Seriously Lacking Motivation

Options
I know i need to get my backside into gear and lose some serious weight. I've always been morbidly obese for my age, and in recent years, my job as a postman has been more of a struggle because of it. If it weren't for the job, im not sure where i'd be.

I'm not sure if I lack motivation, support, both ? Who knows.

I work a lot, and struggle with having time to have a break to eat healthily, and drink enough during the day. While i'm at work, i've never been one for drinking much, as it's not always easy to find somewhere to pee. The hours and shifts i work, don't make it easy to eat a healthy diet, so quite often i binge, or snack during the day, then come home at eat a large meal, late in the evening, which i don't burn off.

I feel most of the time like i'm in an endless, vicious cycle and don't know where to start to get out of it. I've tried most fad diets going over the years, none have worked well, as once you stop even for a couple of days, the weight just comes back with a vengeance.

It all just really gets me down at times, and don't feel i can discuss it with my family.

Thanks for reading.

Replies

• ehju0901
    ehju0901 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing you have to be to work pretty early in the morning, but you could start with a small change and eat a small breakfast in the morning. I usually have 1-2 hard-boiled eggs and a banana. Maybe a protein bar as well. I never was much of a breakfast person before, but I've found that this has helped regulate my digestive system and I don't binge eat nearly as much as I used to.

You could also try packing a small lunch. Wraps are easy to prep, or even a sandwich with some low calorie bread. I went through a tuna sandwich phase for a while. It was relatively low in calories and super easy to make and eat on-the-go. Incorporate some fruit or veggies if you can.

My newest thing I like to eat if I am in a hurry is some shredded chicken. I buy it from our local deli where it is already prepped. I usually just eat it cold with a fork. Not the most cost-effective, but it is filling, tastes good and is high in protein! You could prep a lot of this during the weekend and freeze it and have a few bites at a time while you are on your route. Just have to pack a cooler!

Lastly, you also need to watch what you are eating for dinner. Is it nutritious? Is it home-cooked and high in fats? Is it frozen and high in sodium? All things to consider! Incorporate a fruit or veggie with your dinners. Research ways to substitute some healthier alternatives for those less-healthy but tasty meals. Have a salad with your dinner, or some cottage cheese.

Just remember, you don't need to change it all at once, but if you make small changes over time it will all come together! You can do it! :)
  • LeeH31
    LeeH31 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Well. That fizzled quickly!
  • ehju0901
    ehju0901 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I added @TheChunkyPostie as a friend and it looks like he has been losing a few pounds here and there! Something must be working! :)
  • metaphysicalstudio
    Options
    Motivation is a fickle friend. Developing a routine or a lifestyle is a better approach. It can time awhile to develop, but it has more staying power than willpower or motivation.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    Motivation is a fickle friend. Developing a routine or a lifestyle is a better approach. It can time awhile to develop, but it has more staying power than willpower or motivation.

You beat me to it! Although the words I use are "discipline" and "habits."

Here's why:

http://www.wisdomination.com/screw-motivation-what-you-need-is-discipline/
  • linza7116
    linza7116 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a lack of bliss in your life. I understand, I eat to try and recover a sense of joy, bliss or even just happiness in my life. Anti depressants made me feel this way even more acutely so I don't take them anymore. I don't seem to have emotions about anything any longer, even my grandson being born. I suspect I am suppressing grief (several deaths in the family circle and the world), the loss of my youth. Do you have anything like that going on? Meditation has helped me and now I'm going to try grief counseling.
  • TheChunkyPostie
    TheChunkyPostie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, thanks for your messages, and after a long while away from things, I'm back.
    I hit my heaviest, which made me feel quite depressed, and lacking in motivation. This also made me stress eat, which is really bad. But I got chatting with a good friend and colleague, who had also struggled. Well, 6 weeks ago we both joined a gym that was opening near us, and in that time I've visited the place 28 times. I lost 9lbs in the first few weeks, but over Christmas I put a few back on. With my friend's support, and being more active and taking my meals in the MyFitnessPal app, I'm now 2lbs below my pre-christmas weight.
    I've set myself some realistic goals now, which includes losing weight gradually until my family holiday in 18 months time. And generally improve my fitness and wellbeing.
    I'm now feeling stronger, fitter and healthier than I have done in a long while. And it's doing wonders to my mental health.

I'll keep you all updated as to my progress, but please send me a friend request. I'd like to build a support network.

Thanks for reading. :smile:
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,083 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, thanks for your messages, and after a long while away from things, I'm back.
    I hit my heaviest, which made me feel quite depressed, and lacking in motivation. This also made me stress eat, which is really bad. But I got chatting with a good friend and colleague, who had also struggled. Well, 6 weeks ago we both joined a gym that was opening near us, and in that time I've visited the place 28 times. I lost 9lbs in the first few weeks, but over Christmas I put a few back on. With my friend's support, and being more active and taking my meals in the MyFitnessPal app, I'm now 2lbs below my pre-christmas weight.
    I've set myself some realistic goals now, which includes losing weight gradually until my family holiday in 18 months time. And generally improve my fitness and wellbeing.
    I'm now feeling stronger, fitter and healthier than I have done in a long while. And it's doing wonders to my mental health.

I'll keep you all updated as to my progress, but please send me a friend request. I'd like to build a support network.

Thanks for reading. :smile:

Well if you ever lose track again (because them bad days come out of nowhere) come back and read what you've written again
    Your update sounded much more positive! Remember how all these positive changes make you feel! You said you're feeling stronger, healthier and fitter and your mental health has improved greatly! So remmeber that on the bad days and just keep on going!
    Good luck and I hope you continue!
  • Vette8828
    Vette8828 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I got my motivation from my doctor. I was 264 lbs when I was diagnosed with high BP and oncoming heart failure. A real wake-up call as I'm only 65 and not ready to die or worse be immobile!
    Today I am 171 lbs and nearing my target weight of 165 and the new watch I've promised myself.

Before I could not walk up 2 flights of stairs without being breathless. Now I feel great, I look a lot better though my clothes are too big!
    I am sure there are not many out there as lazy as I was regarding my weight. If I can do it so can you.

The benefits are great and as you lose weight your self-confidence will increase to the point where you will be fighting women off with a stick! Do this for yourself, this is your battle, for your benefit, no one else's.
  • Mikoo1991
    Mikoo1991 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    How is it going now? I would advise calorie counting, it really works!
  • TheChunkyPostie
    TheChunkyPostie Posts: 5 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    I'm back again, and now feeling very low. After doing so well pre-christmas, and even over christmas. I've been hit with a massive blow, which has seen me cancel my gym membership and also get so off track, it's more of a train wreck than ever.

At the beginning of January i felt numbness heading from my buttocks down my leg. As soon as this happened i went in to A&E, and sat there for hours worrying, and waiting. After their initial exam they told me to come next day for an MRI. They found that i had 2 prolapsed discs in my lower back. Gradually the numbness spread from just being on the left side, over to the right side, so now i was pretty much numb from the waist down. It's having a real negative effect my both my physical health and my mental wellbeing. I've not been able to work for 11 weeks, the numbness is pretty much still there, and i'm currently on a 20 week waiting list for a Neurology appointment. Due to the numbness and stiffness in the legs they way it's affecting the muscles in the legs, it's had a bad effect on my balance.

I started back at work last week, on my full hours, but only indoors. This was in the hope that it would help get my circulation working again, and gradually regain some muscle strength. Everything i'd lost before this unfortunate episode, i'e put back on and more, just because i was unable to walk much.

I'm gutted to say the least.