Oligofructose, yay or nay?

Options
Lietchi
Lietchi Posts: 6,167 Member
So I've been traveling abroad these past weeks and not eating my usual foods.
I've been having crunchy muesli for breakfast and I noticed the fibre count was ridiculously high, more than 20gr/100gr. Looking at the ingredients, I noticed the fibre was from oligofructose.

Some quick googling gave me very different info, from 'oligofructose is great, it's a prebiotic' over 'it's synthetic fibre, not the same health benefits as natural fibre' to 'it's like eating wood pulp, it'll give you a leaky gut'.

I was wondering if people here might have a better idea on what I should believe: better knowledge of the actual research and/or personal experiences?

Aside from how (un)healthy this ingredient is, I will just say I'm... blown away by the gassiness that ensues after eating this muesli! So glad I'm hiking here and not spending prolonged periods in confined spaces 😳

Replies

• GigiAgape1981
    GigiAgape1981 Posts: 64 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    I've been having crunchy muesli for breakfast and I noticed the fibre count was ridiculously high, more than 20gr/100gr. Looking at the ingredients, I noticed the fibre was from oligofructose.

Some quick googling gave me very different info, from 'oligofructose is great, it's a prebiotic' over 'it's synthetic fibre, not the same health benefits as natural fibre' to 'it's like eating wood pulp, it'll give you a leaky gut'.

I was wondering if people here might have a better idea on what I should believe: better knowledge of the actual research and/or personal experiences?

Aside from how (un)healthy this ingredient is, I will just say I'm... blown away by the gassiness that ensues after eating this muesli! So glad I'm hiking here and not spending prolonged periods in confined spaces 😳

I noticed pronounced gassiness when trying protein bars that contain it. I have the same reaction (maybe even worse) to chicory root fiber (inulin). On a recent flight I got a Kind bar as a snack. Oh my goodness, I am so glad it was a short flight...I dealt with bloating and gassiness for hours after consuming it. Many people have no issues with these fibers. I am not one of them. Hugs!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options

I noticed pronounced gassiness when trying protein bars that contain it. I have the same reaction (maybe even worse) to chicory root fiber (inulin). On a recent flight I got a Kind bar as a snack. Oh my goodness, I am so glad it was a short flight...I dealt with bloating and gassiness for hours after consuming it. Many people have no issues with these fibers. I am not one of them. Hugs!

Idle curiosity - do you happen to know how many grams of inulin it had? Or the variety of the Kind bar?

My Almond Amaretto Teeccino (an herbal coffee substitute) has 650 g and I have no issues with it, so am curious if the Kind bars have a lot more or if my stomach just processes it differently than yours.

I've had a variety of Kind bars over the years with no issues, so I'm guessing the later, but I haven't had any in, oh, at least a year, so they could have also changed their formula.
  • GigiAgape1981
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Idle curiosity - do you happen to know how many grams of inulin it had? Or the variety of the Kind bar?

My Almond Amaretto Teeccino (an herbal coffee substitute) has 650 g and I have no issues with it, so am curious if the Kind bars have a lot more or if my stomach just processes it differently than yours.

I've had a variety of Kind bars over the years with no issues, so I'm guessing the later, but I haven't had any in, oh, at least a year, so they could have also changed their formula.

It was Dark Chocolate Nuts and Sea Salt. Nutrition facts says 7 g fiber. Some of the fiber is from nuts but chicory root is # 3 ingredient.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options

Did you maybe mean 650 mg? Is that per brewed cup, or per the solids in the leaves/powder/etc.?

I think the issue here is 20 g of soluble fiber per 100 mg -- even if OP is consuming a more "standard" serving of muesli in the 30 to 50 g, that would be roughly six to 10 g of soluble fiber, which is more than you get from "standard" servings of whole foods that are considered relatively good sources of soluble fiber.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,167 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    IMU, which is inexpert, gassiness can be a sign of gut microbiome adaptation, i.e., a temporary or transitional thing. (Not suggesting gassiness from a food(s) is *always* temporary, either - obviously, if one is sensitive/allergic to a food and the symptom is gassiness, that won't be temporary.)

Probiotics are the gut bugs, basically. Prebiotics are the things the gut bugs like to eat. If there's a mismatch between our specific bugs and the food we send them, oddities can happen digestively, until the microbiome population diversity adapts to match up with what we're feeding it: That's my simplistic understanding.

