Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Research suggests there is more to it than simply CICO for obese people. More study needed.

Options
MargaretYakoda
MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,295 Member
The Guardian story.
Teal Dear: research suggests overweight people do actually have a harder time expending calories especially after exercise.
It is not 100% conclusive. But the participant number seems large enough, and the findings solid enough, to investigate this further.

https://amp.theguardian.com/society/2021/aug/27/losing-weight-through-exercise-may-be-harder-for-obese-people-research-says

And the published study for those who want all the information available.

https://www.cell.com/current-biology/fulltext/S0960-9822(21)01120-9?_returnURL=https://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S0960982221011209?showall=true

Replies

• MargaretYakoda
    Options
    @goal06082021
    No disagreement with that.
    It may just add another factor.

And I want to be clear: I do not believe this means obese people can’t lose weight. My personal experience says morbidly obese people can lose weight. And that restricting calories in a safe and consciousness manner is the way to do it.
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    So CI is < CO. CI is less than CO.
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    Agree with @goal06082021
    That is why we need to measure in a measuring cup of weighin on a scale. That's why also for TDEE I take the less activity level of 1-2 x/week instead of using the 3-5 x/week, even though I'm e deciding my off work days of 3x/week. I'd rather under estimate in that area of less than, than more than. Food wise, if I am out at a restaurant, and can't measure, I would over estimate the food amount I'm eating. It's been working for me so far.
  • MargaretYakoda
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Oh, absolutely. It's always going to be easier to deal with the "CI" half of the equation, since there is no direct way to measure CO - even laboratory-grade heart-rate monitors are still only measuring heart rate, which is like a third-hand approximation of calorie burn. And if an obese person does burn significantly fewer calories than someone else doing the same exercise, the CI piece is going to be even more important. But it still comes down to CI<CO for weight loss - if that's not happening, either CI is too high, CO is too low, or both.

This is a calorie-counting website, so naturally MFP is best utilized as a tool to help you dial in the CI portion of the equation; and furthermore, human beings are just...really incredibly bad at estimating how much they eat. It used to be an adaptation, being able to eat more than we strictly needed at a given time, but it's not anymore now that we have, you know, McDonald's and grocery stores and UberEats. There's science about that, too. A person who is already overweight or obese has a clear and obvious track record of underestimating how much they eat; the way to correct that is to eat less, but you need to know how much you're starting with to make any lasting changes.

Yes. I think this is the key bit for MFP and helping people.

Maybe acknowledge the possibility that yes it might be a bit harder for morbidly obese people. As the article suggests, it might be harder but we don’t yet know for sure, or what the mechanism is. But the solution is not to give up, but to be even more precise with the part we can control.
    Carbs in. And counted as precise as possible by a lay person.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    The study showed clearly an underlying compensatory process which reduced basal energy expenditure in response to total energy expenditure, thereby reducing the deficit that would otherwise be created by exercise

It seems to go without saying that obese people who exercise are going to be more fatigued than fitter, lighter people...I don't know that you can calculate how much/many calories basal rate percentage changes will occur due to fitness levels. I just think it's a lot more complicated.