINTAIN.
  • swimmom_1
    edited September 2021
    Options
    @jaded989

Welcome! Your background is like deja vu to mine. Same age, same height and I lost more than half my weight before and kept it off 5 years and doing it again.
  • ideas2
    ideas2 Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Good for you Sharon 7986! It is a huge accomplishment.
    Why don't we make a community/group of women who are in their 50's who need to lose half their body weight? I think we could do a lot to support each other! :) What do you all think? @pdd1216 @Jem594 @cymande1961 and anyone else! :)

This is my first attempt at posting here so I don´t really know how it works, but I would be interested in trying such a group. I also am in my 50s and need to lose almost half my body weight. I am at my highest weight ever. Once in my lifetime I lost 75 pounds, and slowly gained it back over 8 years. Then I lost 85 pounds, kept it off for 4 years and but then gained it back (and more) over the next 6 years. At my age and condition now, I am not capable of exercising as much as I did before so I have less confidence about being able to do it now. The fact that someone can do it at 60 is very inspiring.

Can someone explain to me how I will find this thread again? It happened to pop up on the side of my screen when I was logging my food. At this point I am not sure how to navigate this site. If I don´t respond it will be because I lost the thread and don´t know how to follow-up. @dodieneatfreakwannabe

• Sharon7986
    Sharon7986 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    ideas2 wrote: »
    Good for you Sharon 7986! It is a huge accomplishment.
    Why don't we make a community/group of women who are in their 50's who need to lose half their body weight? I think we could do a lot to support each other! :) What do you all think? @pdd1216 @Jem594 @cymande1961 and anyone else! :)

This is my first attempt at posting here so I don´t really know how it works, but I would be interested in trying such a group. I also am in my 50s and need to lose almost half my body weight. I am at my highest weight ever. Once in my lifetime I lost 75 pounds, and slowly gained it back over 8 years. Then I lost 85 pounds, kept it off for 4 years and but then gained it back (and more) over the next 6 years. At my age and condition now, I am not capable of exercising as much as I did before so I have less confidence about being able to do it now. The fact that someone can do it at 60 is very inspiring.

Can someone explain to me how I will find this thread again? It happened to pop up on the side of my screen when I was logging my food. At this point I am not sure how to navigate this site. If I don´t respond it will be because I lost the thread and don´t know how to follow-up. @dodieneatfreakwannabe
    Hello Ideas2 (sorry I don’t know your name). I’ve sent you an invite to the group. It’s actually 2:45am here to I won’t chat but hope you see the link in your messages x
  • Sharon7986
    Options
    jaded989 wrote: »
    I am 64 and this is not my first time at this rodeo unfortunately. I just started keeping track on MFP again a little under a week ago. At a little under 5'4 and a starting weight of 220 I don't quite need to lose half my body weight. I am a lifetime yo yo dieter and have successfully lost a lot of weight in the past. I'm usually pretty good at keeping it off for a few years (usually around 5 or so) before it creeps back on. I really need to get off this hamster wheel, it's exhausting, lol. It does get harder as you get older so I'm hoping I can get healthy again and this time MAINTAIN.

Hello Jaded989 (sorry I don’t know your name). It’s 2:45am here in the UK so I must get some sleep, but I’ve just sent you a link to the group. It should be in your messages
  • Sharon7986
    Options
    jaded989 wrote: »

Hello oldiebutgoodie (sorry I don’t know your name). It’s almost 3:00am in the UK so I can’t chat right now. I have sent to an invite to join the group. You should get a message
  • Wattyz
    Wattyz Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Way to go! I turn 48 next week and would love to join the group please.
  • Rosemarie2972
    Rosemarie2972 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you! What an accomplishment! I wonder how much exercise you did? You must feel great!
  • swimmom_1
    Options
    swimmom_1 wrote: »
    I'm 64 and on my way to lose at least half my body weight. Started losing after starting a new RN position without a micro manager and without trying I started losing weight. Then after gallbladder surgery, during recouping, read up on Keto, and actively started to participate in a diet. Today finally got below 200!

