Breathing problems during intense exercise

Options
I attended an intense bootcamp session outside ( it was colder than normal) yesterday and suddenly 5 mins in found I was having breathing problems ( tight chest and couldn't catch my breath) and a runny nose. I don't have asthma. Any ideas what this could be?

Replies

• zaiikaa
    zaiikaa Posts: 112
    Options
    i recently moved to the midwest from the tropics, and i was in the same boat this morning in 45 degrees.
  • Shandaddii
    Options
    hmmm the only thing that comes to mind is that maybe your body is not used to the intense exercise, how often do u do that type of workout
  • rexharris
    Options
    It could be a number of things. It's most likely the effects of the cold if you haven't exercised in the cold for a while. I've had that same problem in the past and a lot of times, for me, it was because I was doing things that I just wasn't in shape to yet. If you have been doing intense cardio in a warmer climate without issues then cold is most likely the culprit.

Hope this helps.

Rex
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    It could be the cold air. Our bodies dont like working out in the cold . Your body will block you nose up so you can only intake cold air through your mouth which warms it faster into your lungs. All I can suggest is try warming up for about 10 min outside before the boot camp it might help your body adapt. Hope this helps
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    Do you have allergies? I could be a change in season. Be careful - a really good friend of mine doesn't have normal asthma, only when she exercises. She has to use an inhaler before doing any time of workout. Maybe, you have the same time of thing. She had it confirmed by a doctor.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Maybe you aren't quite ready for that level plus the colder weather could affect your breathing. Maybe take it slow until your body adjusts to the colder air.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    The air was too cold for your lungs....

In cold weather, it is better to breathe through your nose if possible because it gives the body more time to warm the air up before it reaches your lungs (it takes longer to go from the nose and it has to go through all the mucous membranes). However, durinng an intense exercise, I'm sure you were breathing through your mouth. As a result, there wasn't enough time for the air to be warm when it got there.

Only way to really prevent it is to not do intense exercise outdoors in the cold weather. :-\
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    exercise-induced asthma could be the problem. i've had that before....see a doc and take it easy!!! pilates and strength training in the interim will help.
  • prettyfitchick
    prettyfitchick Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Maybe you are not breathing right I felt this way when i began to jog and Someone told me to breath in thru nose and out thru mouth you may all be doing a workout that is more challengeing then you are use to some times we have bulid up to those really intense workouts both of this tips combined made the chest pain I was having go away but everyone on this message board is going say go to the Dr
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Don't rule out exercise-induced asthma, I never had any asthma when I was younger but developed it when I was 35 or so. An inhaler, improved fitness and changing my breathing techniques mean it no longer affects me too badly. Do get checked out!
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    That'll happen in the cold. You do become more accustomed to it over time, but that's not really much help with your immediate situation. When you feel that happening next, try focusing on your breathing and consciously slow it. This is extremely tough to do during a maximal exertion type workout, but it might help some.
  • Melmade
    Melmade Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I get asthma issues with pollen allergies. I have to use an Advair inhaler and an albuterol inhaler (one for short term relief, the other for long term relief) and the combo takes care of it.

I had a professor who had asthma related to cold as well as low humidity. He takes Singulair for it. Apparently that's the only thing that helps him or he'd be on a mobile inhaler.

On suggestion for outdoor exercise when it's cold out is to cover your mouth and nose with a bandana--they make mouth/nose covers which you can find at running/outdoor stores. That helps with the cold and humidity loss.
  • aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    All of the above are symptoms of the coldness. You'll have to get used to it if you plan on working out outside.
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Thankyou everyone for answering. It has been a real help. I have had a sore throat since and although I may still go to the bootcamp session next week, I will make sure that I warm up and may get a mask or sth to cover my my mouth as weather gets colder. I'm in the UK...anyone have any ideas where I would get one? I hope , as someone mentioned, that I will get more used to exercising in the cold as time goes on.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I will make sure that I warm up and may get a mask or sth to cover my my mouth as weather gets colder. I'm in the UK...anyone have any ideas where I would get one?
    Runners and other outdoor sport enthusiasts (myself included!) swear by Buffs:
    http://www.buffshop.co.uk/
  • Givemewings
    Options
    That's great! Thanks so much!
  • adross3
    adross3 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Sounds like Anxiety. A new enviroment and stress on your body can mimick those symptoms.
  • Givemewings
    Options
    I guess this could be another answer...but I wouldn't expect to be left with a sore throat. And I exercise fine inside and have run in warmer weather with no problem too.