Seeking alternatives for yoga moves

Options
Hello. I use Fitness Blender and really enjoy the workouts, but many videos feature yoga moves. To me personally, I am bothered by it because of the spiritual aspect of yoga. I was wondering if there were any non-yoga alternatives to the common poses included in the videos such as downward dog, cobra pose, child pose, warrior, etc.

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    There's nothing inherently physically in the moves that invokes a *particular* spirituality. Its about what we focus on when we individually, personally do those moves. There's a long tradition, for example, of Christian meditation and spirituality. Focus mentally on things from your faith tradition while doing particular movements, and they will reinforce your faith tradition, not some arbitrary thing alien to you. Think about it: If you happened to accidentally make some hand gesture that turned out to be a gang sign, would holding your hand that way make you a gang member? No. Holding your body in a particular position doesn't magically invoke some unfamiliar spiritual tradition.

Right, and if I make the OK symbol that does not make me a white supremacist.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    There's nothing inherently physically in the moves that invokes a *particular* spirituality. Its about what we focus on when we individually, personally do those moves. There's a long tradition, for example, of Christian meditation and spirituality. Focus mentally on things from your faith tradition while doing particular movements, and they will reinforce your faith tradition, not some arbitrary thing alien to you. Think about it: If you happened to accidentally make some hand gesture that turned out to be a gang sign, would holding your hand that way make you a gang member? No. Holding your body in a particular position doesn't magically invoke some unfamiliar spiritual tradition.

Yes and no. The relationship here is complicated and while I get what you're saying, for some people (myself included) yoga will just always be a hard no.

My suggestion to the OP would just be to find something else to do because there's lots. I know some people locally who incorporate traditional Christian meditation and movement (which is a thing even though it's largely been forgotten) but I'm not familiar with online resources (I've seen a few and have been distinctly unimpressed, so they haven't stuck around in my memory). But you could also go with more neutral stretching or breathing exercises.
  • penguinmama87
    Options
    You could just kneel on the floor and then fold your upper body forward, arms extended above your head; you don't have to call it child's pose. You could just get into a push-up position and then raise and lower your hips as far as you can in either direction alternately, you don't have to call it a vinyasa. Moving your body in a particular way, especially in the context of a workout you're following on Youtube for the purpose of exercise, doesn't invoke a spiritual tradition any more than looking at a picture of the Pope makes you Catholic.

If the person demonstrating the move calls it yoga, then it gets iffy for some of us. Respectfully, some people have very serious, deeply rooted beliefs about this, and we're not strangers to the line of thinking presented here. I have had lots of people tell me some variation of this and what @AnnPT77 posted. While for some, that explanation may suffice, for others it does not. What I think about in my own head does not change what I believe to be the essential nature of the thing. Other people don't have to believe that. They can think what I think is silly (and I know they do.) Doesn't matter. Not doing the thing.

The OP wants something that isn't yoga. I think it's out there and she can find it, and doesn't have to settle for just imagining that something people are calling yoga isn't yoga just because she chooses to call it something else.
  • penguinmama87
    edited September 2021
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    You could just kneel on the floor and then fold your upper body forward, arms extended above your head; you don't have to call it child's pose. You could just get into a push-up position and then raise and lower your hips as far as you can in either direction alternately, you don't have to call it a vinyasa. Moving your body in a particular way, especially in the context of a workout you're following on Youtube for the purpose of exercise, doesn't invoke a spiritual tradition any more than looking at a picture of the Pope makes you Catholic.

If the person demonstrating the move calls it yoga, then it gets iffy for some of us. Respectfully, some people have very serious, deeply rooted beliefs about this, and we're not strangers to the line of thinking presented here. I have had lots of people tell me some variation of this and what @AnnPT77 posted. While for some, that explanation may suffice, for others it does not. What I think about in my own head does not change what I believe to be the essential nature of the thing. Other people don't have to believe that. They can think what I think is silly (and I know they do.) Doesn't matter. Not doing the thing.

The OP wants something that isn't yoga. I think it's out there and she can find it, and doesn't have to settle for just imagining that something people are calling yoga isn't yoga just because she chooses to call it something else.

I would argue that anything FITNESS BLENDER offers isn't yoga in the Dattātreyayogaśāstra sense of the word and therefore can be safely consumed without causing spiritual corruption.

Yes, I understand that. I still disagree, the OP is already uncomfortable with what she's seen from them, and asked for alternatives. Surely, the wide breadth of experiences from MFPers can offer something that would be more amenable.

