I can't figure out how to loose weight.

Hello everyone.
I need help.
I am a university student. I'm 21 and 5 foot 8 or 7 inches approx. My weight is 75.5 KG and it definitely is too much for me but i cant figure out how to loose it. If you read my routine, you'll realize why I can't. Please help.

I wake up at around 6:45 AM and dont eat breakfast. Only a cup of coffee and then i leave for University. I have a fried vegetable roll (spring roll) in University for some energy. And i leave University at around 3 or 4. I make a quick stop at home for food. I live a Pakistani household (Desi) so our food is usually roti + curry of some sort.
So i eat around 1 to 1.5 rotis since im hungry from no lunch or breakfast.
After then i tutor children from 5 to 9:30. I sometimes get offered a cup of tea but its not regular. When i return home, its qround 10 pm and i eat dinner. Again 1.5 rotis and curry.
And then i do University work or study.
I sleep around 2 am and then wake up again with only 4.5 hours sleep.

As you all can see, no time left to jog or exercise. What do i do, how do i loose weight. I cant even cut out carbs since roti has a lot of it.

Help please i want to be around 68 at least.

Replies

• Turtlemummy
    Turtlemummy Posts: 71 Member
    I think you need to take back a bit of control. Why do you have to eat rotis? If you want to eat with family that's fine, but swap a roti for a small low fat wrap (those I use are 93 kcal). If you have time, make the curry low cal/low fat too. Made in advance it should be possible.
    My family do pizza on a Saturday night. I swap a calorie heavy base for a tortilla wrap or a lo-dough base (39 kcal).
    Same meal, just a different version. Small changes make great results :smile:
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    You want to lose 16 lbs. That is not much and hard to lose without weighing and measuring your food. Since you don't prepare it, you're going to have difficulty. I would suggest that instead of 1.5 roti, you eat 1. Try that for awhile and keep everything else the same. Except, of course, trying to get more sleep. Your tutoring may have to be cut down a bit, if you can manage.

You are not overweight. If you can keep your weight stable, you may have to wait until you graduate and can restructure your working hours to lose those vanity lbs.
  • BigChungus20
    BigChungus20 Posts: 6 Member
    I think you need to take back a bit of control. Why do you have to eat rotis? If you want to eat with family that's fine, but swap a roti for a small low fat wrap (those I use are 93 kcal). If you have time, make the curry low cal/low fat too. Made in advance it should be possible.
    My family do pizza on a Saturday night. I swap a calorie heavy base for a tortilla wrap or a lo-dough base (39 kcal).
    Same meal, just a different version. Small changes make great results :smile:

I don't know if i can swap the rotis. I need something with the curry ofcourse and I'm not sure if i can find a low fat thing locally. If you know any available substitute in the indian culture, please do mention it.
  • BigChungus20
    You want to lose 16 lbs. That is not much and hard to lose without weighing and measuring your food. Since you don't prepare it, you're going to have difficulty. I would suggest that instead of 1.5 roti, you eat 1. Try that for awhile and keep everything else the same. Except, of course, trying to get more sleep. Your tutoring may have to be cut down a bit, if you can manage.

You are not overweight. If you can keep your weight stable, you may have to wait until you graduate and can restructure your working hours to lose those vanity lbs.

I guess i should try eating less overall. Less rotis too.
    I wish i could cut down the tutoring but i need the cash to pay for my university.

I feel overweight. Tummy fat and all. Someone suggested substituting 2 or 3 cucmbers in the place of lunch. Is that a good strategy?
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member

I wish i could cut down the tutoring but i need the cash to pay for my university.

I feel overweight. Tummy fat and all. Someone suggested substituting 2 or 3 cucmbers in the place of lunch. Is that a good strategy?

it wouldnt be very filling or very nutritious.

just try eating less, overall.

everyone has abdominal fat. we HAVE to. otherwise we literally couldnt move or bend.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,113 Member

it wouldnt be very filling or very nutritious.

just try eating less, overall.

everyone has abdominal fat. we HAVE to. otherwise we literally couldnt move or bend.

Is this the part where I get to gush about how important the greater omentum is for supporting the immune system in the abdomen???

WHEE! I LOVE SCIENCE!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_omentum

tl;dr We do need a little bit of fat in the abdomen.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    edited September 2021

You would be an optimal candidate for recomp ( weight lifting to swap muscle for fat, but remain at your current weight), however, with your busy lifestyle you can't fit it in now. I agree that trying to eat some protein will help your situation. I don't know what to suggest because I am not familiar with your culture ( I live in Italy, and we are on the Med diet). You will have to research that yourself. Even at 21 yrs of age, you risk burnout with lack of sleep. Are you able to sleep more on the weekends? That and more protein would help you.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    I cook a lot of desi style curries thanks to the wonderful books from British-asian cooks that are available, and they just fit with my lifestyle as it's great for leftovers for lunch so I cook more curry than anything else most of the time. In my experience portion control is the most important. I input all the recipes in the recipe builder and serve myself a serving to fit into my calorie budget. I have naan, roti or basmati rice (sometimes whole grain rice or quinoa if I want a change or can be bothered to spend the extra time making it). Again portion control with those is important. Basically you just need to know how much you're eating.
  • BigChungus20
    kshama2001 wrote: »

It will be much, much more nutritious, let alone easier, to drop your rotis from 1.5 to 1 than to replace lunch with cucumbers.

Thanks.
    I've started eating less rotis. Hopefully it will help my situation
  • BigChungus20

You would be an optimal candidate for recomp ( weight lifting to swap muscle for fat, but remain at your current weight), however, with your busy lifestyle you can't fit it in now. I agree that trying to eat some protein will help your situation. I don't know what to suggest because I am not familiar with your culture ( I live in Italy, and we are on the Med diet). You will have to research that yourself. Even at 21 yrs of age, you risk burnout with lack of sleep. Are you able to sleep more on the weekends? That and more protein would help you.

Yes i do sleep more on the weekends. Around 8 to 10 hours.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,808 Member
    Your not the only one. Time management. Some people seem to be able to accomplish astounding timelines successfully while others can't. Maybe work on that.
  • curtisbk3
    curtisbk3 Posts: 3 Member

Is this the part where I get to gush about how important the greater omentum is for supporting the immune system in the abdomen???

Yes! Exactly!

This is precisely why I've spent many years developing a rather robust omentum (I totally had to google that word!)!! :*