New & Nervous

Hi! I am new here, but ready to make changes! I quit smoking for New Year's (hooray) and have gained ~35lbs (boo). I am looking for help with accountability, self esteem and willpower. Happy to offer encouragement to others!

Replies

• I'm in the same place. I gained about 35 lbs, but I'd also like to lose the 20 I gained before that. Slowly but surely. Looking forward to seeing your wins!
  • talltrees500
    talltrees500 Posts: 25 Member
    Good for you! I’m a former smoker and looking to lose 30-35 lbs! Maybe we can keep each other accountable 😀
  • LeeH31
    LeeH31 Posts: 312 Member
    Okay @MDubbery , @thnksfrthmmrsjx, and @talltrees500 here's the thing.

Y'ALL QUIT SMOKING!!! Terrific, wonderful, great job! Really, it is such a hard thing to do. I have been quit for 5 years and it was one of the best, but harder things I have done. Now for the reality.

Losing weight is harder.

Let that sink in.

There is no real stigma attached to eating. Eating=love, family, friendship. Eating comforts us, keeps us busy, makes us happy. Food is usually the center of our celebrations and traditions. You HAVE to eat.

So what will help you to deal with all that and lose weight, keep it off? Note: I am in the process myself, just passing on some things I have learned from others who have succeeded at losing and MAINTAINING.

1. Habits. Motivation and will power WILL fail. Habits will sustain you. 3 good habits to develop are: track everything you eat and drink every day; keep within your calorie budget every day (plan off days for events); and MOVE every day-deliberate exercise for at least 20 minutes a day.
    2. Eat healthy food that you LIKE. I hate tofu, cannot abide liver, and lentils are blech. Just because it is supposed to be good for you will not inspire me to eat it.
    3. Eat your goodies within your calorie budget. For instance: I made a cake for our anniversary. I have a small serving with my coffee after supper until it is gone. I put it in my tracker FIRST so I can plan the rest of my calories around it.
    4. Don't try to lose all your weight in a week. None of you is morbidly obese, so go for a slower, more doable approach of 1/2-1 pound a week. You won't shock your system, and when it is time to transition to maintenance it won't be such a leap.

Okay, that's my two cents worth. Best wishes for your success!

Lee