HELP - pulled a muscle! :'(

Options
right ive just finised a workout - EA active sports 2 for wii, ive recently started this excercise as ive not long had it. These morning one of the excercises was 'mountain boarding' where you have to squat down and then rotate ur body to the left and squat, then rotate ur body right and squat, it also involves in a lot of jump and squatting. As i finished the excercise i felt real bad pain coming from the left side of my bottom of my back, a thought to myself 'oh nooo, ive pulled a muscle!' i walked over to reach for my water bottle and i could hardly move! I couldnt bend down to sit on the floor to do the cool down excercises. Im finding it hard to get on and off the sofa! =(

Ive got work soon at the primary schoool, i work lunchtimes there soo i have to do alot of bending down to cut the kids dinners up. I also have to tie shoelaces etc etc..

Ive got an ice pack on my back now before i have to go to work at 11:30am

Anyone know of anything i can do to help ease the pain? Ive never been in this much pain before! Have a just stretched my back too much and my body is not used to it sorta thing? =(

Replies

• moushtie
    moushtie Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Now the ice pack has taken off any swelling, try a warm pack ( hot water bottle, wheat bag). It should help the muscle to relax and not pull so much. i'd be wary of trying to stretch it too much until it's recovered. I'm not an expert though.
  • bubbab666
    Options
    I wouldn't be surprised if it's a pinched disk or impinged nerve: the spine is not very good for simultaneous extension and rotation or flexion and rotation. Going to the doc is the best idea so you can rule this out.
    IF it is a pulled muscle, ice it for a few days off and on until it's not bothering you anymore. At this point only, heating pad and gentle ROM work.
  • xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    Thankyou i will try that! :)

I wont be stretching now for a while hahah!! I cant even walk properlly let alone do any stretching =/
  • bubbab666
    Options
    Do NOT stretch a pulled muscle until WEEKS later when you have reached the point where full ROM is comfortably possible.

Also, do not heat it too soon. a few days of inactivity and icing is needed first.
  • xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks :)
  • Kalossus
    Kalossus Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Sophia also take an NSAID like alieve. This will help with swelling and inflammation and kill the pain a bit. Usually rule of thumb is rest ice and nsaid for a week if no improvement see the doc.