I've called this gut bugs micro-tooting, sometimes in the past . . . maybe close enough.

Whether oligofructose or other oligosaccharides are good, bad, or neutral, I have no idea. Simply suggesting symptoms after eating them might not be a sign of general badness, but perhaps adaptation in process.

Yes, I did wonder if it was a matter of habit. I've heard the same of (naturally occurring, in Jerusalem artichokes for example) inuline, that it takes the gut time to adapt. I'm just not sure how long that takes, a full week seems quite long already for no change in the gassiness.

Did you maybe mean 650 mg? Is that per brewed cup, or per the solids in the leaves/powder/etc.?

I think the issue here is 20 g of soluble fiber per 100 mg -- even if OP is consuming a more "standard" serving of muesli in the 30 to 50 g, that would be roughly six to 10 g of soluble fiber, which is more than you get from "standard" servings of whole foods that are considered relatively good sources of soluble fiber.

Good point with regard to the portion size. I will say I don't agree with the standard serving sizes for muesli (which is why I don't ordinarily don't have muesli, since the portions I like don't fit into my calories!). I've been eating 70-90 grams of the stuff each day, that's a lot of fiber for my gut to handle!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,406 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    IMU, which is inexpert, gassiness can be a sign of gut microbiome adaptation, i.e., a temporary or transitional thing. (Not suggesting gassiness from a food(s) is *always* temporary, either - obviously, if one is sensitive/allergic to a food and the symptom is gassiness, that won't be temporary.)

Probiotics are the gut bugs, basically. Prebiotics are the things the gut bugs like to eat. If there's a mismatch between our specific bugs and the food we send them, oddities can happen digestively, until the microbiome population diversity adapts to match up with what we're feeding it: That's my simplistic understanding.

I've called this gut bugs micro-tooting, sometimes in the past . . . maybe close enough.

Whether oligofructose or other oligosaccharides are good, bad, or neutral, I have no idea. Simply suggesting symptoms after eating them might not be a sign of general badness, but perhaps adaptation in process.

Yes, I did wonder if it was a matter of habit. I've heard the same of (naturally occurring, in Jerusalem artichokes for example) inuline, that it takes the gut time to adapt. I'm just not sure how long that takes, a full week seems quite long already for no change in the gassiness.

(snip)
    Don't know about this particular adaptation, but I read a small study sometime back that was a crossover diet change, long term vegetarians switching to eat meat, long term omnivores switching to vegetarian, looking at gut microbiome adaptation

From memory, IIRC, meaningful adaptation was happening by around 2 weeks, which was faster than the researchers had anticipated.
  • kshama2001
    Options

Oops, *mg,* yes.

I assume per serving means just that which is consumed.

https://www.iherb.com/pr/teeccino-chicory-herbal-coffee-almond-amaretto-medium-roast-caffeine-free-11-oz-312-g/21370
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options

Oops, *mg,* yes.

https://www.iherb.com/pr/teeccino-chicory-herbal-coffee-almond-amaretto-medium-roast-caffeine-free-11-oz-312-g/21370

Oh, that's nice. I drink teecino (in other flavors -- chocolate and hazelnut), but I've only ever seen them in teabags. That looks like loose leaf? It's silly, I suppose, but I always feel like I'm having a special treat when I brew tea or "herbal teas" from loose leaf.
  • jazzadesigns
    jazzadesigns Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    @GigiAgape1981 I have had trouble with fibers for years. Chickory root fiber is one that really bothers me too. I have never noticed oligofructose in anything I ate, but sugar alcohols now bother my stomach also.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    @GigiAgape1981 I have had trouble with fibers for years. Chickory root fiber is one that really bothers me too. I have never noticed oligofructose in anything I ate, but sugar alcohols now bother my stomach also.

Same here! I always wondered why my stomach would hurt after eating Fiber One bars. Sugar alcohols are no bueno for me, either. I thought I was getting a "better" coffee syrup that had stevia, but it also contained erythritol and it tore my stomach up! If I eat sugar, honey, agave syrup etc., no such problem. Stevia by itself doesn't seem to do it to me, though
  • kshama2001
    Options

Oops, *mg,* yes.

