Help with sore muscles after exercise.

Options
I got a blister from walking on my treadmill on Monday so Tuesday since I couldn't walk as I usually do I did Jillian Michaels Shred it with weights dvd. I have done it a few times before but I just prefer walking for now. Anyway yesterday I was sore on my legs and thighs so I didn't exercise and thought I'd be better by today. However, today I feel even more sore in the legs and thighs so much that I can barely sit down or stand up and just walking from room to room is hard. Is there anything I can do to help with this? I really want to walk today but I don't want to be in even more pain tomarrow because I have to go back to work.

Replies

• UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    If you are sore I find walking/running/biking (or whatever cardio ) the day after works out a lot of the soreness. Even if you feel sore the next day from a new exercise I wouldn't take a day off I would maybe do a lower impact workout. I always feel so much better after I exercise the next day and less sore.
  • hummzz
    hummzz Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Tiger Balm is the best for sore muscles and aches and pains. Its a sports menthol balm that is way better than Ben Gay or anything else I've used. A bit pricey, but you use less and its way more effective.

Good luck and don't stop cuz you're sore...Get get get it!!!!!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Make sure you drink a protein shake (made with real sugar) after exercising, or at least a glass of chocolate milk. Your muscles use the protein and sugars to help repair themselves. Without extra protein and sugar in your system after a workout your muscles will hold onto water and will take longer to recover, meaning more soreness.

I always had a protein shake immediately after I got home from the gym and I never had issues with soreness, even though I was doings lots of cardio and was lifting heavy weights.
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Stretch! Stretch! and stretch some more! Also, make sure you are eating enough protein. I am usually guilty of not doing enough of either.
  • jenahaynes
    Options
    A nice hot bath always helps mine :) followed by Yoga.
  • maleva720
    maleva720 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I used to work for a physical therapist and one time I did a work out and I could barely walk the next day. He told me to do the work out again. I thought I'd die but I did it and felt better not worse the next day. Also, you can take a bath with epsom salt and baking soda. Soak your body for 20-30 minutes. It really helps. Good luck!
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    If you are sore I find walking/running/biking (or whatever cardio ) the day after works out a lot of the soreness. Even if you feel sore the next day from a new exercise I wouldn't take a day off I would maybe do a lower impact workout. I always feel so much better after I exercise the next day and less sore.

^^This! If it is soreness (and not an injury), I've found that getting up and moving is the best remedy.
  • AliDarling
    Options
    alternating hot cold shower. hot first then cold, 1 min each for about 5. usually helps with me :) good luck
  • Christinichka
    Christinichka Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    It sounds counter productive but if I work out when my muscles are sore they feel less sore after. I think it warms them up and stretches them out. If you stop doing those moves until you feel better you'll never build up the strength and will always be sore after. But if you keep doing it consistently eventually you won't be as sore.
  • mrsmccullen07
    Options
    I am just wanting to follow this to learn what others do :) I did a week of Insanity before my knee just hurt way too much but during that time I ordered P90X Results & Recovery formula and after the last 2 days of Turbo Jam and walking I was rather sore last night so I used about a 1/2 a scoop in a bottle of water and I felt alot better !!