ETA: Since I'm actually not much help answering the question in the OP, I am going to bow out of this thread after this post. I have a huge respect and appreciation for the posters who have responded to you thus far and it's awkward and uncomfortable to disagree with them so vehemently. I can't think of a way to rephrase or explain myself more thoroughly and I don't think MFP is the place for deep philosophical or theological discussion anyway. The most I can say is, yes, really, some of us won't do yoga no matter what the explicit or implicit instructions or intentions are of the person presenting it to us.

That said, despite the increase in yoga's popularity and it seemingly being everywhere, I do think the OP has options and I hope some knowledgeable posters can help out with alternatives so she can find a way of exercising that works for her without conflicting with sincerely held beliefs. I am and never have been a workout video person so I'm not much help, but my inclination is to suggest old school calisthenics or Pilates. I know my local library has a huge selection of workout videos and may even have some available online rather than just by disc. Maybe others will have more specific suggestions.

Best of luck to you, OP. :)
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,594 Member
    Options
    Hello. I use Fitness Blender and really enjoy the workouts, but many videos feature yoga moves. To me personally, I am bothered by it because of the spiritual aspect of yoga. I was wondering if there were any non-yoga alternatives to the common poses included in the videos such as downward dog, cobra pose, child pose, warrior, etc.

You may feel better knowing that a lot of modern yoga, especially that which is taught outside a spiritual context, such as in a gym or on Fitness Blender, got a lot of inspiration from British Army calisthenics and gymnastics.

Warrior 1 and 2 are just lunges. Warrior 3 is like a common gym move whose name escapes me. @springlering62?

Well you got me. The only thing I do remotely similar at the gym is a one legged kettlebell pickup. It reminds of those souvenir glass birds with the red liquid that bob up and down when you set them in motion. So in my head it’s the Bobbing Bird exercise.

Same problem i have with Bow pose when you rock and roll over onto one side. In my head it will forever be Fat Dachshund pose.

I would suggest checking out mat Pilates. Many of the moves are fairly similar to yoga, lots more core, and absolutely nothing whatsoever spiritual about it, unless you really really enjoy roll ups as much as I do. (I couldn’t do them properly for the longest so I love and luxuriate in them now.)

• kshama2001
    Options

You may feel better knowing that a lot of modern yoga, especially that which is taught outside a spiritual context, such as in a gym or on Fitness Blender, got a lot of inspiration from British Army calisthenics and gymnastics.

Warrior 1 and 2 are just lunges. Warrior 3 is like a common gym move whose name escapes me. @springlering62?

Well you got me. The only thing I do remotely similar at the gym is a one legged kettlebell pickup. It reminds of those souvenir glass birds with the red liquid that bob up and down when you set them in motion. So in my head it’s the Bobbing Bird exercise.

Same problem i have with Bow pose when you rock and roll over onto one side. In my head it will forever be Fat Dachshund pose.

I would suggest checking out mat Pilates. Many of the moves are fairly similar to yoga, lots more core, and absolutely nothing whatsoever spiritual about it, unless you really really enjoy roll ups as much as I do. (I couldn’t do them properly for the longest so I love and luxuriate in them now.)

That's it!

OP- so for Warrior 1 or 2, just do your favorite lunge, and for Warrior 3, a one legged kettlebell pickup, without the pickup. (Arms down will be easier.)

pgg2ga7ut57r.png

c6x30ann3w1b.png
  • kshama2001
    Options
    For downward dog, do Pilates Upstretch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qPcsC9Gsl8
  • kshama2001
    Options
    For child pose, do Pilates Rest Position.

7by58ik0ozmr.png

https://theteaser.peakpilates.com/exercise-spotlight-rest-position/

...Students confuse this with ‘child’s pose’ from yoga. It is not. They have very different shapes and purposes. Keep the abdominals deeply activated.
  • kshama2001
    Options
  • tnh2o
    tnh2o Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    To-may-toe, to-mah-tah?
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,854 Member
    Options
    When I started losing weight and exercising more I'd wake up at night with terrible cramps: toes, top of my foot, shin, and calf. I tried all the usual recommendations of drinking more water, etc, etc but the only thing that helped was doing static stretches for half an hour every evening before bed. I'd do them as I was watching the news. I wasn't doing yoga. I wasn't doing pilates. I was just stretching on a mat while watching the news. Google "static stretches" and you might find what you're looking for.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    If doing yoga moves bothers you (although I agree with everything kshama has said above, including the alternatives), I'd advice an exercise program that is focused on similar goals that isn't called yoga vs trying to do yoga but subbing moves. Pilates is probably a good option. There are lots of similar moves and no namaste or the like. I do both and consider them complementary (and I'm Catholic and have no issues with exercise focused yoga being somehow a religion), but I could achieve the same benefits through just pilates more often, I think.