To cleanse or not to cleanse that is the question ?

Options
I have been at my goal of 150 for quite awhile and I'm wondering if I should do a cleanse or not. I read tons of reviews but they all have negative and positive feedback. Any information would be appreciated and what works and what doesn't. Thanks.

Replies

• Stephanie08
    Stephanie08 Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I did one from Herbal Life, it is all natural, and the ingredients were mostly fiber. I liked it, it worked well, but for weight loss it didn't really make me lose weight.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Cleanse what? I would venture 'not to cleanse' considering your liver and kidneys do rather well on their own.
  • sandi228
    sandi228 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Colon cleanse and detox.
  • koosdel
    Options
    Colon cleanse and detox.

I see.

My opinion, skip it. Just eat 'clean', and be patient. Your body is rather well suited to cleansing itself.
  • sandi228
    Options
    I feel bloated and sluggish and think the cleanse will help.
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Colon cleanse and detox.

I see.

My opinion, skip it. Just eat 'clean', and be patient. Your body is rather well suited to cleansing itself.

Ditto, those gimmicks are a waste of money. If you feel bloated cut down on salts (sodium) and stick with complex carbs like Whole Wheat & Whole Grain for energy.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I vote no. Save your money. What will you do after the cleanse? Go back to eating how you do now and feel sluggish and bloated again?

I suggest taking a look at your diet and see if it's what you're eating in general, or maybe you have a food sensitivity you don't know about causing the bloat.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I vote no. Save your money. What will you do after the cleanse? Go back to eating how you do now and feel sluggish and bloated again?

I suggest taking a look at your diet and see if it's what you're eating in general, or maybe you have a food sensitivity you don't know about causing the bloat.

^^ this

And what koosdel said
  • koosdel
    Options
    Just so happens, I feel bloated at the moment... mostly because I found a bottle of chocolate syrup in the frihe last night, and couldnt resist! Lol!!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I feel bloated and sluggish and think the cleanse will help.

Then drink water..and lots of it!

Those cleanses are a waste of money and prob. dangerous.. you can achieve the same thing by drinking water.
  • sandi228
    Options
    Thanks. I'm not eating differently, nor will I change how I eat after a cleanse. I have worked hard since Jan 2011 and I don't want to gain the weight back.
  • crudolph76
    Options
    At one time I wanted to "cleanse." But those things are expensive...and I wasn't sure it would do anything to help.

once my diet changed, my body cleansed itself. I was regular about 2-3 times a day...no problem keeping a clean colon.

When I started taking Casein before bed, it constipated me quickly, and I used stimulant laxatives to loosen me up. Only used them for a day...and I was nice and back to normal.

Eat good foods. Tons of veggies. Drink a lot of water. Get plenty of fiber in your diet. Add Flaxseed to your yogurts or oatmeals or cereals. Skip the cleanse.
  • sandi228
    Options
    Thanks.
  • nancyl8198
    nancyl8198 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I asked my dietician about a cleanse after they tried to talk me into buying a detox program on a cruise. It was only $100 a month - totally insane! She told me that if I really wanted to do a cleanse or detox to just drink hot water and lemon. Most of those pills are just high levels of citric acid anyway. I'm not sure it that's true or not, but having a glass of hot water with lemon once a day is not expensive and it has helped me drop some water weight that had been sticking around.
  • sandi228
    Options
    Oh that sounds like a good idea. I like affordable!!!
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    If your body is holding on to wastes - there is a bigger problem then needing a cleanse. Your body is set up to rid itself of everything it doesn't need. Cleanses are a racket and I bet some of them aren't very safe.
  • iheartyarn
    iheartyarn Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    check out kris carr's book "crazy sexy diet" its not a "diet" like gimmick diets.. there is a 21 day mostly raw vegan gf cleanse in there, i am doing it now and feel amazing. she talks a lot about ph balance in the body and how it affects you :D
  • sandi228
    Options
    I'll be sure to check out the book, thanks
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    So what does a cleanse do? Apparently "remove" toxins and excess "undigested" waste from your body? If that's the issue then your own "filtration" system is jacked up.
    In reality, you'll spend money on a placebo effect that won't affect your weight loss (minus some water weight, but returns when you drink water again) when you could use that money for some good fiber.
  • girlypop
    Options
    I like to sauna and I think of that as cleansing... but ultimately I would really suggest just eating well and exercising. If you really do feel that you must 'cleanse your body' I guess a few (2-4) days of just straight fruits and vegs is what i'd suggest. Your body will survive without the protein and you'll likely intake a pile extra fibre which should cleanse the system a bit. Nothing extreme is necessary, so I wouldn't recommend master cleanse or anything like that.