Fat & Carbs: Goals or Limits?

Options
Forgive me for any newbie questions I may be posting here. I've been doing the diet thing only for the last 8 months, and mostly just figuring it out as I go along. I have really liked using MFP, but I want to be sure I'm using it right! My questions is regarding the numbers in my "Nutrients" tab.

For fat, my "Goal" is listed as 56. For carbs, it's listed as "230." I supposed my confusion stems from the use of the term "Goal." What I'm wondering is if I should be shooting for 56 grams of fat and 230 carbs, or if I should consider those maximums.

I've heard that some fat and carbs are good for you -- I mean, they're more or less necessary for life, right? But I regularly come in under those numbers, and I'm wondering if I should be shooting to get a little more in my diet.

I went through a brief period of calorie restriction, eating like 600-700 a day, and realized that when I don't eat much, I don't lose weight -- it wasn't until I started eating more that my weight loss started back up. So I know that sometimes eating more is better -- I just don't know if this applies to fat and carbs.

Replies

• fruitsndveggies
    Options
    I believe if you don't exercise carbs should be a LIMIT if you do exercise they should be a GOAL as your body needs them for fuel, but again that's a personal preference. As for fat I only take in 20% of my calories from fat so I try to get most of them but not over them. Best of luck !
  • joditenzer
    Options
    I know this is sort of a non-answer, but it really depends on your body, which means you'll have to play with the numbers as you go. If you find your losing fine by going under calories, but going over on fat/carbs, then stick with it...since your body needs that. If not, try first sticking to the number for your fat and see, then try carbs and see. I believe the numbers are maximums, but not set in stone. For instance, mine tells me I should have 16g of fiber a day. I come in at 24+ usually, and the recommended fiber in the US is 25-35, so I ignore that one as well as protein, which I consistently go over. I do try to keep as close to my fat as possible, but I do go over it by a little, and I tend to keep my carbs down, since I eat so much protein.
  • sneezles
    sneezles Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I would consider carbs a limit and fat ,assuming it's good fats, as a guideline.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I've learned that my carb number has to stay low. My body doesn't handle carbs very well (and doesn't do any grains - eliminated them from my diet as an experiment and it was the best thing I have ever done) and I have no interest in doing tons of chronic cardio or exercising 6 days a week. I stay active and do enough to maintain my lean muscle mass. I lost my belly when I gave up grains (processed and whole) and increased my fat intake - healthy fats. Olive oil, coconut oil, avocado oil and lots of saturated fat from meat, fatty fish and poultry. I don't touch grain/seed oils or vegetable oils.

So my carbs stay around 40g-50g; my protein around 80g and and my fat around 124g (1600 calories but I burn that on my absloutely laziest weekend day). There are days when I eat more of each and days when I eat less of each but it balances out in the end. (To hard to worry about day to day expenditure. I've burned 2800 one day and 1700 the next)

My percentages are 10/20/70.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    They are goals. Those are the macros you need to hit in order to reach your daily calorie goal. You can adjust the percentages to change the individual numbers, but fat + carbs + protein = total calories. You should be right on the numbers every day to make sure you are eating enough.
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I believe they are goals & limits. I don't want to go over, but I don't want to remain under very far. Your body needs the fuel, but too much of a good thing is why we gain weight.