NEW and need some help / advice xx

Options
Hi everyone I have decided today that I need to go down the healthy slower weight loss track. I've been doing fad diets on and off some days only having 600 calories weights been up and down lately An if realise now that this is not healthy nor sustainable, now my question is
I've been set 1200 calories a day which is much better for me but going from 600 to double that am I going to see a gain at first? Am I doing It right sticking to 1200? I'm around 1stone 8 pounds over weight TIA

Replies

• LeeH31
    LeeH31 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    @Workoutsnotwhisky why are you trying to lose so fast, or are you really tiny? Did you set it for 2 pounds a week loss? Slow down, hon. 1200 is pretty much the minimum for preventing starvation. If you do any exercise, you need more.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    LeeH31 wrote: »
    @Workoutsnotwhisky why are you trying to lose so fast, or are you really tiny? Did you set it for 2 pounds a week loss? Slow down, hon. 1200 is pretty much the minimum for preventing starvation. If you do any exercise, you need more.

While you are technically correct, the OP clearly stated she was previously eating half the calories she is eating now. So, while yes, 1200 is still low, it's a marked improvement from what she was doing. The simple answer is that no, it's very unlikely that the OP will gain weight on 1200 calories. They will most likely continue to lose.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,293 Member
    Options
    1200 might even be too fast for you.

Maybe start there, try it for a month, and see how you do?

If you’re exercising you will likely need more.
    If you’re especially tall, same thing.

This whole weight management habit is for life. So settle into something you can live with happily. If you feel no energy, if your hair gets thin or brittle, if your nails split, and a bunch of other signs? Increase your calories.

If you’ve gone more than five weeks without losing? Decrease your calories by one or two hundred.
  • LeeH31
    LeeH31 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    @sollyn23l2 I did read her post, and sympathize deeply with her plight. But really, other than telling us how many calories she was doing and what she is now doing really isn't enough information, is it? Her username makes it sound as if she enjoys working out. If that is so, and she is only trying to lose 20 pounds, then while 1200 is a marked improvement from 600 it still is not enough unless she is 3' tall and weighs 80 pounds! (wee exaggeration there) Her last sentence was asking if she was doing it right. Not enough information to answer that correctly.

My main concern is that she may feel that 1200 is enough. If she is exercising, it is not, unless she is Tinkerbell.

@Workoutsnotwhisky I hope you were not put off by the concern expressed here. I'm sorry if I offended you, it wasn't meant to be offensive, merely caring.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    LeeH31 wrote: »
    @sollyn23l2 I did read her post, and sympathize deeply with her plight. But really, other than telling us how many calories she was doing and what she is now doing really isn't enough information, is it? Her username makes it sound as if she enjoys working out. If that is so, and she is only trying to lose 20 pounds, then while 1200 is a marked improvement from 600 it still is not enough unless she is 3' tall and weighs 80 pounds! (wee exaggeration there) Her last sentence was asking if she was doing it right. Not enough information to answer that correctly.

My main concern is that she may feel that 1200 is enough. If she is exercising, it is not, unless she is Tinkerbell.

@Workoutsnotwhisky I hope you were not put off by the concern expressed here. I'm sorry if I offended you, it wasn't meant to be offensive, merely caring.

Like I said, I actually completely agree with you, and I'm not trying to argue with your points, which are valid. I was simply pointing out that trying to increase calories even more so rapidly may be intimidating and isn't strictly necessary.