What's a good consequence for cheating ?

Options
Hello, I am a week old and I am very much enjoying MFP. My question is- I have a strict meal plan that I follow- what is a good consequence be for me when I fall off the wagon? Example: Today I went on a brisk walk for an hour and then came home and instead of eating a decent breakfast I ate 2 sweet and salty granola bars and 5 poptarts. I am totally depressed now (sugar depression). Luckily the poptarts are gone (my mom brought them when visiting).

Replies

• sandhillcrane
    Options
    I add some extra exercise if I ate something bad. Works for me;))
  • nani726
    nani726 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    nothing! dont deprive yourself of things you like, once in a while is totally ok! enjoy and start over tomorrow :)
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I just hold my self personally responsible, and move on to the next day. If you feel the need to punish yourself, I suggest getting a hair shirt.
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I don't really think you should punish yourself for cheating. Just move on. If you feel you need to, work it off.
  • mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    the consequence is no weight loss. plan your meals ahead of time so you know exactly what you are going to eat. drink a glass of water after you exercise instead of eating right away. when you jump off the wagon, get right back on. you can do this!
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Consequences..... get back on track tomorrow and work especially hard on exercise for a couple of days. Don't beat yourself up, we all slip ..... but 5 poptarts??? :laugh: :laugh: Been there, ALMOST done that!
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    Absolution for 2 granola bars and 5 poptarts is 20 pushups, 12 full-on planks for 1 min each, and 25 chair dips. :)

Seriously, just ask yourself: Were the pop tarts worth it?
    Remember that feeling for the next time so you won't be quite so tempted.
    Then go to bed and start over tomorrow.
  • livinghcglacey
    Options
    i don't know that there is any worse consequence than the weight you gain and the health you jepordize when you eat wrong.... just try to keep that in mind when you pick up an unhealthy choice of food!
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    The way you feel right now is your consequence. Don't beat yourself up, but remember how awful you feel, physically and emotionally. Live and learn. Just whatever you do, do not consider it an excuse to destroy your entire day. It's a slip. It probably won't be the last. Move on.
  • Seesha
    Options
    I find that if I make myself follow a strict diet then I'm just setting my self up for failure. It has to be a life long change if you want to lose weight and keep it off. I don't go crazy and eat unhealthy daily, however I know I'm not going to be able to live off lettuce and chicken for the rest of my life. If I have something that is high in calories I just make sure I burn off however many calories I consumed, mind you I don't make it a daily thing? Wish you well in your journey :)
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    First, you need to have a heart to heart talk with mom about not sabotaging your efforts. Five Pop-Tarts is hard to overcome in one day - I would do your best to eat healthy the rest of the day, get in a little more exercise if you can, and start with a clean slate tomorrow.

Guilt feelings are not going to have a positive effect in any case. One day here or there is not going to defeat you. The important thing is to get back on track as soon as possible.
  • nani726
    nani726 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    oooooooo become a hair cutter, give yourself a mullet, that'd teach ya! lol jk

btw, bill, love the new pic!! but wheres the stroller? home? or is it going down a hill and you're chasing it?
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    you already had your consequence: you said you were depressed.

However, I don't think negative reinforcement is effective with regard to a healthy lifestyle . . . or anything for that matter.

If you want to be healthy you need to have a healthy mindset, and that includes realizing that eating is not to be associated with punishment. We have to eat, and we are entitled to eat things that we like.

I eat WHATEVER I want, and I never, ever feel guilty. Neither should you.

edit: that being said, poptarts are cardboard with melted crayons on top. gross. I would also bet that they contain partially hydrogenated oil. You might want to skip those on the next shopping trip. A homemade brownie would have been a lot more delicious.

blessings.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Not losing weight is the consequence if you do it too often!

I think it might be more constructive to start trying to work out why this happenned, and some strategies to stop it happening again.
    - Maybe you need to eat before you walk so you aren't starving when you come back.
    - Or have the healthy brekky on the bench ready to eat so you aren't distracted by the unhealthy options.
    - Or get those unhealthy choices out of your house. If they are there for someone else in the house, tell them to eat them before they bring them home. That stuff isn't essential food for anyone!

I think I have finally realised that not eating enough in the morning leaves me hungry and more likely to eat rubbish later in the day. Having a bigger breakfast and a morning snack seems to mean that I have much more "willpower" in the afternoon.
    Of course, this might just be me, but you need to do some work to find out what is best for you.
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    weigh yourself in the morning. :-)

Be good to your self the rest of the week and work on the improvements. Keep the big picture.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I agree that you are already suffering.... toss the crap food! Do not keep it in the house!! Start a new day tomorrow.
  • sandhillcrane
    Options
    that's a good one! If ya lived near me, you'd fit in!!
  • LycosNyctereutes
    Options
    I do not suggest using exercise or food deprivation as a punishment, that will just set you up for failure. IF you have an exercise that you love to do, like Zumba or something on the wii, use that for "punishment" to get an extra workout in, but don't do anything that will make you dislike exercise (especially if you already don't like it)!

Like others have said, your guilty feelings and any stall in weight loss are consequence enough.
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    weigh yourself in the morning. :-)

Be good to your self the rest of the week and work on the improvements. Keep the big picture.

Love the "Keep the big picture" A good rule to live by. Thanks!!
  • moonflower09
    moonflower09 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I also think it is a good learning op. I just would ask myself what I would do differently. I know for me I cant make it work unless I plan my meals the day before. From the time I wake up I am on auto-pilot. I know what I am eating and when.