Fibromyalgia, exercise and weight loss

Options
Hello — I am back to MFP after a few years of not logging. Not surprisingly I gained back the weight I had lost and am in not great health. I have fibromyalgia and Epstein Barr, along with some pre-diabetes numbers that aren’t great. Was wondering if exercise is a challenge for others with Fibromyalgia. My mind is willing but the body is not. I will take a class, do a workout, etc and then spend 2-3 days in pain and with tremendous fatigue. Looking for others to talk to with similar chronic illnesses.

Replies

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have the same experience. It helps me to start easy and add to it. I wore a pedometer and kept very good records for several years, adding a few steps at a time.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options
    Hello — I am back to MFP after a few years of not logging. Not surprisingly I gained back the weight I had lost and am in not great health. I have fibromyalgia and Epstein Barr, along with some pre-diabetes numbers that aren’t great. Was wondering if exercise is a challenge for others with Fibromyalgia. My mind is willing but the body is not. I will take a class, do a workout, etc and then spend 2-3 days in pain and with tremendous fatigue. Looking for others to talk to with similar chronic illnesses.

I have MCS, which has some overlap with FM (and CF.) I used to belong to a discussion board for people with these three conditions. Many with FM said that exercise helped, but it had to be very gentle. Most group classes at gyms are the opposite of gentle. Have you tried things like gentle/beginner yoga or short walks?

When I was first diagnosed I put a great deal of effort into cleaning up my environment and diet, which helped quite a bit. Do give Mike's post above a careful read. Oh, if you want to PM him, send him a friend request first - I've heard about messages never being received unless the parties are "friends."
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Evidence suggests that resistance training with proper load management is key to lowering the symtoms of chronic pain.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30657077/

I would think going to a "class" that ignores load management for fibro isn't the best idea.

Personally and for those I train with chronic pain diseases the method I have great success with is involving auto regulation for load management. We have to pay closer attention to all the variables of stressors (e.g., volume, intensity, lift selection, frequency, etc...).

I assure you that resistance training is extremely helpful controlling the symtoms with a careful eye while improving the quality of life.
  • Ladyovthelakes
    Ladyovthelakes Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I have one thing to say… keto diet.

Reversed my Diabetes gives me loads more energy and the weight drops off no exercise
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I have MCS, which has some overlap with FM (and CF.) I used to belong to a discussion board for people with these three conditions. Many with FM said that exercise helped, but it had to be very gentle. Most group classes at gyms are the opposite of gentle. Have you tried things like gentle/beginner yoga or short walks?

When I was first diagnosed I put a great deal of effort into cleaning up my environment and diet, which helped quite a bit. Do give Mike's post above a careful read. Oh, if you want to PM him, send him a friend request first - I've heard about messages never being received unless the parties are "friends."

I didn't mention that but yes, most with Fibro also have MCS (Multiple Chemical Sensitivity), even if they don't know it. My wife owned a cleaning business (years ago, long before she had Fibro) and started having huge issues with it after just like 6 months. She would literally have to pull over and vomit. Air fresheners, perfumes, even laundry scents are all out now. She really, really has to be careful with makeup and face care. It's incredible how many things affect her. So I should say, she's not completely 100% (though most days it's not an issue), because if we went back to the behaviors that made her so sick, she could revert any time. We have to stay mindful of that. Just recently, we had to stop her from drinking Nespresso. My son bought her one but nearly all of their pods aren't organic. Coffee has a ton of chemicals used in processing. Organic still has some but less. She's back to Organic Coffee again. It's actually cheaper than the Nespresso. I guess I'm saying it takes a huge amount of vigilance and consistency, but the rewards can be amazing.

As to exercise. It's a struggle still. My wife felt so good for a while she went back to six days a week. What we learned was 3 or 4 was fine, but your body, with Fibro, needs more time to recover than most.

