Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Research suggests there is more to it than simply CICO for obese people. More study needed.

Options
13»

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I don't get it.
    BEE is 'to keep the lights on' so doesn't include NEAT, so how could a reduction in NEAT explain a lower BEE?
    I mean, I totally get how exercising could lead to a lower NEAT, but that doesn't seem to be what this research is talking about, since they're talking about a lower BEE.

Nothing scientific, just my n=1 experience, but it seems like a miracle I managed to lose weight (and faster than predicted even) eating back all of my exercise calories, considering I started at a BMI of 34. Perhaps more research can determine the how and why of this mechanism so individuals can tailor their weight loss strategy to their situation.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I think he went off study and was explaining other reasons that are also valid for the fact exercise could not have the NET increase to the day one might think.
    And prior study, studies actually I recall others that seemed to confirm the NEAT decrease - then again those always had diet in the mix.

I'd be curious if they measured from the employees for the database some of the common hormones related to fat loss and hunger and such, seems like it would be interesting how those play into it since I'm betting they do.

Since it was a point in time static measurement too - I wonder if they polled people if they were currently losing weight or in the last 6 months had been. For actual research studies on diet, that always seems to be a requirement to be a participant of no diet attempts recently - because they know how it could skew the results.

Like did the higher compensation on higher BMI result from greater % of those folks being in a diet at the time?
    I recall years ago researching why 1 study had huge variances in measured BMR to calculated - they took people in any situation and didn't ask about diet. Another study excluded people on a diet or recently, and got measured within 5% of calculated.

I dug into the NASA employee data study because a lot of fitness related info came from it, I'll have to see if I can find the time for this.

Because of course, the results is only as good as the data - and if they don't check some things, actually leaves you wondering. I'm sure still something there, just to what degree.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Personally it a guessing game with the finer points.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    lorib642 wrote: »
    Knowledge is power. If I know I am not likely to expend as much energy as calculated, I can adjust for that. If I know my weight probably won’t melt off, I can stop comparing myself to others and getting discouraged. I don’t find these studies disheartening.

Same here.
    Knowledge is power. Exactly.
  • MargaretYakoda
    Options
    I don’t have access to the full article. But here’s another one that may be saying something similar.

https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/advance-article-abstract/doi/10.1093/ajcn/nqab270/6369073?redirectedFrom=fulltext
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    That study again starts off with a premise I don't believe is true. And then goes down the same rat hole of foolishness with contradictions against what they are suggesting.

"However, obesity rates remain at historic highs, despite a persistent focus on eating less and moving more, as guided by the energy balance model (EBM). This public health failure may arise from a fundamental limitation of the EBM itself."

I guess these Dr's never were in patient practice to see there is a huge difference between advice given and advice followed. Shoot - and that's a Dr talking straight to a patient.
    Never mind government advice given to the masses.

Now - if people actually followed the advice in general to no effect - then perhaps they have something to talk about.

But then they couldn't create a career for themselves doing research and applying for grants to try to prove a negative.

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    I do believe just saying CICO is oversimplified. Many factors can affect it. That said, if you want to lose fat, it's hard to get around it....
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    I don’t have access to the full article. But here’s another one that may be saying something similar.

That's the same study from your other thread:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10843627/journal-article-root-causes-of-the-obesity-epidemic-are-more-related-to-what-we-eat
  • MargaretYakoda
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10843627/journal-article-root-causes-of-the-obesity-epidemic-are-more-related-to-what-we-eat

Aw kitten.
    I got fooled by the fact it was repackaged and sent back to me in a new link.

Sorry.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options

Aw kitten.

Sorry.

Np. I was confused because I thought that was the thread I was on :lol:
  • MargaretYakoda
    Options

Aw kitten.

Sorry.

Np. I was confused because I thought that was the thread I was on :lol:

I’ve come to the conclusion that there’s a few studies on this. And that the science may or may not be completely settled. (yes, CICO, don’t @ me LOL) but in any case I do enjoy hearing the discussion and viewpoints of the longer term forum members on this issue. And I think I’ll try to remember to post them in this one spot when I run into one.

Or if I forget, maybe the other discussion.
    Point being: I won’t start another discussion. I think keeping the info mostly in one or two discussions would be best in the long run.