9/14/20-255 lbs (Unfortunately second time this heavy)
    12/15/20- 243 lbs
    5/3/21- 240.5 lbs
    5/14/21- 232.2 lbs started MFP
    6/1/21-228.8 lbs
    7/1/21- 222.2 lbs
    8/1/21- 212 lbs
    9/1/21- 200 lbs
    9/7/21- 199.4 lbs!!!!!!

My ultimate goal is back to 122 lbs. Had got down to this in 2009 and only kept it off for 5 years and got lazy. I felt the best at this weight. I'm only 5'4". I had so much energy. Had a tibial plateau fracture in 2015 and had to learn to walk again. After years of having to go up 1 step at a time and meeting my other foot to it, about a week ago, I can now alternate steps going upstairs.

9/12/21-198 lbs-I do 99 minutes/8 miles on my Elliptical on my 3 days off/week. Stayed on track this week with my Net Carbs and Calories. Have to go shopping today for new uniforms. I can't continue to roll the waist down on my pants any longer. Down 57 lbs so far!
  • nannurse
    nannurse Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Good job! I'm 57 and working on an 80 lb loss journey. I've got a little over 20 lb to go! Friend request sent!
  • MaggieQ1960
    MaggieQ1960 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for sharing your victory. Congratulations! That's incredible, and you look so good. I was always worried about my face sagging with losing weight at my age, but you look fantastic. I'm in the same boat as you were once in, and I want out. I'm 61, 230 pounds (16 stones 6 pounds) and about 5'4". I would love to join your group for the advice, if you don't mind.
  • Sharon7986
    Options
    Congrats to you! What an accomplishment! I wonder how much exercise you did? You must feel great!

Hello Rosemarie
    I have to confess I do no exercise at all. I have an inland waterway boat (canal boat) that I use most weekends when the English weather isn’t too bad, but other than that, am sedentary. Just running up and down the stairs at my family’s beck and call!
  • Sharon7986
    Options

Sorry I missed part of your message. I actually feel 30 years younger. Before I needed help to get off the floor or go up
    the stairs. I’ll be 60 at the beginning of December and the last time I weighed this weight I was maybe 25. People that haven’t seen me for a little while call me the incredible shrinking woman, which I think is hilarious. My mum used to say that she felt overwhelmed when I used to sit near her because I was so big compared to her. Honestly, finding what works for you is the hardest bit. Once it starts to come off and keeps doing that, you really don’t mind eating that way. I feel that I have found my golden key. I’m hoping everyone who has reached out, finds theirs
  • Sharon7986
    Options
    nannurse wrote: »
    Good job! I'm 57 and working on an 80 lb loss journey. I've got a little over 20 lb to go! Friend request sent!

That’s wonderful. Home stretch and then the treat of finding clothes to make the most of your new shape. I have bought so many clothes on this journey (loads of them with tags on still). Now I can’t wear them so mixed emotions. Keep going!! Xx
  • Sharon7986
    Options
    Thanks so much for sharing your victory. Congratulations! That's incredible, and you look so good. I was always worried about my face sagging with losing weight at my age, but you look fantastic. I'm in the same boat as you were once in, and I want out. I'm 61, 230 pounds (16 stones 6 pounds) and about 5'4". I would love to join your group for the advice, if you don't mind.

Thank you Maggie
    To be honest I’m shocked at the response to my story. 3,000 MFP members have read it, and 76 members have contacted me. I started a group thinking I might make a friend, and it’s snowballed. I will send you a link to the group as it will be easier to find the lovely people who want to stay in touch.
    Face is absolutely fine after 141 pounds lost, but the rest only looks great when I’m dressed!!
    I will be happy to offer advice and support whenever possible. Bear in mind that I’m in the UK and almost everyone else is in USA so big time difference. Also I work full time, so there may be delays in me responding.
    Will sort out the link to the group now x
  • Sharon7986
    Options
    nannurse wrote: »

That’s been accepted. Take care xx
  • cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    60 yo in the same boat as many who have posted. Please send me an invite too please!
  • Sharon7986
    Options
    cory17 wrote: »
    60 yo in the same boat as many who have posted. Please send me an invite too please!

I’ve sent you an invite to the group. Welcome!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!