She does use a supplement called D-Ribose, which she does feel helps. It's supposed to help you recover faster. For her, that's critical. But none of her exercise involves pounding. Pilates, Barre, Stationary Bike, Elliptical, outdoor swimming (indoor is bad with the MCS -- we have a pool and I limit the chlorine). Oh, she's having another health issue now that's driving her crazy. She has a disc in her back that might need minor surgery next year. She's doing a vibration plate a lot more. She's 60, so it's just one of those things that have caught up with her -- her form bending over is terrible. Vibration plates don't sound like much (and you're not going to burn serious calories from them) but they help with inflammation and you do burn some. My son, a bodybuilder, former soccer player and wrestler, made fun of it the X-mas I got it -- until he stood on it for 10 minutes. Now, when he visits us, he even gets on it.

There is so much more to it, but if you want to talk, feel free. I certainly don't have all the answers, but there are some great docs and resources that took me a long time to find that helped us tremendously.

What @Chieflrg said about lifting. So important. What you can. My wife had a Fibro support group that, until she shut it down, was up to 3K members. I was her researcher. So, so many women have joint issues with Fibro. IMHO, there's something in Lyrica and Cymbalta that destroys/dissolves joints. I think, in the future, there will be a huge class action lawsuit related to that. Hip, knee replacements in the 30s and 40s. Whether it's the drug or the lack of lifting and movement, something is going seriously wrong. Lifting is so important, but you have to know your limits and just do what you can.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I didn't mention that but yes, most with Fibro also have MCS (Multiple Chemical Sensitivity), even if they don't know it. My wife owned a cleaning business (years ago, long before she had Fibro) and started having huge issues with it after just like 6 months. She would literally have to pull over and vomit. Air fresheners, perfumes, even laundry scents are all out now. She really, really has to be careful with makeup and face care. It's incredible how many things affect her. So I should say, she's not completely 100% (though most days it's not an issue), because if we went back to the behaviors that made her so sick, she could revert any time. We have to stay mindful of that. Just recently, we had to stop her from drinking Nespresso. My son bought her one but nearly all of their pods aren't organic. Coffee has a ton of chemicals used in processing. Organic still has some but less. She's back to Organic Coffee again. It's actually cheaper than the Nespresso. I guess I'm saying it takes a huge amount of vigilance and consistency, but the rewards can be amazing.

[snip]

I am MUCH better than I was 20 years ago, but air fresheners, perfumes, and artificially scented laundry/dish detergents are still not an option for me. Fortunately, all the major laundry detergent brands have fragrance-free option now. For dish detergent, I can use naturally scented brands like Seventh Generation. (This is not true for everyone with MCS.) I used to get headaches walking down the laundry aisle in supermarkets.

I CAN'T WAIT until we move this fall - at the new place there aren't neighbors close enough to plague me with their fabric softener. YUCK. I hate it when I had planned to garden or want to have my windows open and can't because of a neighbor's fabric softener.

Needless to say, I don't use regular fabric softener myself, but apple cider vinegar in the wash acts as a natural softener. (I don't bother with this on a regular basis. I will use it on new clothes to help them off-gas faster.) The clothes will smell like vinegar when wet, but this goes away as they dry. I use the big cheap gallon jugs of ACV for cleaning tasks like this and Bragg's for cooking.

I too am very careful with personal care products. I like bareMinerals for makeup and Acure Organics for shampoo and conditioner, which I also use for body wash and shaving cream. I've found a wide variety of personal care products without artificial fragrance on iherb.com. (Also Whole Foods, but iherb is generally cheaper and more convenient. Alas, Whole Foods products cannot be assumed to contain no artificial fragrance. Read labels!)
  • MikePfirrman
    Options
    @kshama2001 -- I can't tell you how familiar all of that is. There's a Lush store at the local mall with a Nektar (juice/coconut ice cream) next to it. My wife loves the bowls at Nektar but can't get close to the store because all the overbearing smells from Lush.
  • brookdalemom
    brookdalemom Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you all - I really do appreciate all the information.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,477 Member
    Options
    She took 5-HTP and other more natural sleep supplements.

This is purely a curiosity question - I read somewhere (don't even ask me where, I really don't remember), that 5-HTP works great for awhile but eventually is no longer effective. How long has she been using it & during that time has she noticed any change in response to it? If it's effectiveness has waned for her over time, has she cycled it at all?

