BMI - what should I aim for?

Options
Ok so I have been pissing about at work today (again) and looking up my BMI.
I put it into a calculator and this is what it said:

"Do you need to lose weight?:
Maybe… Just a little
Your weight is within your healthy weight range.
You have a BMI of 23.5- a BMI of 18.5-25 is categorised as healthy.
However, you could lose up to 1st 12lband remain within your healthy weight range. Losing 1st 12lbcould make you look and feel better."

So....
At the moment I want to lose another 1 stone... but this thing is suggesting losing another 12lbs on top of that?!?!
Is that right?
That would take me to a BMI of 19.9... as opposed to my GW BMI of 21.4 (which is my goal weight through weight on the scales)

My question is:
Should I aim for that lower BMI of 19.9?
It means I have to lose another 12lbs and I think I am feel a like I was half way and now BAM! I am not even half way if I got for this lower BMI.

Could I ask what everyone else's BMI is?

Replies

• medoria
    medoria Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I think you should stick with the weight you are comfortable as long as your not putting your health at risk. BMI is just a frame of reference and it does not take how much muscles vs bodyfat you have into consideraiton. Do you think you could loose as much as the site suggest and maintain that weight without problem then go ahead but aiming to low and always having to worry about what you eat and if you train enough is stressful.
  • u04kmm5
    u04kmm5 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Do you think you could loose as much as the site suggest and maintain that weight without problem then go ahead but aiming to low and always having to worry about what you eat and if you train enough is stressful.

That is a very good point. I would imagine if I got down to the lower weight, I would stay there in blissful happiness for about 5 days and then not maintain it.
    It's just hard sometimes to look at yourself objectively. I always think I am just losing what I think I can manage, rather than what I should be losing for health reason, etc...
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Don't let a calculator that just works off of a formula, not actually knowing you, make your decisions.

If you are healthy, can do the activities you enjoy, and are happy with your appearance you are where you should be.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    The BMI chart is a flawed tool. My BMI is borderline obese, and I'm 18% bodyfat. No, I'm not some insanely bulky bodybuilder either, just healthy and in decent shape.

7434194_1237.jpg

Aim for a healthy bodyfat percentage. 20% is pretty good for a starting point for women.

Good luck!
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Worry about Body Fat not BMI. BMI is not accurate for all people.
  • u04kmm5
    u04kmm5 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Aim for a healthy bodyfat percentage. 20% is pretty good for a starting point for women.

How would I go about getting my body fat measured?
    (thanks for the advice)
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

How would I go about getting my body fat measured?
    (thanks for the advice)

Any local gym would probably be able to measure it for you (DON'T let them use anything you grab, or stand on as their guage). Insist on bodyfat calipers, then use the same person every time in the future. Alternately...a doctor can provide the same measurement.

What I did, was bought my own calipers off Amazon for $8. They work...and are repeatable...but it takes some practice to get to the point where you can trust the numbers.