Oh, that's nice. I drink teecino (in other flavors -- chocolate and hazelnut), but I've only ever seen them in teabags. That looks like loose leaf? It's silly, I suppose, but I always feel like I'm having a special treat when I brew tea or "herbal teas" from loose leaf.

My link was to an herbal coffee meant to be brewed like coffee. They also have teas. Looks like the exact same thing in a tea bag :smiley:

31 servings for coffee: https://teeccino.com/products/almond-amaretto-herbal-coffee?variant=39977286336681
    Ingredients: Roasted organic carob, organic barley, organic chicory, dates, almonds, natural amaretto flavor*, organic figs. Contains: Almonds. *All Teeccino flavors are extracted from plants and comply with organic standards.

25 servings for tea: https://teeccino.com/products/almond-amaretto-herbal-tea?variant=39688606187689
    Ingredients: Roasted organic carob, organic barley, organic chicory, dates, almonds, natural amaretto flavor* , organic figs. Contains: Almonds. *All Teeccino flavors are extracted from plants and comply with organic standards.

I rarely buy from teeccino.com as the threshold for free shipping is very high and prices are better elsewhere. However, at one point, and maybe still, it was the only place that sold the Chocolate Raspberry, my favorite flavor. But now Amazon carries Raspberry Mocha, which works for me, hooray!

https://smile.amazon.com/Teeccino-Raspberry-Alternative-Substitute-Prebiotic/dp/B074TSYT5K/ref=sxts_rp_s1_0

I have a three pack of the Almond Amaretto on Subscribe & Save:

https://smile.amazon.com/Teeccino-Amaretto-Alternative-Substitute-Prebiotic/dp/B00DPEE0LS/ref=sr_1_6?
  • lynn_glenmont
    edited September 2021
    Options

Oops, *mg,* yes.

My link was to an herbal coffee meant to be brewed like coffee. They also have teas. Looks like the exact same thing in a tea bag :smiley:

31 servings for coffee: https://teeccino.com/products/almond-amaretto-herbal-coffee?variant=39977286336681
    Ingredients: Roasted organic carob, organic barley, organic chicory, dates, almonds, natural amaretto flavor*, organic figs. Contains: Almonds. *All Teeccino flavors are extracted from plants and comply with organic standards.

25 servings for tea: https://teeccino.com/products/almond-amaretto-herbal-tea?variant=39688606187689
    Ingredients: Roasted organic carob, organic barley, organic chicory, dates, almonds, natural amaretto flavor* , organic figs. Contains: Almonds. *All Teeccino flavors are extracted from plants and comply with organic standards.

I rarely buy from teeccino.com as the threshold for free shipping is very high and prices are better elsewhere. However, at one point, and maybe still, it was the only place that sold the Chocolate Raspberry, my favorite flavor. But now Amazon carries Raspberry Mocha, which works for me, hooray!

https://smile.amazon.com/Teeccino-Raspberry-Alternative-Substitute-Prebiotic/dp/B074TSYT5K/ref=sxts_rp_s1_0

I have a three pack of the Almond Amaretto on Subscribe & Save:

https://smile.amazon.com/Teeccino-Amaretto-Alternative-Substitute-Prebiotic/dp/B00DPEE0LS/ref=sr_1_6?

Sorry -- I'm not understanding. The ingredients for the "coffee" and the "tea" are the same. Is the "coffee" in a form that mimics coffee grounds (and can be used in drip machine, french press, or other coffee maker) or instant coffee?

ETA: the packaging for the hazelnut and maca chocolate flavors that I have at home, which are packaged in "tea bag" form, says that it's "the tea that tastes like coffee."

EATA: Never mind. Apparently I just blew right past your first sentence. Thanks. That sounds interesting. I'll have to look for that.

I've used coarsely ground chocolate nibs called Crio Bru in my french press, usually combined with coffee, and it's very tasty.
  • GigiAgape1981
    edited September 2021
    Options

Same here! I always wondered why my stomach would hurt after eating Fiber One bars. Sugar alcohols are no bueno for me, either. I thought I was getting a "better" coffee syrup that had stevia, but it also contained erythritol and it tore my stomach up! If I eat sugar, honey, agave syrup etc., no such problem. Stevia by itself doesn't seem to do it to me, though

I tolerate some sugar alcohols much better than others. Maltitol, Sorbitol, Xylitol bother me more than Erythritol. In moderation it seems to be ok.