bread is my enemy

Options
What are your opinions on low carb diets?

Replies

• beth2662
    beth2662 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
  • Skinnier_Me
    Skinnier_Me Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I've tried the low carb diet last year and lost about 15 pounds so I would recommend it.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options
    When I got to the gym last night for my first session with a trainer in my LIFE, he said I should use the percentages of 40% of calories from Protein, 40% Carbs and 20% Fat. which makes me very happy! Because I'm always having trouble getting enough calories without going way over in Protein on the recommended percentages in my goals here.(I've been using the defaults since Aug 22.) I have been able to lose weight, but he says now that I've added weights and strength training that I need to change it to be able to build muscle. Yay! .....It was really fun, by the way!

cm
  • cltimes2
    Options
    Hi CM - that's the percentage breakdown I use. I don't feel hungry and not having trouble with the balance.
  • denmother46
    denmother46 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Can someone tell me how to change the percentages to 40% Protein, 40% Carbs, 20% Fat. I've gone through all the settings and cant figure it out.
    Thanks
  • sanlin20
    sanlin20 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    You change that in My Home > Goals > change goals > custom. Keep in mind that Protein/Carbs/Fat = 40/40/20 is a very protein intensive diet. I believe MFP's recommended numbers are 15/55/30. For my case, I use the ratio 25/45/30. Even to meet that, I have to eat so much protein (KFC, canned tuna, etc.)
  • denmother46
    denmother46 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Salin20,
    Thanks for the info. I may use your numbers, but will check with trainer. As someone else noted above- I am doing weightlifting/strength training and have been told by everyone I know that their trainers recommend upping protein when doing so.

I dont eat any fastfood and very little processed (canned) foods, (too much sodium - my husband has high blood pressure) but still am going over in protein per MFP numbers. I am trying to increase carbs (not into Atkins/low carb thing) by eating lots of fruit/veg and even whole wheat pasta, but cant hit the carb numbers - too high!!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options
    As far as 40% Protein, 40% Carbs, and 20% Fat being "a lot of protein" - I get very few of my protein grams from meat. I do eat alot of vegetable protein, though, and I have begun taking supplements because of the drastic cut-back in calories I've had to implement. (1200 + for exercise). Just can't possibly get enough nutrients.

Soy milk and Edamame, nuts, nonfat dairy like yogurt all add to my protein - no room for cheese except some low fat string cheese. Several vegetables have respectable amounts of protein. I was eating it anyway [protein] -so now it's "Legal" !

I'm giving the 40/40/20% six weeks; just as I did the 15/55/30% -the default on MFP. Each to his / her own way :-)

~cmriverside
  • sanlin20
    sanlin20 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hi CM:
    Here is an article from Harvard that says a high-protein diet is effective as a short-term diet (a few weeks), but can cause bone loss in the long run.
    http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/protein.html

This article from Michigan provides some useful info:
    http://www.mckinley.uiuc.edu/Handouts/macronutrients.htm

My take on all these is that as long as you know what you are doing, or are guided by a professional, you should be fine.

Please take care.
  • bigdane321
    bigdane321 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Bread is not the enemy. Carbs are in so many things. For me it's not about avoiding carbs it's about limiting the heavy carbs. So I only eat bread on special occasions or a cheat meal here and there. Moderation is still the best way to go.
  • msabby8562
    Options
    under my home go to goals and then hit customize
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    Thank you for that recommendation. I'm new here, but not new to low carb.
    I changed my goal settings to 40-40-20, but I don't see how to keep the fat levels that low when eating that much protein. Cheese is going to be a big problem for me.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I cant live without bread, so I found healthier choices!

I eat 1 slice of whole wheat or whole grain rye bread for a sandwich.
    Or Pepperridge Farms has Litestyle Oatmeal and 7 Grain. I love them and I can have my sandwich with only 70 cals from bread.

I use Hummus now instead of mayo. So many changes!

:flowerforyou:

Oh and I never worry about my protein! I am always over and this seems to work for me!
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options

Most of the people I know who have gone on them lose weight. But gain it back when they go off the diet because it's not something they can stay on. They miss to many foods like breads, pastas.
    I think unless your dr has prescribed a low carb I would not do one. Learn portion control and moderation. And exercise because even if your aren't trying to lose weight exercise is still good for you.