Is "The new rules of lifting for women" appropriate for me?

Options
Context: female, 54 yo, 160 cm tall (5'3), 58 kg (127 lb). Zero exercise for 20+ years.

I would like to start a weight lifting program, aiming for a sort of recomposition. I'm at a decent weight for my height, but I would like to improve my strength and look better. I've joined a gym at my work, it's cheap but there is no coaching (only a guy that explain more or less the right form for the exercises). So, I need guidance on how to start and, more important, to progress. I've read several post on the forum, suggesting New Rules of Lifting for Women, Starting strength, Strong curves, and similar programs. Which one (if any) could be good for me, given my age and my totally out-of-shape condition? Other suitable programs? I would like to build some strength (not necessarily muscle mass) to be able to lift weights in current life without pain and to be in better shape overall.

Replies

• slade51
    slade51 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I’d say that Starting Strength is aimed at powerlifting, probably not what you’re aiming for as a beginner.
    Another book for women lifters is Thinner, Leaner, Stronger by Mike Matthews.

Or most lifting apps include workout routines, some even with a suggested progression. Most start with 3 day full body, move to 4 day upper/lower, then on to splits and/or push/pull/legs.

Good luck on your journey!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    My wife started with New Rules. IMO, it's a great place to start...the read itself is very helpful for women who've never lifted before and the program is pretty good, though I found it to be a bit convoluted towards the end. She then went on to Strong Curves and now she works with a trainer once per week and gives her "homework" as well.

Starting Strength is a basic beginners barbell routine. It is good for learning the basic compound lifts but is geared more towards a power lifting emphasis, though many go onto other routines that aren't power lifting focused as it does build a good foundation of strength to work with going forward. My wife did it with me briefly but didn't really like it and found it pretty boring. I ran it for a few months as a beginner routine.

Both are full or nearly full body routines. I've been lifting for several years now and I still prefer full body routines to splits as does my wife. I have limited time availability for the gym so my workouts need to not only be effective, but efficient. Good full body routines fit that bill as most are run 2-3x per week and optimally you want to hit each muscle group 2x per week.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    yuko0407 wrote: »
    Context: female, 54 yo, 160 cm tall (5'3), 58 kg (127 lb). Zero exercise for 20+ years.

I would like to start a weight lifting program, aiming for a sort of recomposition. I'm at a decent weight for my height, but I would like to improve my strength and look better. I've joined a gym at my work, it's cheap but there is no coaching (only a guy that explain more or less the right form for the exercises). So, I need guidance on how to start and, more important, to progress. I've read several post on the forum, suggesting New Rules of Lifting for Women, Starting strength, Strong curves, and similar programs. Which one (if any) could be good for me, given my age and my totally out-of-shape condition? Other suitable programs? I would like to build some strength (not necessarily muscle mass) to be able to lift weights in current life without pain and to be in better shape overall.

I think "New Rules of Lifting for Women" is a good read and recommend seeing if your library system has it for that alone. That and "Strong Curves" are supposed to be suitable for beginners. I'm not a beginner and I think they are not suitable for beginners our age, or women our age with some physical challenges.

I also found both of them very hard to follow - too much flipping around. So they are sitting on my shelves.

I do recommend this:

The RBG Workout

It IS suitable for beginners and is super easy to follow.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    I started with New Rules for Lifting for Life when I was about 40 (now 45). I actually Facebook messaged the author of the books, and he said given my injury/aches history, that the Lifting for Life one would be better for me. It's geared more towards older people (which I hated to admit I was at 40) with possible history of more aches and pains and longer recovery time. I then moved on to Lifting for Women after that. Not only am I way stronger now, I don't have nearly the amount of muscle/joint aches and pains that I used to have.
  • KerryITD
    KerryITD Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    "Strong Women Stay Young" made a huge difference to me and to my understanding of progressive strength training. it's also fun to read and empowering, as it really explains the science.
  • yuko0407
    yuko0407 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Many thanks to everyone who replied! A lot of programs to take a look into. Thanks!
  • AKTipsyCat
    AKTipsyCat Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I started seriously doing 5x5 Stronglifts when I was 52, it's stupid simple and it works for me (when I'm consistent) quit for a few months because of *waves around wildly* Life, but started back up a few weeks ago and it's one of the favorite parts of my day. I'm not one with a lot of time, and I get bored with countless repetitions of light weights, which is what so many folks suggest. It's a fast work out, I do it 3x a week, and for me anyway, it's the quickest way to change my body. My legs and arms have never looked better - even when I weighed a lot less.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    I went with a simpler program than Starting Strength, but did really like his book for the detail on form (I even re-referenced when returning from injury, COVID closures). A lot of what to look out for and how to fix issues on the squat, press, etc.