• NerdyScienceGrl
    NerdyScienceGrl Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    While no Fibro, exercise can be challenging due to osteoarthritis that flares easy. In a recent doctors visit, my doctor suggested looking into tai chi as a new addition to my exercise and mindfulness routine. Not a big calorie burner but gentle and possibly a good starting point?
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    I haven’t built up to a full one-hour tai chi class yet. Even though it is gentle, an hour is still a lot of any exercise.
    There is a great class at my gym, great teacher!
  • MikePfirrman
    Options
    JBanx256 wrote: »
    She took 5-HTP and other more natural sleep supplements.

This is purely a curiosity question - I read somewhere (don't even ask me where, I really don't remember), that 5-HTP works great for awhile but eventually is no longer effective. How long has she been using it & during that time has she noticed any change in response to it? If it's effectiveness has waned for her over time, has she cycled it at all?

She cycles off and on a lot of supplements to be honest. That was one thing I was astonished at when we went to a Holistic/Integrative Doc -- the cost. They had her on around $400 a month in supplements. After around a year, we really went through them all to sort the "throw everything against a wall" mentality to more science based. I think we have it down where it's around $75, maybe $80 a month.

Once the pain subsides some, it's been easier for her to sleep at night. Pain and sleep are a viscious cycle that's hard to break. You can't slow down pain without sleep and it's so hard to sleep in massive pain. She actually mosty takes a blend now that (I'm pretty sure) includes 5-HTP but also has Melatonin, Valerian, L-Theanine, and Chamomile. That and a CBD Oil, along with really watching caffeine after noon, has done the trick -- obviously being out of pain helps a ton.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,477 Member
    Options

She cycles off and on a lot of supplements to be honest. That was one thing I was astonished at when we went to a Holistic/Integrative Doc -- the cost. They had her on around $400 a month in supplements. After around a year, we really went through them all to sort the "throw everything against a wall" mentality to more science based. I think we have it down where it's around $75, maybe $80 a month.

Once the pain subsides some, it's been easier for her to sleep at night. Pain and sleep are a viscious cycle that's hard to break. You can't slow down pain without sleep and it's so hard to sleep in massive pain. She actually mosty takes a blend now that (I'm pretty sure) includes 5-HTP but also has Melatonin, Valerian, L-Theanine, and Chamomile. That and a CBD Oil, along with really watching caffeine after noon, has done the trick -- obviously being out of pain helps a ton.

I'm glad she's gotten the pain (and the money, yikes!) under control at least. Thanks for your response!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,660 Member
    Options
    While no Fibro, exercise can be challenging due to osteoarthritis that flares easy. In a recent doctors visit, my doctor suggested looking into tai chi as a new addition to my exercise and mindfulness routine. Not a big calorie burner but gentle and possibly a good starting point?

With the caveat that some tai chi styles involve turning on a weighted leg, which may be contraindicated if someone has certain kinds of joint issues. I did tai chi for a long time (my late husband taught tai chi among other Chinese martial arts), eventually stopped practicing because it was not a thing that worked sustainably for my particular knees. It can be great for many, though - not dissing it as a generality.
  • NerdyScienceGrl
    NerdyScienceGrl Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

With the caveat that some tai chi styles involve turning on a weighted leg, which may be contraindicated if someone has certain kinds of joint issues. I did tai chi for a long time (my late husband taught tai chi among other Chinese martial arts), eventually stopped practicing because it was not a thing that worked sustainably for my particular knees. It can be great for many, though - not dissing it as a generality.

Thanks Ann, that’s good to know! Not having any experience, I only had some of the preliminary reading about its benefits for arthritis sufferers to go off and fibromyalgia had been discussed.
  • clhpoole
    clhpoole Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think I have CFS but don't know how to confirm it or even if that makes any difference. I had it very badly about 25 years ago and progressed to where I could work full time, but I still can't do much activity without an impact. I can walk 2000 steps one day, struggle to do 2000 the next day, and the more days I do this the worse I get. I also have depression and anxiety problems so the doctors easily blame my fatigue on that. I agree that I have those problems, but not that they cause my fatigue. Exercising should make me feel better, not worse. And the more exercise I do the worse I feel. I've been dealing with this for a long time so I've tried many things, including most of what is discussed here. I'm happy to be where I'm at from when this first started, but I still wish I could do better.
    On a good note, I just retired so I hope a new lifestyle will help me. I want to work on dietary changes and losing weight.