Quick Question

Options
So the Goals that are set for us on MFP for Sodium and Carbs and we go up to the highest amount that we are allowed is that really a lot of carbs and sodium? For example Sodium for me the highest amount I can have is 2,500 and Carbs I can have 58. Someone messaged me and it really upset me saying my sodium and carb intake was way to much for someone who is trying to lose weight. I mean I went over a little bit on sodium today but I am under on carbs. Yes I know we need to watch that stuff but what is set up on here really going to help me to lose weight? I have lost tons of weight before even if my sodium intake was high. It's really hard to avoid Sodium.....

Replies

• paulaGetshealthy
    Options
    From what I've been told by other MFP users, you should limit your sodium intake to 1500 a day (which I hardly ever do, but...); I guess the MFP setting is set too high.

I always ate close to my carb limit and lost 45 pounds in less than 4 months, so while lower carbs might work for most people, it didn't hinder my ability to lose weight.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Only 58 for carbs sounds really low actually. Sodium is generally a nonfactor with weight loss as long as you properly hydrate yourself, as sodium can cause water retention, but proper hydration will flush excess sodium out.

Keep in mind I'm male, but I lose weight very consistently eating between 150-250 grams of carbs per day.
  • sheenades0804
    sheenades0804 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    in 2005 when I lost a lot of weight I know I ate tons of Sodium and still lost weight. This person isn't on MFP it was on FB that she told me this because MFP auto sends my diary onto there. So she noticed it and told me but she is thinking I am wanting quick results....
  • cacraft
    Options
    I had a look at your diary and noticed that you only ate 2 pieces of fruit today, and the rest was processed food. All that food is loaded with salt and crap you don't want when you're trying to lose weight and get healthy. Maybe try to eat only fresh, home-prepared foods for awhile and see if that makes a difference. It's not just the number of calories you eat - it's what's IN the calories that you eat.

Good luck.
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I struggle to keep my sodium under most days - so just make sure I get my water in. I know it's because I don't eat as many fresh vegies as I should and tend to lean towards processed food a lot of the time. Cheese puts me over as well - but I'm not giving up cheese!!

I've lost fairly consistently when I try to stick to the macros that MFP gives me - the only thing I don't care going over on is protein. Everyone on here says that the protein goal is too low anyway, and I generally go over if I have grilled chicken in two meals of the day. I eat grilled chicken ALL the time!!!
  • sheenades0804
    Options
    I am sad to say but I don't have tons of money so the only types of foods I can really eat are processed foods..
  • pixardad
    pixardad Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I've been to health classes from my insurance provider and for a person trying to lower their blood pressure, Sodium should be 2300 or less. It is very difficult to do though. I don't have high blood pressure, but the more sodium you have, the more water you retain and thus...less weight loss.

I heard somewhere, but have yet to verify it with a medical source, that potassium is good to carry sodium out of the body (aka, bananas). This may just be a fad, but until I can verify it, I don't have a problem eating a banana or two when my sodium is high.

Finally, be sure to read the labels of the food you buy/eat AND WATCH OUT FOR TRICKS! What I mean by this is best illustrated with an example:

At Subway, American cheese is only 40 calories, Swiss is 50...10 calories less for the American. But the American's sodium is 200 and Swiss only 30!!! Lower calories isn't always better. Good luck!

--PixarDad
  • phyletik
    phyletik Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    you dont need much money to eat healthly. i chekck out the 99 cent stores and fine many good healthy choices; yogurt, whole bread, fruit, proteing bars, lunch meat, etc. the big key is discipline and temperance.
  • sheenades0804
    Options
    I noticed that with salad dressings...you may lower your amount for calories but have tons of sodium in it.....
  • phyletik
    phyletik Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    another thing just watch what type of carbs you eat. complex carbs if what you want to eat; oats, nuts, whole grain products; and mix or include protein with that, and fruit for snacks. so dont worry about sodium if you are eating the right stuff.
  • tails86
    Options
    As others said, be sure to keep hydrated with high sodium intake. Water weight is easy to lose, so don't be stressed about that. My concern is that our bodies sometimes trick us into thinking we are hungry when we are really dehydrated. So the more salt you have in your system may lead you to be more hungry and consume more needless calories. That's my stance at least.
  • cacraft
    Options
    I am sad to say but I don't have tons of money so the only types of foods I can really eat are processed foods..

I loaded up on a weeks worth of veggies at the farmers market for two people for under $25! How is that more expensive than processed foods?
  • cacraft
    Options
    I noticed that with salad dressings...you may lower your amount for calories but have tons of sodium in it.....

Squeeze on some fresh lemon juice instead. Cheap. No sodium.