I'd like to start an Anti-inflammatory diet in my lifestyle

Options
Hello everyone, totally new here, but I have psoriasis on my scalp and a bit on my face and apparently, the anti-inflammatory diet supposedly works so I wouldn't mind doing it. Not just for psoriasis, but to prevent diseases in the future since I used to eat a lot of junk like pizza, hamburgers, etc... I was wondering what foods should I consume on the daily to help fit my needs. Maybe a list would help? Thanks.

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,889 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Please do your due diligence. There is no evidence that one exists, at all.

As mentioned above, weight loss is what improves and moves markers in the right direction.

https://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5793290/
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    @MikePfirrman: do you have experience with anti-inflammatory diets?
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I have psoriasis on my scalp as well, but over time I have found most of all that flare-ups are related to weather and hormones and not specifically what I eat or don't eat. I don't think there's any harm in experimenting with food to see, but it might not give you the results you want in that department.

Mine is controlled best with medicated shampoo.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, totally new here, but I have psoriasis on my scalp and a bit on my face and apparently, the anti-inflammatory diet supposedly works so I wouldn't mind doing it. Not just for psoriasis, but to prevent diseases in the future since I used to eat a lot of junk like pizza, hamburgers, etc... I was wondering what foods should I consume on the daily to help fit my needs. Maybe a list would help? Thanks.

It might potentially be worth trying an elimination diet and testing various common allergens (with current labeling guidelines in the US, they'll be listed separately in addition to the ingredient list and/or bolded in the ingredient list). Food allergies, sensitivities vary from person to person. (wheat gluten would be the one possibility in the few items you listed above -but would only be the cause of inflammation if you are sensitive to it).
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,592 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I don't think it would hurt to try. Weight loss definitely didn't help my psoriasis/eczema/whatever that I've had for the past 30 plus years and I'm pretty sure unmasked my ulcerative colitis. An inflammatory disease. And I'm not the healthiest of eaters.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I have psoriasis on my scalp as well, but over time I have found most of all that flare-ups are related to weather and hormones and not specifically what I eat or don't eat. I don't think there's any harm in experimenting with food to see, but it might not give you the results you want in that department.

My wife is dealing with the same thing. We found that using a tea tree shampoo and body wash has helped. We have done elimination diets without success.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,592 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

My wife is dealing with the same thing. We found that using a tea tree shampoo and body wash has helped. We have done elimination diets without success.

What body wash? I have a prescription spray I use that would probably keep working if I used it consistently. :)
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    I’ve never had psoriasis, but I’ve had many inflammatory problems—like fibromyalgia. Eating in an anti-inflammatory way has helped me tremendously. Covid lockdown makes it harder to eat that way, and I’m feeling the effects. Do a little research, try it, and I wish you the best of luck! Hope it helps you too.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I recently discovered I am lactose intolerant. Would seem obvious maybe but I was not sure what was causing digestive issues. I took a food sensitivity test but there are elimination diets that you take things that could be the culprit out of your diet and gradually add them back. I don't know about psoriasis or inflammation diets. I feel sooo much better now.

If you want support I would try to find a group on inflammation and diet. I hate telling people to google but that may be a way to find one. I belong to keto groups here, Facebook and reddit. It can be confusing when people disagree.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    lorib642 wrote: »
    I recently discovered I am lactose intolerant. Would seem obvious maybe but I was not sure what was causing digestive issues. I took a food sensitivity test but there are elimination diets that you take things that could be the culprit out of your diet and gradually add them back. I don't know about psoriasis or inflammation diets. I feel sooo much better now

Yes!. Certain things are so prevalent in our diet that, even if the most acute reactions come immediately after eating, you wouldn't know what the culprit is without making a dietary change.

I wasn't even testing for a wheat issue...I was testing for a glycemic one.. Turned out that a bit of wheat pasta (mixed with other things lowering the meal index) made me react, while loads of creme brulee (yes.i was bad. I used to make creme brulee in bulk frequently for dinner parties... And gave in big time to temptation) affected me not one iota. Lightbulb moment.

Side note on the above...a generic "anti-inflammatory" diet would probably nix both and loads more stuff. Unnecessarily as it turns out in most cases. (But a strict diet to see if this (or possibly other issues) improves, followed by slowly adding stuff back in could be a good approach to identify any potential issues).
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »

What body wash? I have a prescription spray I use that would probably keep working if I used it consistently. :)

Love beauty and planet tea tree body wash.