Cocktail ideas

Options
I am a social drinker and am struggling to find lower calorie options. I normally drink fruity types of cocktails and crown and coke. Any suggestions when out with friends?

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Crown and diet coke
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,117 Member
    Options
    Hard seltzer perhaps? Never tried it myself, but I've heard about it as being fairly low calorie.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy a refreshing grapefruit gimlet made with grapefruit juice, zero calorie Canada Dry ginger ale and gin. I also like to add a little fresh muddled mint. Depending on the ratios you like, a nice sized glass over ice can come in at around 100-150 calories.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I use diet mixers. My usual cocktail of preference is a moscow mull. I use Reed's Extra no sugar ginger beer. I do also enjoy Crown and coke and just use Coke Zero. I'm not much into the fruity stuff, but that's likely going to be more difficult to sub and have the same experience.
  • mourvedre
    mourvedre Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I plan ahead and factor-in the calories of whatever drinks that I'm going to have (usually wine, ~135 cal). When I get to my limit, I drink Pellegrino or Perrier with lime.
  • njpaul1964
    njpaul1964 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try Crystal light fruit punch and vodka
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Flavored sparkling water, muddle fresh fruit and mix with flavored vodka. Or, you could do the same with diet Sprite or ginger ale.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I am a social drinker and am struggling to find lower calorie options. I normally drink fruity types of cocktails and crown and coke. Any suggestions when out with friends?

Trade out for a no calorie mixer (juice → diet soda or sparkling flavored water) or an artificially flavored alcohol (like fruit-flavored vodka...usually it's a non-calorie flavoring that's added) with plain soda water.
  • roseym10
    roseym10 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Mojito made with diet Sprite
  • kenziestabes
    kenziestabes Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Any cocktail suggestions for people who can't use diet soda or sugar-free mixes?
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Any cocktail suggestions for people who can't use diet soda or sugar-free mixes?

Tequila shots 🤷‍♀️
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    I'm not a sweet-drink fan, mostly, admittedly. Something I'm liking lately is sparkling water, a suitable liquor, and bitters, over ice.

There are many, many kinds of bitters: They're a strongly-flavored thing, kind of like an extract, and they come in flavors from fruity (peach, lime, etc.) to spicy (cardomom) to more quirky/savory (chocolate, olive, cucumber, more). The most common/basic ones are sort of herbal tasting. I adore cucumber, so I often combine cucumber bitters with sparkling water on ice, even without the alcohol, with or without a lime wedge. Still, add some vodka and gin, and it's quite drinkable and mildly intoxicating.

The calories in bitters are because it's alcohol based (similar to an extract, like say vanilla extract), but the flavor is so concentrated that you only need a few drops in a highball glass, so the extra calories are negligible.

This wouldn't be everyone's jam - I know a lot of people prefer the sweet drinks - but it's an option. A highball glass with an ounce of vodka (or other clear spirit), bitters, citrus wedge if desired, sparkling water, is going to run around 70-ish calories.
  • AKTipsyCat
    AKTipsyCat Posts: 240 Member
    Options

Vodka, club soda, and extra lime/lemon became my friend for a long time for summer drinking options. Also, you can use teas as mixer. Hibiscus tea and Vodka is lovely. Chai tea (warm) and bourbon is a lovely winter sub for overly sweet toddies and mulled wines... I also have bitters in all sorts of flavors, mint and cardamom being my current favorites to add to bourbon and ice for just a hint of flavor.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    A lot of places offer a “skinny margarita” for around 100 calories. It has tequila, lime juice, and a bit of agave nectar. I often get that or just a 5 oz glass of Riesling, Pinot, or Rose’ wine.
  • IFJagain
    IFJagain Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Dry red wine (merlot, cabernet sauvignon, chianti, etc.) is about 115-125 calories/5 oz. Bourbon is around 195-225 calories/3 oz. Vodka and rum with mixers are relatively low too.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    I just discovered Smirnoff "Kissed Caramel" flavor vodka. I mixed it with plain sparkling water with a splash of apple cider and sliced apples and it is very yummy! I'm not a sweet liquor person, but this has some tartness to balance it out.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options

I'm assuming what you want to avoid is the artificial sugars? Me too! (Yuck.)

Seltzer (aka soda water or sparkling water) or club soda.

I'm not a fan. I do like tonic water, which has a little sugar, and according to the USDA, 34 calories per 100 g.

https://www.acouplecooks.com/club-soda-vs-seltzer/
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 878 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Any liquor with a diet/zero mixer (including tonic water...bc for some reason I think some people do not know how much sugar is in tonic water).

Straight liquor if that's your jam --- bourbon, ect.

If I'm drinking a mixed drink at home I'll often use a flavored seltzer (non-alcoholic), whatever liquor (usually gin), and a squirt of like Crystal Light or similar. Tastes great, bubbly, refreshing.

But, to be honest I usually drink beer and some of the beers I drink can be quite hefty on calories so I just work that into my day.

EDIT: for those who want to avoid artificial sweeteners --- straight up drinks, flavored seltzer, or simply have the drink you want and work it into the day. I don't know of many alternatives to regular sweetened drinks.
  • kenziestabes
    kenziestabes Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    @kshama2001 Yup! They give me migraines.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    AKTipsyCat wrote: »

Vodka, club soda, and extra lime/lemon became my friend for a long time for summer drinking options. Also, you can use teas as mixer. Hibiscus tea and Vodka is lovely. Chai tea (warm) and bourbon is a lovely winter sub for overly sweet toddies and mulled wines... I also have bitters in all sorts of flavors, mint and cardamom being my current favorites to add to bourbon and ice for just a hint of flavor.

I read this as 'Also, you can use tears as a mixer'...and I was honestly like, yeah...you can. LOL.