60 yrs and up

Options
Hi...just wanted to hear from others in my age group. :)

Replies

• SAILORGRANMA
    SAILORGRANMA Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    HI I'M 73 THIS MY FIRST DAY . NEED TO LOSE WEIGHT & GET MY POTASSIUM DOWN . TRYING TO FIGURE THE SITE OUT .
  • MimiHenn56
    MimiHenn56 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am 65 years old. I joined 1 month ago. I am doing better with this plan then WW.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,737 Member
    Options
    Hello, and welcome!

I'm 65, lost 50+ pounds with MFP back in 2015-16 at age 59-60, now hanging around to maintain a healthy weight, not wanting to revert to the overweight to obese me of previous multiple decades.

There are bunches of people our age in this thread, at various stages of the process:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10718336/60-yrs-and-up#latest

When you first open that up, the first pages look old . . . but there are new/recent posts at the end, on the higher-numbered pages. Still lots of folks participating!

Wishing you much success!
  • 811ratkins
    811ratkins Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm 61 and I lost well on Keto but once I stopped 3 months ago 16lbs crept back on.
    Looking to lose it again and eat a more low carb diet not as restrictive as keto.
  • Heida1958
    Heida1958 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I´m 63 and today I weight 286lb (262lb this summer). Have been on MFP for 6 whole weeks now and desperately need motivation.
  • Kathy_1220
    Kathy_1220 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You CAN do this! I will be 62 in December, and the past few years have been horrid. The pandemic, health issues, the death of my husband in April 2020 killed me inside. In January I was in the 230's. I finally decided to get my life in order...joined a gym, started watching my nutrition...walking, bike riding. Just moving makes me feel better and more in control. This morning I clocked in at 177 and and had to buy a pair of size 12 jeans. It is really hard to get started...but once you do and you keep your eye on the prize, it just becomes natural. I know you can do this because I did this. And please, be kind to yourself Addyingdottir. Rome was not built in a day, and neither were we. BTW, you are gorgeous!
  • booboo1000
    booboo1000 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Can you motivate to slowly lose 10 pounds? Then you set another goal after that. Log, log, log. Learn from both successes and the not-so-much. I found my motivation over time. First was not to gain more as my knees were starting to hurt. I lost some, and then my goal was to lose to continue feeling better while I became more aware of the risk of weight on COVID outcomes. Nine months after I started my initial goal, my (and goal) motivation changed again as COVID risks became clearer. I'm at goal and finding my motivation to stay here.

None of this is easy, but it is something you can do through trial and error.
  • sandit60
    sandit60 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi friends! I need to lose 60 pounds, at least, my doc said. I go to see him in January..oy vey! I am also pre-diabetic (128 avg. glucose and A1C of 61. Yuck! Any good recipes for chili in the crockpot. Thank you <3
  • booboo1000
    booboo1000 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    @sandit60 Hi! I would set a goal for the month of October of no more than 10-12 pounds. Then reassess and set another goal for November. You've got the complication of Halloween, Thanksgiving (US), Christmas/Hannukah/other and New Year's Eve that you will have to plan for and accommodate.

By January you should be able to show yourself and your doctor good progress toward 60 pounds. You could well turn around the pre-diabetes so long as you keep up the changes you make (BTW, I am one of those type 2's who do not see being on medication as a failure to control diabetes by diet and exercise alone. I am on oral meds even though I am well into my healthy weight range and walk on a regular basis. My unmedicated A1c after weight loss into healthy weight range (20 pounds ago) was 5.9 and my most recent A1c (10 pounds ago) was 4.9. Since then, I increased my calories and thus my carbs to slow down my weight loss. I am interested to see if my additional loss plus the meds keep me at 4.9 in spite of the additional carbs.)

None of this is easy but can become habit.

Re: chili -- I don't have a recipe but I have enjoyed chicken chili and turkey chili almost as much as beef turkey. The caution about turkey chili is to check the fat content on ground turkey as it might not be any different from ground beef. The best poultry chilis I had were from chunks of meat, not ground meat.