(ETA: I went with the programming on aworkoutroutine.com .. about as streamlined and K.I.S.S. as possible for someone with limited time).
  • kshama2001
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    I went with a simpler program than Starting Strength, but did really like his book for the detail on form (I even re-referenced when returning from injury, COVID closures). A lot of what to look out for and how to fix issues on the squat, press, etc.

(ETA: I went with the programming on aworkoutroutine.com .. about as streamlined and K.I.S.S. as possible for someone with limited time).

Oh, I like aworkoutroutine.com articles.

Here's how Jay defines a beginner (so I am a beginner after all, lol):

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/beginner-workouts/

"...I and most others consider a beginner to be anyone who has been weight training for LESS than 6 months *consistently* and *intelligently*."

And here is a beginner workout:

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-beginner-weight-training-workout-routine/
  • yuko0407
    Options
    @ritzvin @kshama2001
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    ritzvin wrote: »

Oh, I like aworkoutroutine.com articles.

Here's how Jay defines a beginner (so I am a beginner after all, lol):

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/beginner-workouts/

"...I and most others consider a beginner to be anyone who has been weight training for LESS than 6 months *consistently* and *intelligently*."

And here is a beginner workout:

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-beginner-weight-training-workout-routine/

I like aworkoutroutine.com articles, too! Problem is, I'm unable to lift a barbell, even the empty bar, lol... I'm starting with dumbbells, performing squats, overhead press and bench press. I'm not sure how to do dumbbell deadlift, though. At the moment, I'm at 8 kg for the squat (2X4 kg) and 12 kg (2 X 6 kg) for the presses. I also do lat pulldowns with a machine (15 kg). I'll complete with dummbell rows, as indicated by Jay, and follow his prescription for progression.
    Thank you all !
  • kshama2001
    Options
    I don't currently have a gym membership and just have dumbbells at home. Here's an article and video on dumbbell deadlift:

https://www.muscleandfitness.com/exercise/workouts/leg-exercises/dumbbell-deadlift/
  • yuko0407
    Options
    @kshama2001 Great, thanks!!
  • MK2326
    MK2326 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hannah Oberg and Stephanie Buttermore have some good beginner programs. Hannah has an app called OWNU which is decently affordable.
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    Hello. I found this to be helpful. I started with just this slowly added in additional days of other varied workouts (trx, boxing, step, kettllebell, plain ol dancing, treadmill). Two days was enough for me - but my goals may be less lofty!

https://youtu.be/oAHwQJLFy6w
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    I'm not a huge fan of any programs you mentioned but honestly it doesn't matter which one you pick if you haven't lifted as you say. Pick one the appeases you and you have the equipment available and run it. You will respond rather sensitive to new stimulus regardless of which program.

One piece of advice I would surely emphasize is do at least half of the sets the first 2-4 weeks. There is plenty of stimulus to drive a adaptation for strength and you literally don't need much when you are just starting. If you do full load it won't benefit you any greater and more than likely you will experience DOMS to the point it might effect you out of the gym. In other words the volume these programs start with is inappropriate for your current situation as a individual.

I have over four decades of training experience and my favorite people to train is people of your situation, age, and above. Remember one doesn't need to feel exhausted to achieve results. I'm very glad you are taking this step.
  • age_is_just_a_number
    Options
    I’m about your same age, height and weight. I started exercising about 4 years ago. I use BeachBody on demand and FitOn apps.
    I’ve read thinner leaner stronger by Mike matthews. I found that program effective, but boring.
    From my perspective, the most important part of any exercise program you choose is for you to enjoy it and keep doing it.

Try this article on the difference between strength training and muscle building. https://www.verywellfit.com/muscle-size-versus-strength-what-you-need-to-know-3498216. An excerpt from this article is:

Muscle building aims to induce hypertrophy of muscle tissue with the muscle gaining overall size. On the other hand, strength training aims to increase the functional ability of the muscles.
    A few key differences come to mind when comparing hypertrophy and strength training. Hypertrophy training requires a higher training volume with more frequent workouts and shorter rest periods in between sets. The workouts include more sets and reps with a lower weight.
    Strength training has a lower training volume (fewer days, longer rest periods) but higher intensity. The goal is to lift heavier weights with fewer reps and sets.