Help! Gaining on air. How to fix "damaged" metabolism?

I'm feeling pretty discourage atm and could use solid advice. I'm a 5'9", mid forties female with CW of 188. GW is 140-150. This summer, I lost 20 pounds eating 1200-1500 calories/day. Then, I was hit with a medical condition, where I didn't diet or exercise for about 8 weeks, but didn't regain during this time. Following a minor surgical procedure September 3rd, I fasted for three days (didn't feel like eating). I weighed in at 184. Over the next several days, I ate 500-800 calories, my weight was back up to 186. On September 7th, I started exercising again, but kept my calories low (800-1200). I know this is too low, but I was hoping to jumpstart loss again, and then increase calories to a sustainable level. For the past couple weeks, I've been exercising (hiking, step aerobics, and arms/ab work) at least one hour per day on 1200 calories. I've been conscientious about increasing TDEE. Scale kept nudging up. Yesterday, I bumped cals to 1450 (but also hiked 2.5 hours and did 40 minutes of strength training) and I woke up this morning at 188lbs . Time of the month is not a factor. I am logging correctly. I don't cheat/binge. (I'm still not feeling all that hungry). Clearly there is something wrong. My weight is going up despite exercise and a restricted diet. I'm so discouraged. It seems all the problems started after my fasting episode at the beginning of the month. I think if I were to stop exercising and just eat my predicted maintenance level of1800ish, my weight would balloon like crazy. Something is up with my metabolism. How can I fix this? I set a goal of getting to a healthy BMI by Christmas. Now, I just want to get out of the 180s.

Replies

• Anthem76
    Anthem76 Posts: 81 Member
    viajera99 wrote: »
    You might want to look into reverse dieting. Layne Norton has written a book on it, (The Complete Reverse Dieting Guide) but there's plenty of information available free on line. Here is a reasonable introduction to it from a RD:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7DmwYkkpiE

Something is up with my metabolism. How can I fix this? I set a goal of getting to a healthy BMI by Christmas. Now, I just want to get out of the 180s.

Reverse dieting is no magic panacea. It doesn't work for everyone. And when it does, it's a long process. In other words, you won't weigh 150 by Christmas, but it may help you in the long run. Best of luck to you.

This video was helpful. Basically, my metabolism has slowed from too low of calories and I need to gradually increase them to achieve a higher rate of burn. Protein and resistance training over cardio may help as well.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    as someone who truly DOES have a slower metabolism, i dont really think this is your issue. We are roughly the same age (I'm 43) and you have a solid 7 inches of height on me. To lose a pound a week (roughly) I have to eat around 1100 a day.

i think stress and increased cortisol due to chronic undereating, water retention due to increased and inconsistent exercise, and water retention due to increased food intake after fasting, are the likely culprits of the scale fluctuation.

And without being able to see your diary, I will always say that there is the possibility of inaccurate logging (generally not realized)