Starvation mode ?

Options
I get what it is and why it happens...but how quickly does it happen? Does it kick in fairly quickly if you don't get enough calories one day or after several days?

Replies

• rachelleahsmom
    rachelleahsmom Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I don't think it kicks in too quickly. Also, the more "reserves" a person has, the less soon it will happen.
  • TooFatToFit
    TooFatToFit Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Oh, then I should be able to go a loooooooong time without worrying about that! lol Reserves, I have those!
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    LOL, me too. Lots of reserves.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    It's a gradual process. It isn't easy to recover from either.
  • bookworm03
    bookworm03 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I read an article a few months ago that said about 3 months. No idea of its actually accurate, I can't remember the source.
  • LycosNyctereutes
    Options
    Check out this article: http://caloriecount.about.com/truth-starvation-mode-ft28742

It explains starvation using a couple of legit studies and explains the truths behind some common misconceptions.
  • Sararainmaker
    Sararainmaker Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    From what I have read in the past:

About three days to a week of continual severe calorie deficiencies will trigger a famine response (or starvation mode) in your body. You should know if are about to enter starvation mode when you cease being hungry at all, because that is your body recognizing that there is no food to be eaten, and beginning it's metabolic slowing. This could slow down the metabolic rate up to 40%.

I should also mention that while starving, your body will start to use it's own resources for sustenance, however, it is physically impossible to continually be severely calorie deficient and gain weight. The weight gain happens when someone enters and exits starvation mode many times, triggering their body to store as much as it possibly can during the binge periods to replace your own materials that your body used while starving, while never really gaining back their original metabolic rate.

The best thing, and the healthiest thing to do is to do your best to eat regularly and as close you your goals as you can... however don't panic if one day you can't get enough... just don't go days without eating or eating very little! :)
  • TooFatToFit
    TooFatToFit Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the links and other information. I understand it much better now.