Family

Options
Does anyone have that one Family member (in my case two) that always have to comment on your weight?

Example my aunt just came in i was like "so i lost 12 lbs woot!" She responds with "yeah you needed too" =( Ouch. Truth hurts but still ouch.

How do you deal with their remarks?

Replies

• MrsRadder
    MrsRadder Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Oh boy... I have a saying, "If it's not one thing...it's my Mother". Enough said.

~Hugs~
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I would say look i am trying and thats the best i can do!
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I would say look i am trying and thats the best i can do!
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    I would tell her, and you need to work on your people skills because that was rude as hell, did you even realize what an @sshole you just sounded like.......did you mean to or are you just that oblivious? Then just stare until she answers. Thats how I deal with that family or no.
  • MaryStregger
    MaryStregger Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Yes - my mother in law. She seems to do it unconsciously - and it always sounds as though it wasn't meant to hurt, but it kind of does. She comments on the weight of others constantly too and this drives me crazy. She always notices first if someone has lost or gained weight. With her I find that a very frank, honest reply helps. Just because something is the truth, it doesn't mean that it needs to be stated - so I try to remind her of this by calmly letting her know that I do not appreciate those remarks. For example, if she were to have made the same comment that your aunt made, I would look her straight in the eyes and say "ouch - that hurt." For her, this would let her know that she has tainted something that I am proud of. I know that this approach is not appropriate for everyone, but for me and her it works.
  • RKORTON
    Options
    My mother is always on my case about my weight but if she calls and I am exercising she tells me I am waisting my time.
  • Grimmerick
    Options
    My mother is always on my case about my weight but if she calls and I am exercising she tells me I am waisting my time.

and she's wasting her breath hang up on her.
  • TMcBooty
    TMcBooty Posts: 780 Member
    Options

omigosh, that's awful! do it just to prove her wrong!!! :)
  • TMcBooty
    TMcBooty Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    and she's wasting her breath hang up on her.

haha I like you!!
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Yes!

The thin ones in the family comment on how im a little chubby...
    One even went to call me festively plump at xmas.

And the obese half of the family comment on how im becoming very skin.
    And say that im annerexic!
    Which is awful as all i do is stuff my face with kfc...

You can never please everybody, or anybody in my case lol..
  • Shayyy01
    Shayyy01 Posts: 290 Member
    Options

That is horrible, Dont answer the phone!

People are sometimes just harsh and they dont mean to be. I always get really quite when some hurts my feelings, to me its better to stay hash then flip out on them.
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    YUP.

In a span of 4 days, I had not one, but FIVE family members comment on my weight. I was by no means over weight at all, but between my parents, my sister, and my grandma, they all had a different way of calling me "chubby." The fifth person to comment was my aunt, who had traveled all the way across the country to see me that week. When I opened the door to greet her, I did NOT get a "Hello! It's been years since I've seen you! I missed you so much!", rather I got a "Oh wow. You've really put on a lot of weight. Let's draw up a diet plan for you."

Now that I've lost the weight they told me to lose, every time I see them they ask me stupid questions like "are you still eating?"
  • irishseven
    irishseven Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    If you want to win the fat-war..laugh..and don't make any excuses to kick it every day, you are in charge of you..not anyone else on this earth..GOOD LUCK..WORK HARD!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I did when I was bigger (not that I was even overweight, but bigger than I am now). I was told I would having trouble conceiving as I was dangerously obese (with a BMI of 25).

Now I have lost weight no one in my family comments.
  • Grimmerick
    Options
    YUP.

In a span of 4 days, I had not one, but FIVE family members comment on my weight. I was by no means over weight at all, but between my parents, my sister, and my grandma, they all had a different way of calling me "chubby." The fifth person to comment was my aunt, who had traveled all the way across the country to see me that week. When I opened the door to greet her, I did NOT get a "Hello! It's been years since I've seen you! I missed you so much!", rather I got a "Oh wow. You've really put on a lot of weight. Let's draw up a diet plan for you."

Now that I've lost the weight they told me to lose, every time I see them they ask me stupid questions like "are you still eating?"

OMG weiner dog racing ticker I love it and I really want to go to one, closest ones in WV though..........I will go, oh yes I will go.
  • whiskey9890
    whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    my dad, always has to say something about the fact i'm putting on weight every time i see him (even if i haven't) which considering i only see him about 3 times a year you'd think he could find something better to talk about, but then this is the same dad who got drunk one night (a very rare occurance, but when he does he really does) and when the guy i'd just started seeing phoned he spent 2 hours talking to him and even commented on how flat chested i was to him. its ok though i got revenge about 4 years ago and phoned him to tell him i was no longer flat chested and the weight that i'd been putting on had resulted in an ample but proportioned bust, poor old dad was so embarrased he didn't know what to say bless him
  • afv417
    afv417 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    As much as I love my dad, he has pressured me, pushed me, embarrassed me (beyond belief), when it comes to my weight. Here's to hoping he doesn't say anything innappropriate when I see him tonight. I'm going for a beer or two afterwards and I can see myself being sad/upset again and drinking way too much and then getting the munchies and stopping for donuts on my way home... eeeeeeeeeek!
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    YUP.

OMG weiner dog racing ticker I love it and I really want to go to one, closest ones in WV though..........I will go, oh yes I will go.

We take my neighbors dog to the Weiner Dog Races where I live. It's so much fun! They are too cute. She has 8 Doxies!
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Not that I would ever use it (and I would love to when my mom gets mean) but you could always reply with "You're right, I am fat and need to lose weight but your a ***** and I can diet"

I usually say it in my head and it makes me smile :laugh:
  • mommacat2012
    Options
    Sorry to hear that your aunt is so rude. :devil: Some people get off on being mean because I honestly think it makes them feel better about themselves. Totally Awesome girl for your wt. loss.:flowerforyou: Don't waste your time or effort listening to small minded people family or not.:heart: