Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Journal article: Root causes of the obesity epidemic are more related to what we eat

Options
MargaretYakoda
MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,350 Member
Note: At the time of posting I have not yet read the article. I am sharing for discussion.

Root causes of the obesity epidemic are more related to what we eat rather than how much we eat

Perspective published in The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition

The carbohydrate-insulin model: a physiological perspective on the obesity pandemic
The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition
Published: 13 September 2021

https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/advance-article/doi/10.1093/ajcn/nqab270/6369073

This story in SciTech Daily discusses the journal article
https://scitechdaily.com/scientists-claim-overeating-is-not-the-primary-cause-of-obesity-point-to-more-effective-weight-loss-strategies/amp/

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    It is very interesting.

And then comments of a study last year showing the other side of the idea.

The SciTech comments keep quoting terms on processed carbs and other specific terms, so be interesting to see what they are actually testing for.

https://youtu.be/faDqI5GMM5g

Forgot this review.

https://youtu.be/SsSHzTsG4wY
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    Hmm, is Ludwig no longer demonizing all carbs, but just hyper-palatable foods?
  • I2k4
    I2k4 Posts: 179 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Reading the SciTechDaily piece, I suspect looking at exactly the same weekly food intake of an obese American, first through CICO spectacles and then through carb/insulin spectacles, both would show that it's causing obesity. The claim then is that telling that obese American to eat something better based on carb/insulin, instead of just eating less of the same based on CICO, would help lose the fat. Seems sensible from a scientific perspective that's a better thing to tell the subject to do, but what makes science think he/she would do it?
  • lulehlu
    lulehlu Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Where does the fat come from? Is the supposition that the body is converting other macros to fat?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    viajera99 wrote: »
    Layne Norton destroys the BS in this article.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FS7SQKXCyM0

That was very interesting. I listened to it while I made potato salad :lol:

I particularly liked the part starting @ 22:20 about how Asians consume a higher percentage of carbs yet tend not be as obese as Western populations. Layne is not sure why the study authors brought this up as it destroys their model.

Layne also had a lot of complaints about the study author using rodent studies when human randomized and controlled studies were available, and using doubled labeled water when metabolic chamber measurements were available in the same study - doubled labeled water has been demonstrated to overestimate energy expenditure in low carb studies.

In the description of the video he posts links to dozens of studies that refute the claims made by this paper.
  • heybales
    Options
    lulehlu wrote: »
    Where does the fat come from? Is the supposition that the body is converting other macros to fat?

What's the fat being referenced to?
    Since there are a few references being made in many comments.

You overeat more than you burn, yes carbs will be converted to fat, even unneeded protein converted to carbs and if still unneeded to fat.
  • lulehlu
    lulehlu Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »

You overeat more than you burn, yes carbs will be converted to fat, even unneeded protein converted to carbs and if still unneeded to fat.

The fat causing obesity which is supposedly stored from too many carbs rather than too many calories.

• heybales
    Options
    heybales wrote: »

The fat causing obesity which is supposedly stored from too many carbs rather than too many calories.

Fat isn't stored from too many calories - calories is a unit of measure.
    It's not a matter of carbs rather than calories.

It is stored from more calories than you eat - from whatever macros that is providing those extra calories.
    Fat stored easiest, carbs next after their primary storage liver/muscles and then converted, protein next after their primary usage and if not needed converted to carbs and if not needed converted and stored to fat.