To vaccinate or not to vaccinate

Options
SFnBald
SFnBald Posts: 134 Member
Maybe that's not the best title for this but whatever. So there's this guys wife who is anti-mandate. She won't get the vaccine and it's going to force her out of her job. Unfortunately, her choice is going to lead her to pursue a temp job out of state for the foreseeable future. Her choice, I get it. But, she's leaving her husband and three teenage children to take her political stand. Does this seem like a reasonable choice or is it incredibly selfish and is she really choosing her politics over her family? Asking for a friend :#

Replies

• vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    Options
    Although I have different views on the vaccines than she does....

I have to give her props for keeping her individuality/ independence. So many women are so far up their husbands ***, following them around everywhere, doing everything to please others but themselves. Just to end up resentful or divorced and lonely. The only way I’d find her actions selfish, is if her kids were younger which her kids are not, they can bathe and feed themselves. And it’s just temporary.
  • OpheliaCooter
    OpheliaCooter Posts: 1,635 Member
    Options
    I don’t think it’s a “political” stand. It’s what she wants for her health. I don’t think she’s selfish, she’s strong and willing to make sacrifices for what she believes will be better for her and her family.
  • Bluetail6
    Bluetail6 Posts: 2,874 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    SFnBald wrote: »
    Maybe that's not the best title for this but whatever. So there's this guys wife who is anti-mandate. She won't get the vaccine and it's going to force her out of her job. Unfortunately, her choice is going to lead her to pursue a temp job out of state for the foreseeable future. Her choice, I get it. But, she's leaving her husband and three teenage children to take her political stand. Does this seem like a reasonable choice or is it incredibly selfish and is she really choosing her politics over her family? Asking for a friend :#

MY OPINION ONLY:

Yes, it is incredibly selfish. She is choosing politics over her family.

I absolutely and categorically disagree with her. I think this is an unquestionably dubious decision. Yes, of course, it is her decision. I have seen the total and utter devastation Covid-19 can cause for individuals and families.

My health is not, nor will it ever be a political debate. There is so much politicizing around this issue... I am not saying her stand is political, you are. I just couldn't disagree with her more.
  • SFnBald
    SFnBald Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Revolu7 wrote: »
    Who says its a political stand? Making a personal medical decision doesnt have to be a political one. Im not taking sides, im just saying too many believe everything has to be political nowadays.

She's the one that's calling it a political stand. She's not against the vaccine, just 100% against the mandate telling her what to do.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    My cousin's boyfriend decided that he was not taking the vaccine because he did not know what was in it - he also had underlying conditions
    He caught covid and was dead with 2 days - so now he does not have to worry about taking the vaccine because covid took care of that
    I have no problems with people not taking the vaccine, it's their choice and they are welcome to it, just like I will not be having any sympathy for them when covid decided that they will be it's next meal

I think as a parent(s) if you have children under 18, it's selfish not to take vaccine because it is not fair on your child(ren).
    My cousin's boyfriend had son under 14 - his only child
  • Revolu7
    Revolu7 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    SFnBald wrote: »
    Revolu7 wrote: »
    Who says its a political stand? Making a personal medical decision doesnt have to be a political one. Im not taking sides, im just saying too many believe everything has to be political nowadays.

She's the one that's calling it a political stand. She's not against the vaccine, just 100% against the mandate telling her what to do.

I still dont think being against mandates is political. Here in NY the vast majority of unvaccinated people are democratic voting minorities, not right wingers. I think people should never be forced to do anything medically in the US. I choose to be vaccinated because i think its smart. And i may think those that dont are being foolish. But its my right to think that and its their right to be that. Obesity is the second leading co morbidity behind age that leads to serious illness and death with Covid. Should we mandate that everyone take in a certain amount of calories per day to eliminate unnecessary covid deaths as well?
  • drinkhorlicks
    drinkhorlicks Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Looks like somebody wanted a divorce badly